• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lumbar Puncture

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lumbar Puncture"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    That's truly grim Hyper !

At least I now know what inspired your signature.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Sorry to hear about this BGG.

If it's any consolation, I had Campylobacter food poisoning many, many years ago. Managed to lose over 2 stone in under 2 weeks with a haemorrhaged bowel, bleeding blood from my ar$e like nobody's business.

Went for a visit to the hospital as my mum was worried (especially as my hair was coming out in clumps) and the doc made me lie on the couch with my knees up. They stuck a cold white tube up my ar$e, pumped it up to check for perforations and then removed it - all while I was suffering from chronic diarrhoea.

Not surprisingly I shat the bed.

At least the GP was kind enough to wipe up after me...
    Beautifully worded. Have you ever thought about writing for a living ?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Sorry to hear about this BGG.

If it's any consolation, I had Campylobacter food poisoning many, many years ago. Managed to lose over 2 stone in under 2 weeks with a haemorrhaged bowel, bleeding blood from my ar$e like nobody's business.

Went for a visit to the hospital as my mum was worried (especially as my hair was coming out in clumps) and the doc made me lie on the couch with my knees up. They stuck a cold white tube up my ar$e, pumped it up to check for perforations and then removed it - all while I was suffering from chronic diarrhoea.

Not surprisingly I shat the bed.

At least the GP was kind enough to wipe up after me...
    Last edited by hyperD; 2 November 2007, 14:56.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Aye, well if it is MS (and the checklist of symptoms does strongly indicate that way), I'd just deal with it and get on with it anyway.

Adapt and overcome and all that.

Leave a comment:

• Toffnana
    replied
    Brings back memories

Remember having my LP over 3 years ok like it was yesterday. Luckily they did it on the first with 'only' scraping the bone a little..still went into a state of shock afterwards. Can only guess the kind of hell you went through but at least it's worth it (also with an LP they can tell 100% whether MS or not so ends all the nagging doubts etc.)

Anyway, hope the results are good for you mate.

Toff

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Cheers for the good lucks.

(Off topic - is it classic board games only or have you ever dabbled in the lead soldier type?)
    Both actually.

I collect and play boardgames (Currently standing at 86 different boardgames now)
    I would say about 5-6 are the traditional classics, such as Monopoly, Scrabble, etc.

The rest are more contemporary such as Settlers of Catan, Warrior Knights, Talisman, Warcraft, Junta, Entdecker, Runebound, etc.

1 or 2 are more serious wargames, eg, Axis and Allies, etc.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Ah. No - the mate in question rolled a mini over an embankment into a tree, crawled out into the road with a broken neck, flagged down help only to collapse and wake up in traction.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Not me. There was no specific cause for my slipped disks. Though it took the surgeon twice as long as he'd expected to clear them out, because of the scar tissue, that had accumulated from probably around 10 years of slipping disks in my neck. ( That was never diagnosed as such ).

and any way, I have no (visible) mates.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Bunch of wimps... ...Fortunately, at the time, I was in a permie job.
    Hmm... One of my best mates had the same thing happen to him. I don't know you, by any chance? You didn't damage your neck in a car accident, by any chance? While marshalling for a rally?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Bunch of wimps. I had a two discs from my neck removed. Going in through the throat, move aside the muscles, trachae, veins and arteries and all that gubbins, to expose the spine. Scarpe out the two disks, and where they'd leaked.
    Hence your username

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
    BGG

I think you are VERY brave! When I had my daughter I had to have a spinal block and I was having nightmares for about a week before, to the point where the anaesthetist actually discussed a general with me as I was convinced I would be too panicked to sit still, just the whole idea of going into my spine and the possible complications terrified me. As it was it were fine but still the thought makes me go cold.

An LP is scary beyond belief!

Bunch of wimps. I had a two discs from my neck removed. Going in through the throat, move aside the muscles, trachae, veins and arteries and all that gubbins, to expose the spine. Scrape out the two disks, and where they'd leaked. Scalpel millimetres from spinal cord. But the surgeon told me that while complete paraplegia was a risk, he'd never heard of a case in 50 years...

...and so I was completely terrified. But 2 hours before surgery they gave me a happy pill, and all my fear just melted away.

I'm quite glad I did it though. Went from being essentially bedridden (couldn't sit up for more than five minutes without excrutiating pain) and/or drugged to the eyeballs, to no medication and complete mobility over a few days. Fortunately, at the time, I was in a permie job.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    scarping
    scarping
    scraping

Get with the programme, people... it's not that hard

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Mine is having bone marrow taken from the spine. I stopped donating blood after seeing this on telly.
    OW. OWWW! My phobia has just changed to that one, with a lumbar puncture. OW!

OW!

P.S. Good luck boardgamegeek - forgot to say it before.
    (Off topic - is it classic board games only or have you ever dabbled in the lead soldier type?)

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    BGG

I think you are VERY brave! When I had my daughter I had to have a spinal block and I was having nightmares for about a week before, to the point where the anaesthetist actually discussed a general with me as I was convinced I would be too panicked to sit still, just the whole idea of going into my spine and the possible complications terrified me. As it was it were fine but still the thought makes me go cold.

An LP is scary beyond belief!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    Lumbar puncture. OW. OW. OW.

My personal phobia. Never, ever have one if you don't have to. OW. *shudder*

If they go wrong, it's supposed to be catastrophic isn't it?

OW.
    Mine is having bone marrow taken from the spine. I stopped donating blood after seeing this on telly.

Good luck with the results BGG.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X