• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: taking holidays

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "taking holidays"

Collapse

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

How does slaving away to increase the profits of some capitalist oligarch constitute a better way of life than, say, working just as much as one needs to be able to relax and enjoy time with one's family?

You won't be able to enjoy your "quality time" in the cemetery you know.
    The dilemma is this - All contractor hollidays are costed out of the spare cash at end of year. Taking a holiday makes a huge difference.

If you're on a mission to make a lot of money in a short space of time, you have to do at least a 3 year stint with minimal breaks. Of course, you need the acceptance of your partner to do this. It may not be worth it otherwise.

IMO, its a mistake to think of contracting as a career.
    Its best to think of it as a footballer does and save for your (early?) retirement.

Its all about goals. Do you want to work all your life?

Nothing beats the feeling of paying off a large mortgage.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Worked 216 days in the last year, so about 6 weeks off.

Without holidays I would go crazy. Always like to have the next one booked before I get back from the current one so there is something to look forward to.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I really really hate that attitude!

It says "I was not put on this planet to make an effort and achieve something. I was put here to do the bare minimum to make my own life hassle-free".

It's not far from "why work, when I can claim income support?"
    Sorry matey, you've totally missunderstood

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Agreed you should take holiday no matter what, I worked non stop for approx 4 years and in terms of relationships its cost me alot. I've learnt my lesson now and you only live once, holidays, family etc are more important than £ in the bank...unless if you go on holiday you cant pay the mortgage

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I plan to work 200 days per year. I also have an income target. If I have to work more days to hit the income target, then so be it. Otherwise, I don't worry about it. I work more days if the client asks nicely.

In the first half of this year, I've had 37 days off - including statutory holidays. That's been a quite a few long weekends and two weeks of ski holiday.

Last year I worked 206 days.

One of the best defences I've got when they offer me a permie post is that I don't want to give up my days off.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    I work to live not live to work. Holidays I take just delay my retirement
    Yes but you need to hedge your bets. You would be mightily ****ed off if, having dedicated your life to working so that you would be loaded for your retirement, you cark it a few weeks before your retirement date. That does happen.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    You won't be able to enjoy it but other people will. You can leave behind a charitable foundation, or the cure for cancer, or a business that will provide employment for people, or all sorts of things that mean your life has done some good.

Relaxation and your own enjoyment are a depressingly low ambition.
    Hot chicks, Italian supercars and driving your speedboat around Monaco in blue skies and sunshine is a hard cross to bear.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    You won't be able to enjoy it but other people will. You can leave behind a charitable foundation, or the cure for cancer, or a business that will provide employment for people, or all sorts of things that mean your life has done some good.

Relaxation and your own enjoyment are a depressingly low ambition.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

It says "I was not put on this planet to make an effort and achieve something. I was put here to do the bare minimum to make my own life hassle-free".

How does slaving away to increase the profits of some capitalist oligarch constitute a better way of life than, say, working just as much as one needs to be able to relax and enjoy time with one's family?

You won't be able to enjoy your "quality time" in the cemetery you know.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    Works for me.
    Judging from posts in another thread here you either a) need a holiday, b) need to top your glass up more often, or c) tell porky pies.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Work to live, not live to work

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    nice attitude

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    Wow... an interesting, intelligent thread in General - are you guys feeling ok?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    My line involves whacking great projects (1-3 years) with several-month breaks in between them. Make hay while the sun shines.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X