• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First day on new gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course I have... its hard to judge without knowing what the PM was doing all day... but it would have to be pretty amazingly important to ignore a new resource all day. The fact he complained about the contractor makes it even sillier.[/QUOTE]

Complaining was a bit bizarre I'll agree there. Could be the agent taking things a bit strangely I guess?

I'm just trying to give the other side, there's ways of being helpful...

Comment

Muttley

In your next interview for a PM job.. be sure to mention how you would treat a new resource if you were having a busy day...... bound to get the job if you say.

"I was really busy and didnt have time to do anything with him (not even get him computer access or meaningful documents), so I just rung the agent and complained about him"

Comment

See now I look like an ass.. as you wrote a nicer reply and then I posted my one before seeing yours.. damn internet forums

Comment

[QUOTE=tay;296970]Muttley

In your next interview for a PM job.. be sure to mention how you would treat a new resource if you were having a busy day...... bound to get the job if you say.

"I was really busy and didnt have time to do anything with him (not even get him computer access or meaningful documents), so I just rung the agent and complained about him"[/QUOTE

Pr1ck

Was trying to be nice - you're being a bit OTT

Comment

tay,

'See now I look like an ass',

no, it's ok you did that earlier.

Milan.

Comment

Pr1ck

Was trying to be nice - you're being a bit OTT
              True

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
                I waited 1 hour, then 2 hours then 3 hours had my lunch, and waited waited...nothing.. started doing my own things, then at 5pm the PM
                unless you've got something else more important to do never wait more than 10 minutes ... and that doesn't just go for the first day.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  unless you've got something else more important to do never wait more than 10 minutes ... and that doesn't just go for the first day.
                  Absolutely. You'll never get your post count here up to godlike levels if you keep waiting more than ten minutes between posts.

Comment

happy to report, second day much much better, still haven't managed to meet the PM though (he's always in meetings held on another site about 5 miles away) rest of people I am sitting with are not on the same project !! will keep invoicing till they decide to give me proper work or say good bye.. what the heck!!

Comment

Good to hear it Zam. Turned out nice again.

Some PMs (me included) like to "calibrate" their team members early on. Unfortunately some (me excluded) are crap at it.

At least spend your time becoming friends with everybody who is in the office, so you've got people on your side if the PM gets shirty again.

Comment

Working...
                      X