• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "ATW's 10 points plan to solve the global financial crisis"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Short term speculators are an essential part of the market. They provide the liquidity than enables proper prices to be set and for more strategic holdings to be acquired and dispersed. Without them there cannot be a properly functional market.

Punitive taxation of short-term gains (can you claim losses against tax too for fairness?), turnover (aka. Tobin) tax or any other interference in the proper operation of markets is counter productive, impractical and just plain wrong.

Not that I know anything about it.
    Indeed. I'm guessing that you indeed know quite a lot. Makes a change from the assorted idiots we get here.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Poor old atw - I've never seen anyone so autistic. Get help atw, cognitive therapy and drugs work wonders nowadays ...You have all the classic signs:

- obsession in a narrow technical area
    - inability to see other people's point of view
    - inability to form relationships with the opposite sex
    - and most telling of all, an inability to see the complexity of the world

All classic signs of autism/Aspergers syndrome
    No! AtW is right.

Let's just KILL EVERYONE NOW!

That'll sort it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Poor old atw - I've never seen anyone so autistic. Get help atw, cognitive therapy and drugs work wonders nowadays ...You have all the classic signs:

- obsession in a narrow technical area
    - inability to see other people's point of view
    - inability to form relationships with the opposite sex
    - and most telling of all, an inability to see the complexity of the world

All classic signs of autism/Aspergers syndrome

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    ...(chakkaboom)...
    ROTFL

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Far, far worse than that.
    Arrggghhh! an ECONOMIST aaaarrrrgggghhHH!

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    You're an accountant, aren't you?
    Far, far worse than that. I'm not a taxman though.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Short term speculators are an essential part of the market. They provide the liquidity than enables proper prices to be set and for more strategic holdings to be acquired and dispersed. Without them there cannot be a properly functional market.

Punitive taxation of short-term gains (can you claim losses against tax too for fairness?), turnover (aka. Tobin) tax or any other interference in the proper operation of markets is counter productive, impractical and just plain wrong.

You're an accountant, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Fine. Put them into prison where the only chance for them to get out would be to prove inside prison that the society will benefit from them going out - let them write books or whatever, parole board will look at their achievements every 3 years.
    So when are you due out then?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    maybe they'll come up with a better search engine or something.
    Fine. Put them into prison where the only chance for them to get out would be to prove inside prison that the society will benefit from them going out - let them write books or whatever, parole board will look at their achievements every 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Let them rebel in the library and push boundaries of science - I'd be okay with that.

Pushing boundaries by getting drunk on cheap cider to then kick people to death is not the kind of "pushing" that I am okay with.

Just what the **** can those cider drinking teenagers invent? At best they won't be future criminals, unless they work in a bank or something.
    Hmmmm. Good question!

maybe they'll come up with a better search engine or something.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    I believe that is is good for a teenager to rebel and push boundries. I believe that that is how you develop a culture that leads to some of the great inventions this country has given to the world.
    Let them rebel in the library and push boundaries of science - I'd be okay with that.

Pushing boundaries by getting drunk on cheap cider to then kick people to death is not the kind of "pushing" that I am okay with.

Just what the **** can those cider drinking teenagers invent? At best they won't be future criminals, unless they work in a bank or something.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Look, if every teenager in this country is a yob, then it would be better for the public if they are in prison.
    Yes, you must be correct. Did you have a bit part in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by any chance?

I believe that is is good for a teenager to rebel and push boundries. I believe that that is how you develop a culture that leads to some of the great inventions this country has given to the world.

I rejected one local school for my kids because they used CCTV to monitor every corner of the grounds. That's not freedom, and it's not how kids should be treated.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    How about the fooking huge pile of cash made by those who bought low and sold high? That's been quite useful.....

You not helping here...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

But what's useful is left after inflated property bubble? .
    How about the fooking huge pile of cash made by those who bought low and sold high? That's been quite useful.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X