• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "does maths ability have a shelf life?"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Re: does maths ability have a shelf life?

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I think you lose interest in concentrating for long periods of time when you get older.

It is why people find it hard to learn musical instruments when they get older, they just cannot be arsed putting in the hours day after day. Snooker players always dive when they get into their 30s as they will not do the 6-8 hours practice a day.
    It's not the lack of interest, it's the lack of time. Having said that, if you really want to learn something then you find or make the time.

Back to the original topic though: I had to revisit statistics for my masters degree after over 15 years and didn't find it much of a problem. Bit like riding a bike, you might be a little wobbly or unsure after a few years but you get back in the groove pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think you lose interest in concentrating for long periods of time when you get older.

It is why people find it hard to learn musical instruments when they get older, they just cannot be arsed putting in the hours day after day. Snooker players always dive when they get into their 30s as they will not do the 6-8 hours practice a day.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh. Did a very mathematical subject at Uni, and used it for nearly 3 decades - calculus, some stats, trig, lots of numerical methods, curve fitting etc. Now #1 son keeps asking me about trajectories of missiles, shortest distance over curved surfaces etc for some PC game he's writing and I never have a clue, not immediately anyway.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I have a maths degree from twenty three years ago, My son is currently studying physics. I can follow the maths in that I can go from one step to another, but can't do the actual reasoning. However, I think I'd just have to re-learn the identities and techniques and it would be fine. It's not totally alien.

I'm currently do a humanities degree. That's easier. It's just learning facts and putting arguments into a coherent form. The younger students find this considerably more difficult than use oldies - even those of us who last wrote an essay nearly 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Also, I didn't know you could do maths and further maths as 2 of your 3 subjects... our school only let you do it as a 4th A-Level IIRC.

I did some practice S/STEP papers and was not exactly overly successful, but I didn't get an offer at Cambridge after all so luckily never had to take one for real.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Does anyone remember S levels?
    I've got one in Maths.

I failed the Physics one, probably because I ran out of time.

But then again, I got carried away on one question and was proposing a theory which I saw aired in a Scientific American article a few years later.

That article cheered me up (that I was right) and pissed me off (because I hadn't published first) at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Except then you have to fill some of the time at 1st-year uni while all the regular people catch up. Which is nice, do an elective in astronomy or something
    We had a snooker club.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    There is some anecdotal evidence that maths ability does decline with age, in the sense that most of the great mathematicians did their best work by their early 20s, but in terms of being able to learn and apply existing techniques I think, like fitness, it's really a question of practice, so someone who has been performing at a high level continuously will have an advantage over someone who has a 10 year hiatus.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    But you study twice as much maths, which if you are going to uni to study maths or physics makes a lot more sense than filling up the time with something else.
    Except then you have to fill some of the time at 1st-year uni while all the regular people catch up. Which is nice, do an elective in astronomy or something

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    When I did it you didn't do M & FM in parallel, you did 2X as many maths lessons and finished M in the first year, then FM in the 2nd year.

You can no doubt fiddle it a bit, but the point is you do 2X as many modules and therefore cover far deeper stuff. View it as "double maths" if you prefer

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Buy you don't do A-level and a degree at the same time in the same subject. One follows on from the other.

Seems like a cheat for people who want 3 A-levels but don't want to study 3 subjects.
    But you study twice as much maths, which if you are going to uni to study maths or physics makes a lot more sense than filling up the time with something else.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Couldn't you claim the same about A-level and a degree? Further maths builds considerably - if you came out of the main A-level with a solid grounding you wouldn't think it WAS any harder, but if you managed to get through the regular A-level by simply learning stuff it would be pretty tough.
    Buy you don't do A-level and a degree at the same time in the same subject. One follows on from the other.

Seems like a cheat for people who want 3 A-levels but don't want to study 3 subjects.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    I've always reckoned that if you don't use it, your maths knowledge will drop back to at least one entire level of education below your highest level.

Me: degree in maths. Present level: can solve quadratic equations and perform simple differentiation.

Don't worry about the maths, there are other abilities that decay with age too.
    You'll certainly forget specific techniques if you don't use them but that doesn't mean you've lost the ability - maths may be logical but it depends on axioms which you have to know in order to deduce things you might have forgotten.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I never understood how people managed to take Maths and Further Maths as two seperate A-levels. Presumably if you can do Further Maths, you can probably do Maths.
    Couldn't you claim the same about A-level and a degree? Further maths builds considerably - if you came out of the main A-level with a solid grounding you wouldn't think it WAS any harder, but if you managed to get through the regular A-level by simply learning stuff it would be pretty tough.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Nothing like a good old debate about maths.

A maths debate, if you will. Excellent maths debating everyone.
    Which reminds me of Alison Smith. Who sat next to me in my A-level maths exam whilst wearing the most revealing summer dress you can imagine. I knew looking up would mean an eye-full of 18 year old breastage, but I told myself that this could be the most important day of my life, there'd be pleanty of other days to look at breasts, and stayed fixated on the exam.

The mistakes we make when we're young.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Fun Fact: decades from now, with schools a distant memory, you'll still be having this dream
    This is true.

Not quite that dream, but I did have one where I couldn't remember which lectures were when.

Or which lectures were where, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X