• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Renting near(ish) Heathrow ... Getting used to Aircraft Noises"

Collapse

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I used to live under the Stansted flight path and although I got used to the noise it was obtrusive when trying to relax in the garden.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    I didn't.

After 6 years of being woken up at 5:30 every morning, I decided that I had to move.

Pity, it was such a nice place to live.

tim
    Oh well I must just be a better sleeper than you I guess.

Not tonight though, it would seem (posted at 02:45am).

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Yes you will get used to it.

I didn't.

After 6 years of being woken up at 5:30 every morning, I decided that I had to move.

Pity, it was such a nice place to live.

tim

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Where did my post go? Posted last night. Mods, what gives? Surely not my describing Hounslow as a toilet?
    Describing Houndslow as a toilet would be an insult to toilets.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Likely View Post
    The next Chapter of my contracting life seems to be taking me to a 3 months studio-rent in the Heathrow-nearby-parishes of Isleworth/Hounslow/Southhall. Anyone living there and can confirm if you get used to horrendous sound from the descending air-crafts ? Every 5 mins ? .

I am pretty certain I better get some ear-plugs ASAP
    Yes you will get used to it.

I lived in a crappy bedsit in Hounslow 10 years ago and can report that for the first three weeks I would be woken at 5:30am by the first flights into Heathrow. But then I got used to it and slept through it no problem.

Concorde was a fine beast to watch come in to land right over my head. No more, alas.

Also great if you're a terrorist with a rocket launcher. Which I wasn't, I'm sure you'll be glad to know...

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Where did my post go? Posted last night. Mods, what gives? Surely not my describing Hounslow as a toilet?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The next Chapter of my contracting life seems to be taking me to a 3 months studio-rent in the Heathrow-nearby-parishes of Isleworth/Hounslow/Southhall. Anyone living there and can confirm if you get used to horrendous sound from the descending air-crafts ? Every 5 mins ? .

I am pretty certain I better get some ear-plugs ASAP
    Shouldn't this be posted under "Contractor Lifestyle (post Credit Crunch)"?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    You're a contractor FFS, get a flat in St. Margarets or Richmond. Guessing you're at Sky?
    Noo! Richmond is right underneath the flight path if they are using the South Runway for landings.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    You're a contractor FFS, get a flat in St. Margarets or Richmond. Guessing you're at Sky?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I live under a flight path. If the planes are landing continuously then they always get on your nerves, if they are directly overhead, but you can sleep through it. You don't have to be far from the flight path and the noise drops dramatically; half a mile makes a huge difference to the noise level. I don't mind the 6 am landings because I sleep through it, and I don't mind the take offs because they don't follow the same path so they only come over occasionally.

Yes ear plugs are advisable until you get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Full of Chav's
    So is West LOndon. At least East LOndon has good transport links to the city - and no aircraft noise.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...Last defence - a pillow on the head ?
    Get someone to hold it down for you, and you'll never be bothered again.

Or by some SAMs.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Still time to move to the best bit of LOndon - East.....
    Full of Chav's

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Well it is temporary and is Isleworth which is 1 mile further away compared to Hounslow.

Calming myself down ..
    Still time to move to the best bit of LOndon - East.....

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    move all the deaf people near Heathrow
    move all the blind people to Salford (they dont have to look at the slappers)
    move all the fat people to Yorkshire because its flat
    move all the good swimmers to Bocastle
    move all the robbers to Liverpool
    move all those with linguistic difficulties to Birmingham

Leave a comment:

Working...
X