• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dumb question: what is SAP"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    SAP’s UK users don’t get it - yet

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Franko,

'Yet you haven't managed to explain what SAP is though. ',

I suggest you re-read this thread, then write what you think SAP is and we will correct you.

Before running a training course I need to know the level of understanding of the target subject of the target audience.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    looks lads, itä's Franko innit

nuff said

Milan.
    Milan isn't it a bit pathetic to say... "guys you don't know anything about changing tapes" - well we all have to know something in life so you too, yes, you must know something. Yet you haven't managed to explain what SAP is though. So if I were you, I would be worried that I don't even know how to explain the only thing I have knowledge of...

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied

nuff said

Milan.
    morning milan

did you get some good hours in over the weekend?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

nuff said

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Ok, that's possibly true for analysis/gap analysis/gathering requirements, but that's a small part of SAP work.
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Ok, that's possibly true for analysis/gap analysis/gathering requirements, but that's a small part of SAP work.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Certainly Francko's view is completely outside my over ten years of experience.

And I can spell "Automony" The trick is, in recognising the prefix "auto". Maybe it was confused with autochtone.
    Aber Ich kann Deutsch sicher besser buchstabieren.

Sorry not sure which view is totally outside? Care to explain or you just like single-line conversations?

Sorry Thomas I might have put some confusion before. What I just meant is that it's more likely that you have some possible customisation work on a SAP system at a local branch or a small company because the first thing that each company need is an ERP. Without that you are doomed to fail. Then come all the other integration systems (and most of the small companies don't have any, simply because they can't afford them or they don't need them). Here why you might still find SAP contracts in less popular locations. I'd also think that a very important thing for a SAP analyst (I never worked on it but on a team we often worked side-by-side) is that he doesn't limit himself to only read reports and process-manuals but actually go and talk to the main business actors. Perhaps I got the wrong impression.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    I don't follow. Which "view" are you referring to?
    Edited my post, but it should have been obvious with my reference to Autonomy.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Certainly this view is completely outside my over ten years of experience.

And I can spell "Automony" The trick is, in recognise the prefix "auto". Maybe it was confused with autochtone.
    I don't follow. Which "view" are you referring to?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Certainly Francko's view is completely outside my over ten years of experience.

And I can spell "Automony" The trick is, in recognising the prefix "auto". Maybe it was confused with autochtone.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 9 November 2008, 21:26.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    If the branch has some authonomy in the business processes (and normally it is) there is no other way then doing the analysis on-site. Besides, there are plenty of companies located outside big towns with no head-quarters. And yes, most of them have a SAP system in-house because of the strategic importance and the strong relation with the business, but they probably outsource the rest of IT functions. A portal or an expensive core functional system is most likely instead located centrally at the headquarter or outsourced to a major company (located in a big town).
    I disagree a lot with this. Maybe this is true for small scale systems, but it is not true for SAP.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    this argument about companies having to change their business processes to fit the erp systems

this is a real phylosophical argument with many sides

there are companies who have processes in place, why do they do things that way.... because they always have, is it the best way.... they don't know

many companies would do well to have a look at their business processes and compare them to the erp standards and see what the fit gaps are and whether there are positive or negative reasons for the gaps

of course the erp systems are infinately customisable and can be changed to fit any business and these kinds of projects changing erp to fit some company set in its ways can be the most lucrative because of all the customisation work

but at the same time, companies would do well to take an open minded look at how they do things and whether they really are the best ways or simply because that's the way the lazy sods have always done it

no skin off my nose either way

to the question about the profitability of the chocolate factory, from the little I know they are doing very well

Milan.
    Way back when, when I first started this IT lark and the computers we worked on cost several times the total of the entire IT staff's own houses put together, we were taught to get the business processes right before we even considered computerizing them.

Since the cost of development long ago outstripped the cost of the tin it gets done on, we should be just as conscious of getting the business requirements set out clearly and formulated into an efficient process as back in those days.

It's a shame, but it seems to me that this isn't taught this any more.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    in defense of Frankie all of them could be on SAP, if they were part of a chain and using a centrally managed system. I doubt though that a contract for working on the SAP system would require you to be located in that village. Most likely you would be located in Central London as that is where all the chains they would be part of have their HQ.

I work on a SAP system every day that are used by workers all over the world, that does not mean I have to sit in Ukraine or the Philliphines just because the user with a problem is there.
    If the branch has some authonomy in the business processes (and normally it is) there is no other way then doing the analysis on-site. Besides, there are plenty of companies located outside big towns with no head-quarters. And yes, most of them have a SAP system in-house because of the strategic importance and the strong relation with the business, but they probably outsource the rest of IT functions. A portal or an expensive core functional system is most likely instead located centrally at the headquarter or outsourced to a major company (located in a big town).

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    The small village I grew up in has the following enterprises:
    • 2 churches
    • 4 pubs
    • 1 post office
    • 1 hairdressers

AFAIK, none of them run SAP, but I may be mistaken...
    in defense of Frankie all of them could be on SAP, if they were part of a chain and using a centrally managed system. I doubt though that a contract for working on the SAP system would require you to be located in that village. Most likely you would be located in Central London as that is where all the chains they would be part of have their HQ.

I work on a SAP system every day that are used by workers all over the world, that does not mean I have to sit in Ukraine or the Philliphines just because the user with a problem is there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X