• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jaguar and Land Rover saying Tata"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    All the production will be moved offshore and the almost completed units will just have the seats fitted in the UK. Just like most other made in UK cars.

Bypasses tariffs etc.

Costs will be cut, and the assembly line will be staffed by highly skilled migrants on visas defecting from the NHS for the 10p an hour over the NMW that the new owners will be paying.

Hopefully they will tulip it up and some UK chaps will buy it for a quid, asset strip it and then go bust. Oh sorry that has already happened.

cynical moi?
    Moi

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    No it will be seat fitting

All the production will be moved offshore and the almost completed units will just have the seats fitted in the UK. Just like most other made in UK cars.

Bypasses tariffs etc.

Costs will be cut, and the assembly line will be staffed by highly skilled migrants on visas defecting from the NHS for the 10p an hour over the NMW that the new owners will be paying.

Hopefully they will tulip it up and some UK chaps will buy it for a quid, asset strip it and then go bust. Oh sorry that has already happened.

cynical moi?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Anyone seen any reasonable predictions of what the UK will be like work wise in 10-20 years?
    Labour laws will be scrapped to make us competitive, at which point india and china will start outsourcing all of their really crap jobs to us, cause we're cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    I'm not saying that Tata would be a bad thing for the workers at all. I'm GLAD that these people have had the reassurance that their future is safe.
    Their future is not safe. Do you really think that promise is worth the paper it was written on? Low cost manufacturers like Tata won't be buying something to pay high British wages.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    10 - 20 years? Look now at any UK airport on Monday morning. Loads of Brits on their way to where the work is. You don't see the corresponding thing in Frankfurt, Zurich, Brussels or Schipol.
    The government would claim that as a good thing. It shows that we have a flexible work force.

It's an extension or Tebbit and his "On yer bike" comment.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You can wave Tata to quality then.

They have never had any, I had Both Disco's and Freelanders from new and the build quality is appalling.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Anyone seen any reasonable predictions of what the UK will be like work wise in 10-20 years?
    10 - 20 years? Look now at any UK airport on Monday morning. Loads of Brits on their way to where the work is. You don't see the corresponding thing in Frankfurt, Zurich, Brussels or Schipol.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    They've already announced their new model.

http://www.b3tards.com/u/976e0482d5f...847/jaguar.jpg

If they're cheaper than the rip-off black cabs then it may not be a bad thing!

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    They've already announced their new model.

http://www.b3tards.com/u/976e0482d5f...847/jaguar.jpg

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Not seen predictions for 10-20 years but I guess there will come a time when roles will be reversed and British companies off-shoring parts of their business will find that the Indians are off-shoring back to the UK!

Anyway I'm rapidly losing interest in work.
    Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 26 March 2008, 11:20.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    So now that the british car industry has collapsed and the british government has washed their hands of any responsibility for these workers... you're now saying that Tata could be a bad thing for these workers?

How about concentrating on how the british f**ked up their own motor industries.
    I'm not saying that Tata would be a bad thing for the workers at all. I'm GLAD that these people have had the reassurance that their future is safe.

All I'm saying is that the promise by Tata to retain British production etc isn't necessarily worth the paper it's printed on.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Why? Cos we don't need one. We just need "The City" and house prices to go up forever and there's no need to make or do anything.

HTH

Yeah, we've moved from a manufacturing nation to a service providing one. Shame the commies in China, and the rest of Asia are slowly stealing the service industry through exploitation and slavery, but while we can still buy our goods cheap from abroad we'll pretend that's not happening.

Leave a comment:

• roadster198
    replied
    You can wave Tata to quality then.

D I S A P O I N T E D!!!!! thats what I was just going to say

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    how is that france has got renault, citroen and peugoat

germany has: vw, audi, bmw, mercedes etc

italy has: fiat, alfa etc

yet in britain we have 60 million people and have lost our motor industry ?

Milan.
    Why? Cos we don't need one. We just need "The City" and house prices to go up forever and there's no need to make or do anything.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    how is that france has got renault, citroen and peugoat

germany has: vw, audi, bmw, mercedes etc

italy has: fiat, alfa etc

yet in britain we have 60 million people and have lost our motor industry ?

Milan.
    I blame red ken and the bendy bus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X