• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: R S I

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "R S I"

Collapse

• balaplus
    replied
    Mild versions of CTS can clear in about a years time with better ergonomic practice (Nerve conduction studies indicate the degree). Surgery should be the last option and only done if it cannot be treated with splints etc.

Leave a comment:

• robnjc
    replied
    Get down the doctors and keep pushing.

Friend of mine was diagnosed at the GP with CTS, after 9 months he was referred and the physio & orthopadeic consultant said no its not, after another year and 2 sets of Xrays, 2 MRI scans, neural conductivity tests and blood & urine tests he ws finally diagnosed with Parkinsons.

At one point the ortho guy said - "go away and come back in a year if it does not clear up"!!! Forrtunatley my mate did not accept this as a solution....

its very unlikely its Parkys - my mate is less than 50 so its a bit unusual, but it can strike everyone...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Stress seems to cure things as well. Have had problems with pains in mouth for years, then recently got quite stressed over a neighbour dispute and it completely cleared up. Now feeling relaxed again and it's all coming back.

Leave a comment:

• balaplus
    replied
    You could start by using an ergonomic software like RSIGUARD.

It did wonders for me...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I have this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side. --Marvin the paranoid android

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's that bad batch of diodes playing up again...
    Not sure what you are referring to here Zeity, but it's conjured up an image of Yul Brunner in Westworld.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I was booked in for an MRI but when I turned up they just gave me x-rays (bloody cheap skate NHS!) The other thing it could be is nerves trapping in my neck, again this may be brought on by stress induced tension, I plan to chill out a bit more this year.
    I had two slipped disks in my neck. X-ray couldn't see them, nor could CAT scan. MRI could.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I get RSI if I use a standard keyboard & mouse. Not terribly but my hands feel numb and strengthless (although actual strength doesn't seem much reduced, it just feels it). Considering you plan to use a computer for your living in the future, it is not something to take lightly.

The plus of working for myself from home is I can get exactly the setup I want. But I have to pay for it... companies should help you out (I believe the have to) but you won't get free reign to choose anything you want.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Could it not be sciatica ?
    No.

The sciatic nerves run from the lower spine down past each buttock to the knee. Any pain in this area alone could be sciatica because it is common for this nerve to get trapped. If the pain starts in the shoulder then it's obviously not sciatic pain.
    Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 10 January 2008, 12:06.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Exercise. Not running though. A few sessions with mega heavy free weights will cure almost anything.

Next.

Or if you already do exercise, quit it for a while.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    i.e. he hasn't got a bloody clue and stress is the current excuse for anything you can't diagnose....

I would suggest going to see a chiropractor, they can do some amazing things. Had one re-align my back a few years ago (I had a couple of vertibrae mis-aligned in a car accident when I was younger and slipped disk a couple of times most likely due to this) and I have had no problems since.

The physio I went to see previously gave me exercises to rebuild my muscles around the mis-aligned disks rather than straighten my back out which didn't work.
    I was booked in for an MRI but when I turned up they just gave me x-rays (bloody cheap skate NHS!) The other thing it could be is nerves trapping in my neck, again this may be brought on by stress induced tension, I plan to chill out a bit more this year.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Yeah, I thought that too.

You definitely don't want this.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt but wish I hadn't.

Mine was/is mild so I count myself lucky.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I don't know about RSI but I get a pain that runs from my shoulder down to the back of my leg but only get it whilst at work, the doc thinks its stress related... god only knows what I'd be like if I had to get a real job.
    i.e. he hasn't got a bloody clue and stress is the current excuse for anything you can't diagnose....

I would suggest going to see a chiropractor, they can do some amazing things. Had one re-align my back a few years ago (I had a couple of vertibrae mis-aligned in a car accident when I was younger and slipped disk a couple of times most likely due to this) and I have had no problems since.

The physio I went to see previously gave me exercises to rebuild my muscles around the mis-aligned disks rather than straighten my back out which didn't work.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I don't know about RSI but I get a pain that runs from my shoulder down to the back of my leg but only get it whilst at work, the doc thinks its stress related... god only knows what I'd be like if I had to get a real job.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    You mean most women have carpel tunnel syndrome!!!
    We are just trying to make you feel strong.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X