• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Herniated/Slipped disc and Sciatica"

Collapse

• Lucy
    replied
    Prawn

I had prolapsed C5/6 and was told I needed surgery and that was that. I found a fab acupuncturist who also did very hard chinese massage and after about 10 treatments I was okay and did not need surgery. She said she knew of a number of people in the same situation.

Doctors: If the only tool you have is a hammer...

L

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I dont think they are trying to prevent osteoartitis

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    they have a machine that vibrates like the dickens. I think oldsih women use it most, perhaps to prevent osteoartitis.
    I dont think they are trying to prevent osteoartitis

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Was the one causing the pain a Vauxhall?
    Yes it was. I have stayed away from Vauxhalls ever since

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Emily View Post
    Hi,
    I slipped a disk in the summer - I couldn't stand up straight for about a week and the pain was horrific. I went to a sports masseur who sorted the peripheral muscular pain out and then I signed up for personal training to build up my core stability. The only way I've ever found to combat back pain is to strengthen your core. It worked wonders, I have no issues now.
    I know some people are averse to exercising because they fear hurting their back more, or are simply just averse to exercise, but believe me it does work wonders!!!
    I'm no expert, but I think exercise also strengthen ligaments, joints and bones, as well as muscles. Especially heavy excerise. Of course weights are also dangerous and probably work better as a preventative measure than a cure. There’s an interesting alternative at my gym, they have a machine that vibrates like the dickens. I think oldsih women use it most, perhaps to prevent osteoartitis. I tried it once and, naturally putting it onto its highest setting, it felt like as if I was on the end of a jackhammer and that my fillings would fall out. I'm not kidding, it wasn't taking prisoners.

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Hi,
    I slipped a disk in the summer - I couldn't stand up straight for about a week and the pain was horrific. I went to a sports masseur who sorted the peripheral muscular pain out and then I signed up for personal training to build up my core stability. The only way I've ever found to combat back pain is to strengthen your core. It worked wonders, I have no issues now.
    I know some people are averse to exercising because they fear hurting their back more, or are simply just averse to exercise, but believe me it does work wonders!!!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I suffer from a bad back and had an MRI scan - wear and tear on lower discs, not going to get any better.

However, as I've said before, these help tremendously if you spend all your time in IT, even when your back hurts, sitting in one of these gets your posture right and relieves the spasms.

http://www.posturite.co.uk/Posturite...tegory/Chairs/

Also, I found the seating in my car wasn't correct and I was constantly leaning forward to change gear. I bought a TVR and now the endorphins produced remove all the back pain.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Am suffering from this at the moment. Sitting at the computer makes it worse.

I guess my limbo dancing days are over. Anyone had this treated (MRI scans and surgery) or do I have to walk round like I have a carrot up my @rse for the rest of my years.

Bloody old age.
    If this is recent then check the diagnosis, most back pain is caused by a swollen disc, not prolapsed, though it might feel like a ruptured disc. It can still be extremely painful, and you can still have a painful leg. Can be solved with a bit of patience and exercises. Some surgeons are a bit "gung-ho" with the knife.

Usually if you can walk it is a slipped disc, a ruptured disc usually leaves you immobile for a while, well my mother was anyway.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 January 2008, 12:14.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    I have the L4/L5 prolapse and get the sciatica/herniation problems occassionally. Last years episode must have aged me 10 years with the pain!

The main problem I have is muscle wasting in left leg due to sciatic nerve compression causing neural interference. Anyone else had this misfortune?

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Am suffering from this at the moment. Sitting at the computer makes it worse.

I guess my limbo dancing days are over. Anyone had this treated (MRI scans and surgery) or do I have to walk round like I have a carrot up my @rse for the rest of my years.

Bloody old age.
    Try Chiro for a few months, if that doesn't work try physio and get some young totty to massage your buttocks as tay says.
    There are a set of exercises that can help (physio can give you them) and its crucial not to sit down for long periods without getting up and moving about.
    I won't have surgery as its a discomfort in my leg rather than severe back pain (which I had several years ago when I slipped a disc).
    Chiros helped with initial back pain around the discs, but never fixed sciatica running down the leg over a longer period so I stopped going.
    Its discomfort rather than agonising pain, so I won't consider surgery unless its an absolute last resort.

Get a car with Recaro-type seats with good lumbar support, work chair also.
    Or just stop working - even better.

Keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    .. sciatic nerve is getting crushed by muscles in your ass. ...
    Arse - or are you a yank? Or do you really mean a donkey is sitting on you?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    This is not a cure... but it is amazinf to alleviate sciatic symptoms.
    The reason sciatica hurts (in the end) is becuse the sciatic nerve is getting crushed by muscles in your ass. So massaging these muscles is key.
    What helps greatly is a...

TENNIS BALL!

Get the ball and put it against the wall.. and then press against the ball with the part of your ass that feels sore and knotted up. Gently roll the ball about as its wedged between the wall and your ass.
    The ball isnt to hard so doesnt hurt, but is firm enough to knead the bunched and spasming muscles. Its like doing a self massage.
    This works for all sorts of back troubles where muscles are bunching up.

Obviously its not a cure as the underlying issue is not getting fixed, but... it will alleviate the pain immediately.

I use this method and my wife is also good at massaging my ass... thats true love!
    I can see alot of logic in this - I think I have managed to divide my back pain into 2 types - trauma and stress. trauma when I do somehing silly(last time was racing my builder to climb a fireman's pole - dont ask!). stress mostly from work but having a 3 month old baby doesn't help.

I always do pilates on a Monday night which protects against both types of pain.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    I've been suffering from a lapsed disc and sciatica for about ten years now. First occurred in my early twenties during football training. These days, it seems to flair up every six to nine months, funnily enough with the last bout having kicked off yesterday during a game of squash.

Of course, being ultra-competitive, I had to carry on playing and win, but I think I may pay for it over the next few days. The pain normally lasts for about a week or so.
    Car Battery + Jumper Leads + Testicals

Takes yer mind off it

PS: Get somebody else to carry the Battery. You wouldn't want to aggravate the back pain would you ?

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    I've been suffering from a lapsed disc and sciatica for about ten years now. First occurred in my early twenties during football training. These days, it seems to flair up every six to nine months, funnily enough with the last bout having kicked off yesterday during a game of squash.

Of course, being ultra-competitive, I had to carry on playing and win, but I think I may pay for it over the next few days. The pain normally lasts for about a week or so.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    my wife is also good at massaging my ass... thats true love!
    Ask tay's wife to help.

Tried accupuncture? Apparently it works on dogs. Not sure about prawns though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X