• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First day on new gig"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Sounds like another trick to me Zam. A cunning one.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Most relieved to hear it Zam.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Glad the dark clouds have lifted

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    but hey I get home just after five am going to enjoy every single day.
    Result

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Thaks everyone. Things were better yesterday cuz someone printed a BRD for me so read it and drawn assumption on what am going to be doing, and started doing it.

Finally today I met with the PM for the weekly progress meeting I showed him what I did and my action plan, he was really happy, and given advice about all sort of things (including on who to go to to get my timesheet signed and faxed on time etc) He explained that he had an ID for me now and he is trying hard to get me and the third contractor a login ASAP.

I suspect like Thunderlizard said on the first day he was trying to wind me up or just joke, or even innocently enquiring whether I understood the docs he gave me to read. I also found out he is an old chum with the agent, the agent actually an ex contractor who turned to the dark side, so perhaps the agent’s conversation re my work was cuz the agent is being nosey, or from a chat he had with PM and not specifically directed at me?? Who knows

Anyway I think all is well (and I really hope it is) this gig is really good rates, close to home, working hours 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm (office is deserted at 5 pm), the work I can do in my sleep and may get boring, but hey I get home just after five am going to enjoy every single day.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    On the 1st day I always bring my laptop. I can create spreadsheets without connecting to the corporate LAN. Just in case.

HTH
    Me too

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    happy to report, second day much much better, still haven't managed to meet the PM though (he's always in meetings held on another site about 5 miles away) rest of people I am sitting with are not on the same project !! will keep invoicing till they decide to give me proper work or say good bye.. what the heck!!
    Great that you're getting paid for doing nowt, but I don't see how your 2nd day is any better than the 1st? i.e. you're in the same position and the PM might come back and give you what for again when he realises you still haven't achieved anything.

Maybe take the advice on this board (except of course Milan's) and show them that you're capable of sowing some seeds even when the land looks barren.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    It's all in the execution.
    Bit harsh? Suppose he promises not to tell anyone?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    calibration

Depends what you're looking for. But say if you want to find out whether somebody's good in a crisis, you take a trivial problem early on and act like it's a crisis (before they know better). If they couldn't be bothered, or jump out of the nearest window, you know you need to watch out if a real crisis ever comes along. If they respond with a dignified stiff upper lip (a la Kipling's If) you can probably cut them some slack.

Of course this can blow up in your face, because if they suss you out, it can look like you're crying wolf and all respect for you goes down the toilet. It's all in the execution.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Good to hear it Zam. Turned out nice again.

Some PMs (me included) like to "calibrate" their team members early on. Unfortunately some (me excluded) are crap at it.

At least spend your time becoming friends with everybody who is in the office, so you've got people on your side if the PM gets shirty again.
    Pm never got shirty, he is a very old man (also contractor) he must be over 60! very polite very articulate very calm, director type, could turn up very very good, could turn up a cold ruthless fish - you just never know...

Anyho how do you calibrate your team members?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Good to hear it Zam. Turned out nice again.

Some PMs (me included) like to "calibrate" their team members early on. Unfortunately some (me excluded) are crap at it.

At least spend your time becoming friends with everybody who is in the office, so you've got people on your side if the PM gets shirty again.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    happy to report, second day much much better, still haven't managed to meet the PM though (he's always in meetings held on another site about 5 miles away) rest of people I am sitting with are not on the same project !! will keep invoicing till they decide to give me proper work or say good bye.. what the heck!!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    unless you've got something else more important to do never wait more than 10 minutes ... and that doesn't just go for the first day.
    Absolutely. You'll never get your post count here up to godlike levels if you keep waiting more than ten minutes between posts.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I waited 1 hour, then 2 hours then 3 hours had my lunch, and waited waited...nothing.. started doing my own things, then at 5pm the PM
    unless you've got something else more important to do never wait more than 10 minutes ... and that doesn't just go for the first day.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Pr1ck

Was trying to be nice - you're being a bit OTT
    True

Leave a comment:

Working...
X