• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Surf or go home?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Surf or go home?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    b until get bored, then go home... but still charge for the day.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Depends on the weather - if it's good, go home and relax.

If not, then surf away.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    B. You are a contractor, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Ok, here's the situation - at a client's on project-based work. Just made a release. Due to move on to the next stage of the project but currently don't have enough information to enable me to start the next stage or even look at defining the work. Products Manager is up to his neck in meetings etc and the Project Lead is on vacation moving house.

So twiddling my thumbs.

Do I:

a) do the full "not a permie, no work I'm going home" thing (but of course no pay)?

or

b) surf and drink tea, billing the client?

What would you do?
    B. but do my surfing on the Microsoft Learning Website - thereby getting paid by the client for training on something that will be no help to them whatsoever

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Facebook

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Ah... of course... I was wondering what to book the time to.... "training"

Glad to be of help

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Pop into the gents and whack one out.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    You always need to keep your thumb twiddling skill up to date, I find I always need them at some point during a project.
    Ah... of course... I was wondering what to book the time to.... "training"

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Maybe book a holiday?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    In exactly the same situation right now for today and maybe tomorrow.. option B for me, plus looking online for training courses and thinking what to get myself for upcoming b'day... mmmm tea

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    surfs up!

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I'll have a (B) please Bob.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    So twiddling my thumbs.

Do I:

a) do the full "not a permie, no work I'm going home" thing (but of course no pay)?

or

What would you do?
    You always need to keep your thumb twiddling skill up to date, I find I always need them at some point during a project.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    option b all the time

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    started a topic Surf or go home?

Surf or go home?

Ok, here's the situation - at a client's on project-based work. Just made a release. Due to move on to the next stage of the project but currently don't have enough information to enable me to start the next stage or even look at defining the work. Products Manager is up to his neck in meetings etc and the Project Lead is on vacation moving house.

So twiddling my thumbs.

Do I:

or

What would you do?

Working...
X