• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Online banking -changing password"

Collapse

• Keldin
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    My solution is more ingenious. I withdrew all my money and stuck it under the mattress.
    I cant remember which mattress I stuck it under though

You must have the same bank as me. Different branch though because mine all goes in an old mayonnaise jar buried in the back garden.

K

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    My solution is more ingenious. I withdrew all my money and stuck it under the mattress.
    I cant remember which mattress I stuck it under though

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I got some darn little gadget from Natwest the other day, I have to shove the card in (which card I am not too sure) and then type in the numbers it comes up with at intervals. Bleedin eck.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Give the bank a nickname and put it down as a telephone number in your diary/mobole phone, or iPhone if you are a gay
    iPhone it is then.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    ...and another for insecure places.
    Perhaps you don't tell them that you love them often enough....

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Use a ‘salting’ technique. Or at least that’s a word that I may have incorrectly attributed to the technique.

Basically you just have just one word to remember, and salt it with variations. It's secure since you will have a long key, but is easier to remember than constantly changing keys.

For instance if you memorable word is fred, a password could be fredxxx on website xxx, on website yyy is fredyyy, ect. Of course if everyone did this, or knwe you were doing it, it would become insecure. I usually have one secure one and another for insecure places.

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Where xxxx = your usual password

January = xxxx-1
    February = xxxx-2
    March = xxxx-3
    Apri; = xxxx-4

Get the idea?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    post your passwords (and other login info) in this thread

as you're online anyway, access is quick and easy!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    hmmmm I wonder how I can remember a number between one and twelve that needs changing monthly.*

*wanders off scratching head
    I don't know. I'll see what I can come up with....doesn't sound easy though...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    My wonderful online bank has just changed their security so that, not only do I have to change my password every five minutes, but it won't allow any of the previous 12 passwords to be reused. It also has to be very long and contain numbers and characters.

Now, short of writing it down, can anyone suggest a way that I can remember which of the 12 it is currently expecting me to enter?

Come up with a sentence with the appropriate number of words in it to match the password length. Take the 1st letter of each word and substitute letters for numbers where you can.

eg. The Quick Brown Fox Jumped Over The Lazy Dog.

Becomes TQBFJOTLD

Becomes TQ8FJ0TLD

All you have to remember is the initial sentence.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    How about

password 1 = 1xxxxxxxxxxX

password 2 = x2xxxxxxxxxX

password 3 = xx3xxxxxxxxX

password 3 = xxx4xxxxxxxX

onto password 12

i.e. same word but move the number about within it 12 times

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Now, short of writing it down, can anyone suggest a way that I can remember which of the 12 it is currently expecting me to enter?

hmmmm I wonder how I can remember a number between one and twelve that needs changing monthly.*

*wanders off scratching head

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Give the bank a nickname and put it down as a telephone number in your diary/mobole phone, or iPhone if you are a gay

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic Online banking -changing password

Online banking -changing password

My wonderful online bank has just changed their security so that, not only do I have to change my password every five minutes, but it won't allow any of the previous 12 passwords to be reused. It also has to be very long and contain numbers and characters.

Working...
X