• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Herniated/Slipped disc and Sciatica

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a bad back many years ago, and what cured me was:
    • new car with better seats
    • new bed with better back support
    • standing up more rather than thinking "I've got a bad back and need to sit down"

The first two were a good start, but it wasn't until I built up more strength in the back that the pain disappeared.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Stop waa@nking - or at least cut down. It helps. This is because you sit in front of the PC for hours on end jackin off, all the time straining your leg, back and arm muscles.

You might laugh, but it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
        Stop w**king - or at least cut down. It helps. This is because you sit in front of the PC for hours on end jackin off, all the time straining your leg, back and arm muscles.
        Is it okay to w**k lying down i.e. in a non seated position? Or have I misunderstood your post?

Comment

This is not a cure... but it is amazinf to alleviate sciatic symptoms.
          The reason sciatica hurts (in the end) is becuse the sciatic nerve is getting crushed by muscles in your ass. So massaging these muscles is key.
          What helps greatly is a...

TENNIS BALL!

Get the ball and put it against the wall.. and then press against the ball with the part of your ass that feels sore and knotted up. Gently roll the ball about as its wedged between the wall and your ass.
          The ball isnt to hard so doesnt hurt, but is firm enough to knead the bunched and spasming muscles. Its like doing a self massage.
          This works for all sorts of back troubles where muscles are bunching up.

Obviously its not a cure as the underlying issue is not getting fixed, but... it will alleviate the pain immediately.

I use this method and my wife is also good at massaging my ass... thats true love!

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
            my wife is also good at massaging my ass... thats true love!
            Ask tay's wife to help.

Tried accupuncture? Apparently it works on dogs. Not sure about prawns though.
            Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

I've been suffering from a lapsed disc and sciatica for about ten years now. First occurred in my early twenties during football training. These days, it seems to flair up every six to nine months, funnily enough with the last bout having kicked off yesterday during a game of squash.

Of course, being ultra-competitive, I had to carry on playing and win, but I think I may pay for it over the next few days. The pain normally lasts for about a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
                I've been suffering from a lapsed disc and sciatica for about ten years now. First occurred in my early twenties during football training. These days, it seems to flair up every six to nine months, funnily enough with the last bout having kicked off yesterday during a game of squash.

Of course, being ultra-competitive, I had to carry on playing and win, but I think I may pay for it over the next few days. The pain normally lasts for about a week or so.
                Car Battery + Jumper Leads + Testicals

Takes yer mind off it

PS: Get somebody else to carry the Battery. You wouldn't want to aggravate the back pain would you ?
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

This is not a cure... but it is amazinf to alleviate sciatic symptoms.
                  The reason sciatica hurts (in the end) is becuse the sciatic nerve is getting crushed by muscles in your ass. So massaging these muscles is key.
                  What helps greatly is a...

TENNIS BALL!

Get the ball and put it against the wall.. and then press against the ball with the part of your ass that feels sore and knotted up. Gently roll the ball about as its wedged between the wall and your ass.
                  The ball isnt to hard so doesnt hurt, but is firm enough to knead the bunched and spasming muscles. Its like doing a self massage.
                  This works for all sorts of back troubles where muscles are bunching up.

Obviously its not a cure as the underlying issue is not getting fixed, but... it will alleviate the pain immediately.

I use this method and my wife is also good at massaging my ass... thats true love!
                  I can see alot of logic in this - I think I have managed to divide my back pain into 2 types - trauma and stress. trauma when I do somehing silly(last time was racing my builder to climb a fireman's pole - dont ask!). stress mostly from work but having a 3 month old baby doesn't help.

I always do pilates on a Monday night which protects against both types of pain.

Comment

.. sciatic nerve is getting crushed by muscles in your ass. ...
                    Arse - or are you a yank? Or do you really mean a donkey is sitting on you?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Am suffering from this at the moment. Sitting at the computer makes it worse.

I guess my limbo dancing days are over. Anyone had this treated (MRI scans and surgery) or do I have to walk round like I have a carrot up my @rse for the rest of my years.

Bloody old age.
                      Try Chiro for a few months, if that doesn't work try physio and get some young totty to massage your buttocks as tay says.
                      There are a set of exercises that can help (physio can give you them) and its crucial not to sit down for long periods without getting up and moving about.
                      I won't have surgery as its a discomfort in my leg rather than severe back pain (which I had several years ago when I slipped a disc).
                      Chiros helped with initial back pain around the discs, but never fixed sciatica running down the leg over a longer period so I stopped going.
                      Its discomfort rather than agonising pain, so I won't consider surgery unless its an absolute last resort.

Get a car with Recaro-type seats with good lumbar support, work chair also.
                      Or just stop working - even better.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X