• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A restaurant has ripped off my VISA card."

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Points well taken, however, I can only form opinions on my own experiences. I think things are changing too with Tesco. I read a couple of weeks back in the Telegraph that they're starting their own bank and will be doing current accounts before too long.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by C5/6 View Post
    I think you see my point there.
    I do indeed, I had considered making the same point, but couldn't be bothered since many people simply won't accept that an awful lot of these financial products are co branded rather than independant.

I know a couple of people that proclaim to loathe various banks products yet adore the co branded ones despite the entire back end mechanism including customer service being common.

Leave a comment:

• C5/6
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    RBS, Tesco Credit cards, insurance and banking producs are all RBS co branded products or they certainly used to be a year or 3 back.
    I think you see my point there.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by C5/6 View Post
    Strange the conclusion of this thread seems to be:

Tesco Visa --> Good
    RBS Mastercard --> Bad

Yet, who runs tesco's banking operations?
    RBS, Tesco Credit cards, insurance and banking producs are all RBS co branded products or they certainly used to be a year or 3 back.

Leave a comment:

• C5/6
    replied
    Strange the conclusion of this thread seems to be:

Tesco Visa --> Good
    RBS Mastercard --> Bad

Yet, who runs tesco's banking operations?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Good luck with your case. Since the Asian restaurant in my case is local, I confronted the owner the day I discovered the fraud. To be honest, I doubt it's him that did it. It'll more likely be one of the casual labour types these places tend to employ I guess. I'm not expecting any further issues but I'm now aware of the pitfalls thanks.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    In my case, Tesco VISA put the case straight into dispute. I never actually paid the £300. I really can recommend Tesco VISA. When my card got hacked last year after a visit to Frankfurt, they were very helpful.
    I never paid the £300 for the pc either but the bastards (RBS) didnt immediately put it in dispute despite telling them in my S75 claim that I wasnt paying the money nor any interest they would try and add to the account.

However, my main point with regards your situation is that RBS have said the money is refunded to my account but they have now referred it to Mastercard who will have been informed of the dispute and requested to withdraw £300 from the retailer's account. (Presumably, Tesco will do the same with Visa.)

This suggests the retailer may attempt to dispute the whole thing to try and prevent the £300 being taken back from him. The fact that he hasnt replied to a single one of my letters on the subject should just re-enforce what an absolute piss poor company PC Desktop Options are when it comes to meeting their statutory requirements.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I hope you are right but be warned. See my thread here http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...it-card-3.html

Your 'card issuer' ie Lloyds TSB, RBS etc may have agreed to refund or rather re credit your account by £300 but if your card issuer is like RBS, they will inform you by letter soon that they have 'submitted your enquiry to the retailer's bank in line with our membership of Visa \ Mastercard who will asses your case and correspond with the merchant............'

The duff pc I bought on my RBS Mastercard was covered by S75 of the Consumer Credit Act. RBS 's recent letter to me suggests they have refunded the £300 plus interest owed to me but that the retailer's bank \ Visa \ Mastercard still have a say in it.

That's not my understanding of S75 as the card issuer ie RBS, is jointly and severally liable.
    In my case, Tesco VISA put the case straight into dispute. I never actually paid the £300. I really can recommend Tesco VISA. When my card got hacked last year after a visit to Frankfurt, they were very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But you got your money back
    Yep. Actually, because it was "in dispute" I never actually paid that £300.

Leave a comment:

• smiff
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    About six or seven years ago, I took a telephone call from Barclaycard to tell me that the Lloyds Bank in Dalston wanted me to contact them.

I telephoned them and spoke to a young lady who asked "Have you written out a Barclaycard cheque for £4,400.00 to a Mr Ali?".

"No, I haven't." I replied.

"I didn't think so." she said. "What do you normally do with your old Barclaycard cheques?"

I telephoned Barclaycard to advise that someone had been trying to cash Barclaycard cheques from my account and they were not in the slightest bit interested.

I did two things - closed my Barclaycard account and purchased a shredder.
    Happened to me with MBNA Credit Card cheques. They sent some (unsolicited of course), they got intercepted in the mail, and someone cashed one of them for £5000.

Called MBNA, they didn't seem that bothered and credited the 5k back straight away. In fact, they were so laid back about it, must be great to be so chilled out about fraud.

Of course, I blasted them about sending out unsolicited cheques too. Left them soon after.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Well, it has taken a while, but I've got the £300 credited back to my VISA account. Apparently, the transaction was put through to VISA as a "client not present" transaction. Restaurant/restaurant's bank could not produce any evidence that I had made an order by phone/not present. Case closed, but I guess the restaurant gets off scot free. No justice in the world.
    I hope you are right but be warned. See my thread here http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...it-card-3.html

Your 'card issuer' ie Lloyds TSB, RBS etc may have agreed to refund or rather re credit your account by £300 but if your card issuer is like RBS, they will inform you by letter soon that they have 'submitted your enquiry to the retailer's bank in line with our membership of Visa \ Mastercard who will asses your case and correspond with the merchant............'

The duff pc I bought on my RBS Mastercard was covered by S75 of the Consumer Credit Act. RBS 's recent letter to me suggests they have refunded the £300 plus interest owed to me but that the retailer's bank \ Visa \ Mastercard still have a say in it.

That's not my understanding of S75 as the card issuer ie RBS, is jointly and severally liable.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Well, it has taken a while, but I've got the £300 credited back to my VISA account. Apparently, the transaction was put through to VISA as a "client not present" transaction. Restaurant/restaurant's bank could not produce any evidence that I had made an order by phone/not present. Case closed, but I guess the restaurant gets off scot free. No justice in the world.
    But you got your money back

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Is that really, really true?

If it is, I am going to be lost for words: 'appalled' and 'conned' won't suffice.

Is it a feature of chip 'n' pin or is it just one retailer who has designed a system to allow fraud?

Yes, there was an article about two years ago whereby a driver had complained that his garage bill had been changed and this was the 'incredible' explanation given. Check your CC statements regularly folks !!!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Chip and pin is great. My card isn't chip and pin, so I have to sign - and as that's so rare, they actually check the signature.
    If it were me, I would ask for your passport, driving licence, DNA and a sperm sample you dodgy looking character

Leave a comment:

Working...
X