• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If I were looking for a fast showy 2-seater sports car..."

Collapse

• batfink
    replied
    1930s Morgan Super Sports. Looks ace, and is an amazing drive. Last time I looked, about £14k - oh, just checked, now about £30k - sorry, I have wasted your time. Why not just paint lots of fags and booze logos on your current car? Cheap and very effective for attracting the ladies.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Why are you reading articles for gay men?

Because I put "Mercedes SLK" into google

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    From the Torygraph's mouth

Is your car more Rock Hudson than Mel Gibson? Measure up your motor with Pierre and Jeff's guide to camp cars, judged according to their originality, innovation, design, unconventionality and success with gay motorists

Gayest
    Peugeot 206 CC - 10/10

Very gay

Smart City Coupé and Cabrio - 9/10
    New VW Beetle - 9/10
    MINI - 9/10
    Mercedes SLK - 8/10

Just gay enough

Lancia Y - 7/10
    Jeep Wrangler - 7/10
    VW Golf - 7/10
    BMW Z4 - 7/10
    Bentley Arnage convertible - 7/10
    Porsche Boxster - 7/10
    Audi TT - 6/10
    Renault Avantime - 6/10

Gay for pay

Chrysler PT Cruiser - 5/10
    Jaguar XK8/XKR - 5/10
    New Nissan Micra - 3/10
    Rolls-Royce - 3/10
    Range Rover - 3/10
    Rover 75 - 3/10
    Lexus SC 430 - 3/10

Raging heterosexuals

Lamborgini Murciélago - 2/10
    Ferrari Enzo - 2/10
    Alfa Romeo - 2/10
    Ford Mondeo - 1/10
    White van - 0/10
    Truck - 0/10 (the Yorkie trucker-themed ads - tagline "big enough for you, and your mate" - didn't run in France, accounting for the skewed rating)
    Hummer H2 - 0/10
    Mercedes G-Wagen - 0/10
    Honda Jazz - 0/10

Cars to 'out'

Audi A3
    Chrysler PT Cruiser
    Fiat Multipla
    Ford Puma
    Honda HR-V
    Suzuki Jimni

Asexual cars

All Citroëns apart from the C3, and the super-straight award goes to the C5. Peugeot 406/607/807. All Daewoos, Skodas and Hyundais except the Coupé. Vauxhall Vectra and Zafira. Mercedes E-class. Honda Accord. Nissan Primera. Fiat Marea. Seat Alhambra. Renault Scénic (gets a special super-straight mention) apart from the RX4. Chrysler Voyager. Mazda 626.

Why are you reading articles for gay men?

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Which car do you think the man in my av drives BP?
    Last edited by Lucy; 13 May 2008, 15:17. Reason: problem

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    From the Torygraph's mouth

Is your car more Rock Hudson than Mel Gibson? Measure up your motor with Pierre and Jeff's guide to camp cars, judged according to their originality, innovation, design, unconventionality and success with gay motorists

Gayest
    Peugeot 206 CC - 10/10

Very gay

Smart City Coupé and Cabrio - 9/10
    New VW Beetle - 9/10
    MINI - 9/10
    Mercedes SLK - 8/10

Just gay enough

Lancia Y - 7/10
    Jeep Wrangler - 7/10
    VW Golf - 7/10
    BMW Z4 - 7/10
    Bentley Arnage convertible - 7/10
    Porsche Boxster - 7/10
    Audi TT - 6/10
    Renault Avantime - 6/10

Gay for pay

Chrysler PT Cruiser - 5/10
    Jaguar XK8/XKR - 5/10
    New Nissan Micra - 3/10
    Rolls-Royce - 3/10
    Range Rover - 3/10
    Rover 75 - 3/10
    Lexus SC 430 - 3/10

Raging heterosexuals

Lamborgini Murciélago - 2/10
    Ferrari Enzo - 2/10
    Alfa Romeo - 2/10
    Ford Mondeo - 1/10
    White van - 0/10
    Truck - 0/10 (the Yorkie trucker-themed ads - tagline "big enough for you, and your mate" - didn't run in France, accounting for the skewed rating)
    Hummer H2 - 0/10
    Mercedes G-Wagen - 0/10
    Honda Jazz - 0/10

Cars to 'out'

Audi A3
    Chrysler PT Cruiser
    Fiat Multipla
    Ford Puma
    Honda HR-V
    Suzuki Jimni

Asexual cars

All Citroëns apart from the C3, and the super-straight award goes to the C5. Peugeot 406/607/807. All Daewoos, Skodas and Hyundais except the Coupé. Vauxhall Vectra and Zafira. Mercedes E-class. Honda Accord. Nissan Primera. Fiat Marea. Seat Alhambra. Renault Scénic (gets a special super-straight mention) apart from the RX4. Chrysler Voyager. Mazda 626.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Looks like the driver is a .netter, eh DP.
    Yes he's certainly netted himself a nice motor..

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Although I prefer the SL:

http://www.lemonlawvehicle.com/wordp..._sl_65_amg.jpg

A bit pricey mind.
    Looks like the driver is a .netter, eh DP.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    The SL looks good because the demensions are right, the SLK is too squashed and cute therefore no man can get away with driving one

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    SLK is the one for me.

http://www.mercedesforum.com/models/...-SLK-Class.jpg

Although I prefer the SL:

http://www.lemonlawvehicle.com/wordp..._sl_65_amg.jpg

A bit pricey mind.

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    Well I've always liked the MX-5, think I still prefer the original shape ones and I love the colour of the Merlot limited edition

Leave a comment:

• ruth11
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Surely the problem is sourcing a good one? A model that age is likely to have had a hammering, been writen off or/ and possibly owned by some more downmarket characters?
    True of any car of any age. How do you know the S2000 you've just bought hasn't been ragged around Donnington (or insert other preferred race tracks!) and the surrounding countryside every weekend in it's life?

Admittedly there possibly aren't as many around as there are the ones on the list (although he did mention TVR - good luck finding a good reliable one of those!), but it's well worth the search. I live in Leicester and bought mine from Chester, but if you didn't want to travel there are plenty of reputable Porsche dealerships that you can buy from (if you're willing to pay a premium). If you buy private, get it checked over by a mechanic (preferably one that knows porsches - there are plenty arond) and off you go.

The fact that there aren't that many is a good thing in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
    DP - Are you looking Brand New?

By far the best 2 seater convertible sports car for around £25k is the Porsche 993 Cabriolet (1996-1998 to be specific - don't go earlier than that, you want the varioram engine - and don't go later, cos you don't want a 996!)

Surely the problem is sourcing a good one? A model that age is likely to have had a hammering, been writen off or/ and possibly owned by some more downmarket characters?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I'd go for the S2000 simply because IMO it’s the best car on the list, I wouldn't be interested in buying something just because it was 'showy'.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I would quite like an Alpina B6 - I wonder if it would run on biodesel...

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
    Corvette, cheap cheerful and mental with 500BHP for less than 40k
    Yep, good looks and sounds absolutely awesome...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X