• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jaguar and Land Rover saying Tata

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what the Union leaders are saying, Tata aren't planning to move production and the design of new vehicles will be done in the UK. Seems like Tata want a British brand with British quality - although from what i can remember Range Rovers managed a comically bad score on the last Top Gear survey.

Anyway, Range Rovers are becoming almost as common as 3 series BMW's which should be a far bigger reason for not buying one.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yes I wonder if Tata quality will be up to British Leyland standards
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        From what the Union leaders are saying, Tata aren't planning to move production and the design of new vehicles will be done in the UK.
        The Beeb reported that the Indian firm had guaranteed all British jobs until 2011 (hard to say whether this was the Christian calendar or the Hindu calendar though)

Seems like Tata want a British brand with British quality - although from what i can remember Range Rovers managed a comically bad score on the last Top Gear survey.
        If the Indian firm get hold of production in the UK, that automatically gets them into europe, so bypassing all those nasty tariffs placed on non EU goods.

Anyway, Range Rovers are becoming almost as common as 3 series BMW's which should be a far bigger reason for not buying one.
        When we win the lottery (yeah, right), we plan on buying an Aston and now probably an Audi R8.

I would have bought a Jaguar but they've become very "ordinary" these days.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
          The Beeb reported that the Indian firm had guaranteed all British jobs until 2011 (hard to say whether this was the Christian calendar or the Hindu calendar though)
          They are already on 2064 in the Hindu Calendar:

http://www.baps.org/calendar/2008/march.htm

So I think it will have to be the Gregorian one

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            They are already on 2064 in the Hindu Calendar:

http://www.baps.org/calendar/2008/march.htm

So I think it will have to be the Gregorian one

HTH
            Well everyone here would think it has to be the Gregorian one naturally.

Am I just being cynical when I think they could just turn round and sack all the British workers with the reason that they have fulfilled their promise because it's now 2064?
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Don't see why the jobs have to be protected. It's a business and businesses have to be profitable.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Haven't Fords had their mits into Jag. etc. at one point in the recent past? So shirley Tata is a step up?
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Am I just being cynical when I think they could just turn round and sack all the British workers with the reason that they have fulfilled their promise because it's now 2064?
                  So now that the british car industry has collapsed and the british government has washed their hands of any responsibility for these workers... you're now saying that Tata could be a bad thing for these workers?

How about concentrating on how the british f**ked up their own motor industries.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I think you are being a bit too paranoid with this one. More likely they will outsource most of the work leaving the Brits with nothing much to do, or tulip jobs they didn't originally sign up for. Eventually the working conditions will have changed so much that the Brits will start resigning and any left in 2011 that are no longer needed will be culled to cut costs.

Lets face it TATA are not short of a few bob, they can blow a few million a year on British workers until 2011 without really worrying about it and they will have got their foot in the door of the European market which is what this is all about.

Comment

how is that france has got renault, citroen and peugoat

germany has: vw, audi, bmw, mercedes etc

italy has: fiat, alfa etc

yet in britain we have 60 million people and have lost our motor industry ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X