• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just won £1000 on the Premium Bonds"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I've bought a couple of 52-weekly draws on the Age UK lottery, on the assumption that the odds of a win comparable to a modest Premium Bond win are orders of magnitude higher than the derisory odds of the latter.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Same here ...... I'm often a £50 winner but rarely more (I hold the max amount so not a great return!)
    I just treat it as a bit of fun, but with the expectation of earning a meagre 0.5-1% as a fallback, which is typically the reality too. Any win of £500 or above is fantastically unlikely per £1 bond and multiplying it by 50,000 brings it down to just tremendously unlikely. My £525 this month probably doesn't have odds far off a big-ish lottery win Woot!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Just checked, only £250 for me ... one day though, I'll win the big one
    One day, Rodders.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    £75 in April, which makes it £350 in the last 7 draws.
    Just checked, only £250 for me ... one day though, I'll win the big one

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    £75 in April, which makes it £350 in the last 7 draws.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    This has just remined me, lost bonds, I need to find or recover them

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    £50

Same here ...... I'm often a £50 winner but rarely more (I hold the max amount so not a great return!)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    £50

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    £525

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Both kids won 25 quid within a month or two of each other.

But prior to that nothing for years if not ever.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The pound in your pocket is unaffected.

Dear Harold. Courtesy of moneyweek::

In 1967, Britain suffered a balance of payments crisis, spending (importing) more than it was earning (exporting). That made it crucial to keep the pound strong. The hitch was that supporting the pound was fast becoming unaffordable. The Bank of England burned through £200m in gold and foreign currency reserves in just one day alone.

And so in November, sterling was devalued by 14.3% against the dollar.

It was a personal defeat for Prime Minister Harold Wilson. But on 19 November, he went on radio and television to reassure consumers that devaluation “does not mean, of course, that the pound here in Britain, in your pocket or purse, or in your bank, has been devalued”. It didn’t take an economist, however, to tell you that that was nonsense.

“That broadcast will long be remembered for that sentence”, crowed Conservative MP and future prime minister Ted Heath in Parliament. “It will be remembered as the most dishonest statement ever made.”

Wilson had fibbed. The ‘pound in your pocket’ is, of course, the same pound that is used to import food and other things from abroad. Prices were going to have to rise.

But while it was hoped that British farming and manufacturing would get a boost, not everything could be made or grown here. “Devaluation means moving resources from consumption to the balance of payments”, wrote The Times. “It means an initial reduction in this country’s living standards.”

So, who was to blame for Britain’s distress? “Candidates abound”, said The Times’ economic editor, Peter Jay. “Was it the fault of the gnomes, the moaning minnies, the ‘selling Britain short brigade’? Or was it the wild-cat strikers, the tightly knit groups of politically motivated wreckers?”

Perhaps the culprits were to be found abroad – the Middle East crisis had undermined confidence in Britain, after all. Or could it be the French?

Whatever the real reason, Wilson faced stiff opposition to his decision to devalue the pound – all in spite of his protestations that it would tackle “the root” causes of Britain’s economic woes.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What about post-Brexit tax increases?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    That's bugger all nowadays in USD terms.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Kerrrrrrrrrching!

March winner, £1K on it's way.

Anyone here had a really big win on the Bonds?

That's bugger all nowadays in USD terms.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    He could buy a new coffee machine.

He could give it all away to charidee and we could have a CUK poll to decide the cause

He'll feel better tomorrow, rather than if he spunked it on a couple of "friends" and had a brief sniff of the Phillip Green style high life .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X