• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Permie jobs boom

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie jobs boom"

Collapse

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Why are you calling me a knob? Do you know me? I'm not your dad so lay off.

You obviously have no commitments in this country otherwise you would realise how tough life can be on an average salary. Either that or you seriously lack any ambition or any thought about your future or that of your children.

If you're the only earner, with a wife and 2 kids, a modern day mortgage, cars to run, and with the inflationary environment we live in, a £30k salary (~£1750/month) is going to leave you very little (if anything) to make a future with.

And I'm not from Australia - if they're anything like you I'm glad to be different.
    I was calling you a Knob because you claimed you would like to phone up for the job and laugh at the salary they were offering. Those are the actions of a Knob in my book.

Don't be vulgar. Certainly don't boast like a cat walk model. It's only a few hard knocks and you can be back on your arse begging for that job. Be humble and modest. Give money away. It's far more attractive.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    , I am planning on taking a simple job somewhere,
    I think Churchill's job is up for grabs

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Yeah, came across it about 10 years ago when I was involved with insurance systems. They use(d) it to send data between the big insurers iirc. Not heard the term outside the insurance industry since then.
    EDI (In a generic sense) is used to send data to Hector from Payroll systems, although I came across it in Insurance too.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    You are a knob..! Your attitude stinks. Or have I missed your irony - I doubt it since you are an Aussie from your avatar.
    Why are you calling me a knob? Do you know me? I'm not your dad so lay off.

You obviously have no commitments in this country otherwise you would realise how tough life can be on an average salary. Either that or you seriously lack any ambition or any thought about your future or that of your children.

If you're the only earner, with a wife and 2 kids, a modern day mortgage, cars to run, and with the inflationary environment we live in, a £30k salary (~£1750/month) is going to leave you very little (if anything) to make a future with.

And I'm not from Australia - if they're anything like you I'm glad to be different.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    EDI is used by a lot of industries especially in the supply chain.

It's a good way to send messages to 3rd parties and is usually based on a set of standatrds like Edifact, Odette, VDA etc.

It's generally used for transactions like shipping notifications, picking requests to 3rd party warehouses, sending sales orders and forecasts, purchase orders etc.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    EDI was around long before .Net was invented.

Yeah, came across it about 10 years ago when I was involved with insurance systems. They use(d) it to send data between the big insurers iirc. Not heard the term outside the insurance industry since then.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    You are a knob..! Your attitude stinks. Or have I missed your irony - I doubt it since you are an Aussie from your avatar.
    Why??? when I have paid all my commitments, including my kids uni fees etc, I am planning on taking a simple job somewhere, may be a university or college of further education ala Zeiti.... as long as I can pay my bills and have food on the table (plus the lots of hols which comes with educational institutes) what’s the problem??

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    how can anyone realistically live off that wage and support a family and pay a mortgage ?

You may just aswell kiss your life goodbye.
    Reality check time. If you want to join the NHS as a lab technician, you will need a degree in a related subject, will be looking at four years further on the job training to get fully qualified (and licensed to practice so you can do on call work). Your starting salary will be £11k-£13k.

OTOH a friend's son is working evenings and nights at Tesco doing shelf stacking. Bored out of his skull, he's making a shade over £30k...

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    how can anyone realistically live off that wage and support a family and pay a mortgage ?

I think that´s a very arrogant view. There are millions of families living off a wage at this level, so it must be possible.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Sir_Edward_Matheson View Post
    Electronic Data Interchange. Something to do with .NET I think. Milan might know more about this.
    No, it´s got nothing to do with .Net (though .Net might have stolen it).

EDI was around long before .Net was invented.

tim

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Exactly - unless of couse you live in a house you purchased 10 years ago and have little or no mortgage. I was SO tempted to reply to the agent and laugh at the salary they were offering.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    ah but...you're forgetting the most important perk.

It is, after all, a "grade 1 position". I don't know what that means but it sounds impressive!

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied

Exactly - unless of couse you live in a house you purchased 10 years ago and have little or no mortgage. I was SO tempted to reply to the agent and laugh at the salary they were offering.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    could it be Integrated Development Environment
    Only if you're a clueless dyslexic bint.

Talking of which, did you have a night of flicking the bean?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X