• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "the dos and don'ts of office life"

Collapse

• jo99
    replied
    that reminds me .....make sure you get a good chair and ask for a workstation assessment so that you can get the best gear....

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The women will love you if you have a decent watch (rolex, philippe patek, you get the drift), a tie worth more than the GDP of Ghana and cufflinks forged from unobtainium.

Or you could just buy them doughnuts and cream cakes.

Make sure that, regardless of what you call your stapler, you put your name on it and guard it carefully.

Under no circumstances make eye contact with the person who looks after the stationery cupboard.

Leave a comment:

• jo99
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not contracting on this one, that would have been too much to expect; but when I do contract again, a flashy car is top of the list.

now you tell us!

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    As a freelancer you've got to set the right image from the start. If you don't own one, hire a Porsche for your first day's arrival. And ensure your shirt pocket is stuffed full of £20s.
    Unfortunately I'm not contracting on this one, that would have been too much to expect; but when I do contract again, a flashy car is top of the list.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by jo99 View Post
    and don'f forget to talk about your world trip....

Though keep the two years spent at her majesty's pleasure to yourself

Leave a comment:

• jo99
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    As a freelancer you've got to set the right image from the start. If you don't own one, hire a Porsche for your first day's arrival. And ensure your shirt pocket is stuffed full of £20s.
    and don'f forget to talk about your world trip....

Leave a comment:

• jo99
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    That might be difficult if you're a woman. All the geekier men (and this is IT) will run away from you.
    and your point is?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    How about making a list of men and rating them on geekness?
    That might be difficult if you're a woman. All the geekier men (and this is IT) will run away from you.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by Pinto View Post
    Don't ask stupid questions.
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    should've seen that one coming

The rest are more like it, keep em coming. Oh I'm not a bird.

Leave a comment:

• jo99
    replied
    How about making a list of men and rating them on geekness?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    unless you are a woman - we do exist - really we do.....
    Then definitely do what I said. I can't imagine a better way of making friends with your male colleagues.

The women might not be so impressed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    No we are invisible

Leave a comment:

• jo99
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Spend your first day working on a chart listing the attributes of all the women in the office. Then spend your second day working out a way of ordering it.

Everybody will like you after that.

Leave a comment:

• Newbie000
    replied
    Don't name your desk stapler "Mohammad".
    You could be stapled to death for insulting stationary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X