• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No need to panic after all."

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I guess the people running the massive simulations on super-computers are being told otherwise... of course the worrying thing is people on these boards might have been involved writing the simulation software....
    Did anyone see Channel 4's Ascent of Money in November/December?

In the last episode, the presenter described the LTCM (Long Term Capital Management) disaster - basically a couple of Maths whizzes had come up with a fancy formula which couldn't lose, but their model was based on data going back only a piddling 5 years. If they had just gone back 11 years they would have included the 1987 crash, and if they'd gone back 80 years they would have captured the Russian default of 1917.

It's 30 minutes into the programme.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Has quantitive easing already started?

http://www.johnredwoodsdiary.com/200...c-and-the-bbc/
    You do know it is now against the law to say it, if indeed they are, as mentioned here a few weeks ago now.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Has quantitive easing already started?

http://www.johnredwoodsdiary.com/200...c-and-the-bbc/

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Hmmm. My plan B to open a wheelbarrow emporium doesn't seem so silly now.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I'm going to build my own printing press and buy shares in FTSE companies until I'm the major shareholder in all of the countries top companies and banks.
    The companies have money that they can invest. The banks have money that they can lend to businesses and mortgagees, and I become the countries largest shareholder.
    That's the same as the govt are proposing, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    On the plus side, hyperinflation means we could all get contracts in the Euro zone and pay off our mortgages in about a week.

*BOOMED*

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    2. If everyone's printing money and global demand destruction is rampant, what do prices inflate against?
    commodities and goods

So prices of all your purchases will skyrocket - I hope you get to change your daily rate so you are not stuck on an old rate for long. You will work for peanuts or less.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    QE will be used to make the government look good, not to fix our economy. If anyone believes we can have a huge BOOM without even a small bust are living in lala land, QE just moves the timeline out a bit, but the pain will be felt eventually.

Much rather just leave interest rates around 1% for 6 months, force the banks to open up their books and air their bad debts/assets so we can get this tulip over with. Then whack up interest rates back to 6% to ward off inflation, promote saving, thereby recapitalizing the banks, govt coffers (via gilts) and we ca have some semblence of normal monetary operation.

I would rather have 9-12 months of doom than 12 months of quiet before 3-5 years of the worst storm since the great depression.
    That all makes sense to me but what do I know - I also like Gonzo's comment that nobody really knows what they are doing.

The only fly in the ointment seems to be that if the government does it, they'll be even more f***ed at the next general election. So they won't do it.

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    QE will be used to make the government look good, not to fix our economy. If anyone believes we can have a huge BOOM without even a small bust are living in lala land, QE just moves the timeline out a bit, but the pain will be felt eventually.

Much rather just leave interest rates around 1% for 6 months, force the banks to open up their books and air their bad debts/assets so we can get this tulip over with. Then whack up interest rates back to 6% to ward off inflation, promote saving, thereby recapitalizing the banks, govt coffers (via gilts) and we ca have some semblence of normal monetary operation.

I would rather have 9-12 months of doom than 12 months of quiet before 3-5 years of the worst storm since the great depression.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I guess the people running the massive simulations on super-computers are being told otherwise... of course the worrying thing is people on these boards might have been involved writing the simulation software....
    When we are babies we slowly try to make sense of this world around us into which we have been born. The most natural thing is for us to think that the world works in the way that we experience it and has always done so.

But that is not the case. When I think about the way that I have gone about my daily life today, someone living 100 years ago would hardly recognise it.

So what I am getting at, is that it is not a safe assumption that people know what they are doing, that includes the modellers and the economists. The confidence that you have in someone's competence is inversely proportional to the number of times that they have conducted the activity. At the moment, I don't think that there is any experience that can be drawn upon, which is why we are in deep do-do.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    Who do you mean by everyone? As far as I see it, only people likely to print shedloads of cash are the US (reserve currency status, commodities like oil priced in $) and the UK.

If common consensus is true and the US are already printing money (they already have legislation that allows them to withold the fact that they are) then their currency has NOT taken a beating like sterling.

The EU wont do it, as too many countries in surplus or well within normal operating status would be negatively impacted, Japan and China both devalue their currency to keep their exports flowing. Iceland is too small to matter, and we all know about Zimbabwe.

I am positive Britain will be in isolation with regards to huge currency devaluation if they kick the printing presses into overdrive, no other country that counts in the global economy has so many negative indicators as us.
    Good points and largely agree actually, but how would "Japan and China both devalue their currency to keep their exports flowing" ? By printing money in Japans case, and state control in China which would mean that sterling would not inflate relatively. Euro area I'm not sure, but I think they will continue interest rate cuts. Euro is too strong really.

I do think that after a year or 2 then we see inflation in US, UK, especially in relation to Asian currencies.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Quantative easing will inevitably lead to a devaluation. Think of it as the UK Government taking money out of peoples accounts and spending it for them. If QE is done in a limited fashion it will lead to a devaluation step, so causing inflation at some point in the future, but not out of control.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    2. If everyone's printing money and global demand destruction is rampant, what do prices inflate against?
    Not every country has had quite the same appetite for debt over the past five years that the UK has.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I can't. I really can't see any other outcome.

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    Well 2 things:
    1. Currency already devalued (25% against the Euro - that's more than "Black Wednesday").
    Who do you mean by everyone? As far as I see it, only people likely to print shedloads of cash are the US (reserve currency status, commodities like oil priced in $) and the UK.

If common consensus is true and the US are already printing money (they already have legislation that allows them to withold the fact that they are) then their currency has NOT taken a beating like sterling.

The EU wont do it, as too many countries in surplus or well within normal operating status would be negatively impacted, Japan and China both devalue their currency to keep their exports flowing. Iceland is too small to matter, and we all know about Zimbabwe.

I am positive Britain will be in isolation with regards to huge currency devaluation if they kick the printing presses into overdrive, no other country that counts in the global economy has so many negative indicators as us.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X