• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I think my girlfriend might propose tonight..."

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Well, she didn't propose.
    Well, you got off lightly. Last night I bumped into a couple who *had* become engaged on Friday 29th. She looked He looked

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Just tell her you are an old-fashioned traditional kind of a guy that does not go along with the concept of it ever being the woman's place to propose to the man. That way you can either ask her at a time that suits you, or not at all if you prefer.

HTH
    Or give her a Pearl Necklace like lilelvis does:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...cost-life.html

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

The next day she told me she was going to do it and I acted surprised and asked why she didn't in the end. She said she was feeling down that day and didn't want any possibility of being rejected etc etc. She asked if I would have said yes and I said "well you'll never know now!"

The conversation then briefly turned back into the tried and tested "how long do I have to wait? / when are you going to ask me?" etc before we started talking about more important stuff like what was for dinner.
    Just tell her you are an old-fashioned traditional kind of a guy that does not go along with the concept of it ever being the woman's place to propose to the man. That way you can either ask her at a time that suits you, or not at all if you prefer.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied

The next day she told me she was going to do it and I acted surprised and asked why she didn't in the end. She said she was feeling down that day and didn't want any possibility of being rejected etc etc. She asked if I would have said yes and I said "well you'll never know now!"

The conversation then briefly turned back into the tried and tested "how long do I have to wait? / when are you going to ask me?" etc before we started talking about more important stuff like what was for dinner.

Leave a comment:

• sli_gryn
    replied
    c'mon man! what happened?!?!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    WHS

Disagree - it's about setting expectations. We brought the wedding forward slightly from the original plan - married after 4 years of engagement rather than 5.

And we all know how successful that turned out

Because you may as well just say "you're really not marriage material" - if you're going to say "no" then at least have the stones to say it.

Tax allowances, plus formal recognition of being next-of-kin in the event of needing to make hospital type decisions.

WHS

I think you're safe, mate.

bated
    pedant

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It's putting off the inevitable and you'll get nagged until you do. Fer God's sake man get some balls and either marry the girl or tell her you're not going to or just not at the moment. Do you really think a bunch of autistic IT geek virgins are going to help you sort this this out?
    WHS

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Very dangerous... as you as there's a ring on her finger she'll be nagging and nagging for a wedding. After all, she'll say, if you plan to marry, why put it off?
    Disagree - it's about setting expectations. We brought the wedding forward slightly from the original plan - married after 4 years of engagement rather than 5.

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Not me - I was engaged for 5 years before we finally made it down the aisle...
    And we all know how successful that turned out

Why not try the "but things are so great the way they are, I don't want to change anything" line.
    Because you may as well just say "you're really not marriage material" - if you're going to say "no" then at least have the stones to say it.

After 18 years, why bother?
    Tax allowances, plus formal recognition of being next-of-kin in the event of needing to make hospital type decisions.

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Look just be honest with her, that you're not quite ready.

Otherwise you create a whole lot of trouble for yourself.
    WHS

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I like to keep a handbasket close by at all times just to deal with that very question.
    I think you're safe, mate.

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    We wait with baited breath.

Beer saturated
    bated

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    More recently she's been saying "Did you know that February 29th is the only day of the year that a girl can ask a man for marriage?"
    I trust you pointed out that she's wrong?

According to tradition, a girl can ask a man to marry him on any day during a leap year, but it's usual for it to be done on February 29th.

So only another 10 months to hide from her, which could ensure that she doesn't ask you.

If you're that fussed, you may as well just chuck her.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Strewth...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Nina View Post
    Hi Katie, it's nice to have more girls around. I like your blue scarf, blue realy suits you. We girls must get together some time.
    Wow - first Paula, then Nina.

The girls are coming back in force

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Strewth...

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Nina View Post
    Hi Katie, it's nice to have more girls around. I like your blue scarf, blue realy suits you. We girls must get together some time.
    Nice try mate

Leave a comment:

• Nina
    replied
    Originally posted by Katie View Post
    Ah BP needs a hug!

Unfortunately yes that really is me in that photo!

I don't drive an Artic I'm bad enough in a MINI!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So did his girlfriend propose or not?
    We wait with baited breath.

Beer saturated

Except in my case

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    So did his girlfriend propose or not?