• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

taking holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally am fked. I just done 10.5 months without a proper break.

Sure the family have all had holidays, but I have to organise them, ship everyone out, look after them , ship em back. I am more knackered afterwards than before.

A proper break is me just festering, swigging beer and playing games, with no earache.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I personally am fked. I just done 10.5 months without a proper break.

Sure the family have all had holidays, but I have to organise them, ship everyone out, look after them , ship em back. I am more knackered afterwards than before.

A proper break is me just festering, swigging beer and playing games, with no earache.

Works for me.

Comment

I work to live not live to work. Holidays I take just delay my retirement

Comment

My line involves whacking great projects (1-3 years) with several-month breaks in between them. Make hay while the sun shines.

Comment

Wow... an interesting, intelligent thread in General - are you guys feeling ok?
            Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
            "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
            Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
              I work to live not live to work. Holidays I take just delay my retirement
              nice attitude

Comment

Work to live, not live to work

I really really hate that attitude!

It says "I was not put on this planet to make an effort and achieve something. I was put here to do the bare minimum to make my own life hassle-free".

It's not far from "why work, when I can claim income support?"

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                  Works for me.
                  Judging from posts in another thread here you either a) need a holiday, b) need to top your glass up more often, or c) tell porky pies.
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    I really really hate that attitude!

It says "I was not put on this planet to make an effort and achieve something. I was put here to do the bare minimum to make my own life hassle-free".

It's not far from "why work, when I can claim income support?"

How does slaving away to increase the profits of some capitalist oligarch constitute a better way of life than, say, working just as much as one needs to be able to relax and enjoy time with one's family?

You won't be able to enjoy your "quality time" in the cemetery you know.

Comment

You won't be able to enjoy it but other people will. You can leave behind a charitable foundation, or the cure for cancer, or a business that will provide employment for people, or all sorts of things that mean your life has done some good.

Relaxation and your own enjoyment are a depressingly low ambition.

Comment

Working...
                      X