• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A restaurant has ripped off my VISA card.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    The police won't be interested. Happened to me a while back, contacted the card fraud dept. Had to cancel my card but got all the money back eventually.
    That is what will happen after tomorrow. I'll see what happens first when I go down there.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      The police won't be interested. Happened to me a while back, contacted the card fraud dept. Had to cancel my card but got all the money back eventually.
      Card company don't care either, beyond getting their dosh back.

Fraud is a risk-free crime - the chance of criminal action is near zero.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
        Card company don't care either, beyond getting their dosh back.

Fraud is a risk-free crime - the chance of criminal action is near zero.
        About six or seven years ago, I took a telephone call from Barclaycard to tell me that the Lloyds Bank in Dalston wanted me to contact them.

I telephoned them and spoke to a young lady who asked "Have you written out a Barclaycard cheque for £4,400.00 to a Mr Ali?".

"No, I haven't." I replied.

"I didn't think so." she said. "What do you normally do with your old Barclaycard cheques?"

I telephoned Barclaycard to advise that someone had been trying to cash Barclaycard cheques from my account and they were not in the slightest bit interested.

I did two things - closed my Barclaycard account and purchased a shredder.

Comment

About to go down to Barclays and give them an ear full, closed my account about 5 years ago and they are still sending me out statements every year to my old address.

I found out that they charged me 22 quid on my account, phoned them up and was told that I had to go down to my branch. I told them I did not have a branch as I do not have an account and that my old branch had closed. I wanted to know exactly what information they had on me and what services they had been providing over the last 5 years. He hung up.

Reminds me that I moved due to their crap customer service.

Comment

The card companies are taking a hammering with many companies going tits up and people having bought goods from them using their cards wanting their money back.

Although Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes the card co jointly responsible, they or rather RBS at least, are doing their level best to duck out of that piece of legislation as Im finding to my cost!

Chip & PIN also shifted the burden of fraud realities onto the merchant or cardholder, whichever one they can pin it into.

There have been a couple of cases recently where card co's have used chip & pin as an excuse to not re imburse the card holder any fraudulently obtained money. These have had to go before the financial ombudsman who eventually found for the cardholder.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              The card companies are taking a hammering with many companies going tits up and people having bought goods from them using their cards wanting their money back.

Although Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes the card co jointly responsible, they or rather RBS at least, are doing their level best to duck out of that piece of legislation as Im finding to my cost!

Chip & PIN also shifted the burden of fraud realities onto the merchant or cardholder, whichever one they can pin it into.

There have been a couple of cases recently where card co's have used chip & pin as an excuse to not re imburse the card holder any fraudulently obtained money. These have had to go before the financial ombudsman who eventually found for the cardholder.
              Yes, the card companies have managed to come up with this story that a chip & pin transaction can only be done with the pin, so it must either have been the cardholder or somebody that the cardholder gave the pin to; therefore it's not their responsibility.

The police won't do anything for you because once you do manage to stick it to the card company, it is them and not you that have been defrauded.

Like Verified by Visa, it adds no real security, but does allow the card companies to try weasel out of it by claiming that it must be your fault.

Example for Verified by Visa: I made an online purchase yesterday with a card I hadn't used for that fr a while, and couldn't remember my Verified by Visa password. So I requested a new on online: all I needed was the card in front of me, and my date of birth, and I was in right away. Secure?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Like Verified by Visa, it adds no real security, but does allow the card companies to try weasel out of it by claiming that it must be your fault.
                The Co-op bank sent me a letter last week saying they were imposing Verified by Visa. To make it easier for me, they had already set it up and allocated a password. My internet banking password.

Isn't that just a tiny bit furkin stupid?
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  A restaurant that I have used regularly the last 6 months has put through an unauthorised transaction for £300 last weekend. I just checked my VISA statement on line and found the transaction. Ironically, I was in there earlier tonight, never again though. They use chip and pin when I pay for a meal in the place. So, how did they manage to put the transaction through, they wouldn't know my pin I'm sure?
                  How did you know it was them who did it?

A few years ago a similar thing happened to me, but before chip and pin. Suspicious debits turned up on my statement. The purchases had a telephone number in the transaction detail, so I rang them. They gave me the mobile number of the guy who had ordered the goods, from this I managed to find out his name and rang the suspect restaurant asking for that person (to check if it were there it happened). Bingo, it was his day off that night!

Rang the police and gave them this info. They commented that "they could do with some people with initiative like me" but they would not of been allowed to do such an investigation! However, as I had given them the info they would check it out. Had a call a few days later to say the guy had been sacked and the reastaurant would refund my last meal cost. Never recieved that money, I suspect the police kept it!
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    The Co-op bank sent me a letter last week saying they were imposing Verified by Visa. To make it easier for me, they had already set it up and allocated a password. My internet banking password.

Isn't that just a tiny bit furkin stupid?
                    Isn't it the security name that you gave (and have probably forgotten), rather than the password? Don't know for sure because it's not switched on yet, but I thought that's what they said.

Comment

With Chip and Pin, garages have a period of time after a sale that they can make adjustments for errors that override the security. They have no need to have the pin number to amend a transaction.

I trust people check there petrol charges on their CC statements !!

Comment

Working...
                      X