• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Credit Card Fraud

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Credit Card Fraud"

Collapse

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    The point with this system is that it is easier to make a screen that you can only see when you are directly in front of it so the criminal looking over your shoulder would only see a blank screen. Most criminals will be watching the keypad and looking at the pattern you are typing out, not the physical numbers, this system would make thier life a whole lot harder.

I think that anybody who can currently use a chip and pin terminal or a cash machine should be fine. The people that currently can't use them are lost causes anyway.
    I would advocate (no pun intended) that the same effect could be achieved with 3 large pieces of cardboard around the terminal fixed in place with some sticky tape...without the need to instigate a behavioural change in the general population.

The issue really is that people are looking for technical and 'snazzy' solutions to solve security problems (i.e. the ING Direct entry) and are more focussed on the 'snazzy' than the useability or increased security. Which is not to say that 'percieved security' is unmarketable; banks do this all the time (customers with that warm fuzzy feeling are valuable), but it doesn't effectively mitigate the risk.

I'm not saying that a dynamic keypad doesn't have it's place (where the risk appetite is high) but I am saying it's not appropriate for my weekly shopping in Sainsburys.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Worked on chip & pin in late eighties, card companies turned it down as too expensive to implement. We had working signature verification then too, being biometric its pretty safe from fraud.

Chip & pin was working on the continent 20 years ago, saving lots of money, but then the technology wasn't as cheap.

I have seen signature pads in use all over the world, except of course the UK.

Suggest they implement signature verification for any purchases over £50 and stop fraud in its tracks.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    Ah the famed "Granny test" and pretty much my point on the useability side of things.

The security point of view is how ridiculous it is to suggest that criminals are incapable of looking at the screen and keypad at the same time. The 'data' that needs to be stolen is the actual numbers, not the physical key positions.
    The point with this system is that it is easier to make a screen that you can only see when you are directly in front of it so the criminal looking over your shoulder would only see a blank screen. Most criminals will be watching the keypad and looking at the pattern you are typing out, not the physical numbers, this system would make thier life a whole lot harder.

I think that anybody who can currently use a chip and pin terminal or a cash machine should be fine. The people that currently can't use them are lost causes anyway.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    http://www.gridsure.com/

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Your confidence in your fellow man is admirable
    My "confidence in my fellow man" is based purely on validated research and observation. Many of them have reached the limit of their technical ability once they've mastered the use of toilet paper.

I have observed properly-constructed user testing sessions - the real thing, with ordinary people on the other side of the one-way mirror. Many of them have trouble grasping the most basic aspects of technology - start shifting stuff around at random and they're not going to get it.

Come to that, there's been quite a few times when I've seen somebody get utterly confused by a normal cash machine, without the added complication of moving the buttons around.

And you know those queues that form for the ticket office in the Tube station, even though all the self-service machines are available and working? That's people who get confused by all the buttons and touch-screens - they'd rather wait five minutes and have another person do the thinking for them.

I'm not saying this makes them bad people, they're just not technically minded, and there's no reason why they should have to change just because some security consultant has a wizard idea but has no understanding at all of human factors.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    So a random grid could work then?
    Yes it could, but it's one more piece of expensive equipment to fail for small shop-owners. And as has been said elsewhere, it's a cost to the banking industry which it gets no return for.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    It'll work but with a higher failure rate and no increase in security from the current system.

On an entirely unrelated note, I've got a couple of jars of snake oil going cheap if anyone's interested....

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    No I can remember it when required

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    I am staggered that you are intimating you couldn't remember a 4 digit number
    No I can remember it when required, but my fingers are used to the 'phone pad' pattern of the keys so do it for me.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    He can, but his fingers 'remember' it more quickly...

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    I tend to remember the 'pattern' of my pin, rather than the number. Muscle memory.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    A pity that the police can't see it...
    it would too easy for the police to workout that they need to ring Odeon, find out which cinema then watch and see.

i'm tempted. i'd happily drive to that cinema and watch. Odeon would even be able to tell which film and showing time.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Most people can scarcely count to ten as it is. Are you looking forward to being stuck behind the elderly person with short sight who has to spend ten minutes squinting at the display trying to work out where the 4 has gone?

It might be OK for scientists and IT contractors, but the majority of people would be utterly confused and would make mistakes so frequently as to render such a system unworkable.
    presbyopia. Short-sightedness actually helps you see up-close

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Most people can scarcely count to ten as it is. Are you looking forward to being stuck behind the elderly person with short sight who has to spend ten minutes squinting at the display trying to work out where the 4 has gone?

It might be OK for scientists and IT contractors, but the majority of people would be utterly confused and would make mistakes so frequently as to render such a system unworkable.
    Ah the famed "Granny test" and pretty much my point on the useability side of things.

The security point of view is how ridiculous it is to suggest that criminals are incapable of looking at the screen and keypad at the same time. The 'data' that needs to be stolen is the actual numbers, not the physical key positions.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    It might be OK for scientists and IT contractors, but the majority of people would be utterly confused
    I think scientists will be offended being included in the same intelligence level group as IT contractors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X