• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Kiss of death

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Kiss of death"

Collapse

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    No matter what you think or try to do, the fact that you were asked says a lot.
    It means they are thinking you are replacable and they want to lower costs.
    They are just sounding you out first - your choice of course.
    Actually it could mean the opposite - that they think you are irreplaceable and don't ever want to lose you. Also they see it as a priviledge that you're being asked to join their ranks, and hence would only ask if they value you enough.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Two weeks after being offered an extension into 2009, I just got asked if I'd be interested in going permie.

I think that may have made my mind up about whether to take the renewal or not...
    No matter what you think or try to do, the fact that you were asked says a lot.
    It means they are thinking you are replacable and they want to lower costs.
    They are just sounding you out first - your choice of course.

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You could always take all the comments out...
    Not forgetting to run a search and replace on all meaningful variable names...

e.g "watchdog" becomes "a1" etc

btw whats wrong with snowballs anyway?
    Last edited by kali; 28 May 2008, 12:01.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You could always take all the comments out...
    Now that's an idea. Evil. I like it.

I suspect they'll wait until the project is largely complete so there's a clean break.... but this clearly creates a disincentive to be efficient surely? Goes against the grain a bit, but needs must in the current arid contracting climate.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    This large IB is doing the same conversions. They seem to think it's a very privileged thing to be asked to join their company

Find out what they're offering - it might be worth it once you add in all the benefits.

Assuming you pay for Private healthcare, have a mortgage and a pension of course.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    This large IB is doing the same conversions. They seem to think it's a very privileged thing to be asked to join their company

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    Ditto. VeryLargeClientCo are adopting a "replace contractors with permies" policy across the board.
    They're trying to do this from the very top of the management ladder here. The manager of this department is pushing back strongly on the basis that contractors and permies have different mindsets and therefore fulfil different requirements.

He's arguing that contractors tend to be better at fast delivery without faffing around, and permies are better suited to long-term infrastructure development and weaker at delivery. I'd tend to agree.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Ditto. VeryLargeClientCo are adopting a "replace contractors with permies" policy across the board. Plan is to offer a permie role to the competant contractors and ditch the fodder. So I'm real trouble

Plan is to make myself absolutely indispensible. Any suggestions? Currently deleting all the project documentation so it's all in my head only

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I've been sounded out here - will they still respect me in the morning?

Looking around on jobswerve with 7 weeks to go. When I refuse, I'll have to train my (permie) replacement. Joy.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    There's three of us Contractors where I am. The other two have been sounded out for 'conversion'. I haven't! Don't know why.
    Because they respect you?

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    There's three of us Contractors where I am. The other two have been sounded out for 'conversion'. I haven't! Don't know why.

Leave a comment:

• Masher
    replied
    Last year I rejected an "offer" to go permanent. Subsequently I had to show my replacement the ropes. He started on Monday and ran away midday Friday saying that there was too much SAS Development. The role had been advertised as "SAS Developer"

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    There are good rates going for php if you're in the right place at the right time, with the right degree of ability.
    Yahoo! uses PHP...

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Trouble is php rates are rubbish at the best of times
    There are good rates going for php if you're in the right place at the right time, with the right degree of ability.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Oh dear. Had a little search on Jobswerve this evening, it's a bit quiet out there and rates seem a bit tulip compared to last time I was looking
    I'm OK so far, touch wood; but if there isn't enough perl or .Net around when I start looking, it may mean having to fall back on the doomsday option of including php in the search.

Trouble is php rates are rubbish at the best of times, and I'd be practically paying the client to work if it's as bad now as people are saying. (I haven't dared check jobsworth for months.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X