• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First day on new gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AS to the post that said you should try to contact/email everyone and his dog on the form, I'd be a bit wary of that approach. Some people can get annoyed when bombarded with lame (and if you don't have the specific domain knowledge they will be lame) questions.

But yes, try to look busy.

Comment

I wouldnt even bother. Send an email asking for the information that its his job to provide. If you dont get a reply, do nothing, and keep invoicing until they either get thier ass into gear, or have finished using you as a scapegoat.

If they dont give you computer access, tell your PM and just wait. And keep invoicing.

You have been bought in to either do some specific work.. or be a scapegoat. Unless you are a process expert.. your job is not to sort thier tulipe new starter/project process out.

Ignore all the holier than thou experts on this thread (except me)

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
        I wouldnt even bother. Send an email asking for the information that its his job to provide. If you dont get a reply, do nothing, and keep invoicing until they either get thier ass into gear, or have finished using you as a scapegoat.

If they dont give you computer access, tell your PM and just wait. And keep invoicing.

You have been bought in to either do some specific work.. or be a scapegoat. Unless you are a process expert.. your job is not to sort thier tulipe new starter/project process out.

Ignore all the holier than thou experts on this thread (except me)
        What a quality code monkey you are Tay...

The PM may well be run off their feet....help out, try to gain an understanding, show willing and it'll be appreciated...be an arrogant sod, sit on your jacksy, and you'll be out on your backside...

Comment

What would a Lawyer do if you hired them, and then gave them no clear instructions?

They would do nothing and then bill you for every single minute of doing nothing at £200/hr

Have to pay for the Ferrari somehow.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

What a quality code monkey you are Tay...

The PM may well be run off their feet....help out, try to gain an understanding, show willing and it'll be appreciated...be an arrogant sod, sit on your jacksy, and you'll be out on your backside...
            Code Monkey? err ok.

Or I am a PM that knows that ignoring a resource all day isnt very smart. You seem to be confused what a project managers job is.... If you intersted in the field, I can give you a few tips, or recomend a course.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
              Code Monkey? err ok.

Or I am a PM that knows that ignoring a resource all day isnt very smart. You seem to be confused what a project managers job is.... If you intersted in the field, I can give you a few tips, or recomend a course.
              You never been busy and had trouble finding time for people? Okay, this seems an extreme example, but sitting there with your arms folded all day long isn't really helping...

You don't talk like you're a PM - hence I assumed your a code monkey

Comment

muttley whatd does a pm sound like and what does a code monkey sound like??

bless my cotton socks, as i feel confused at this mo.
                cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

You don't talk like you're a PM - hence I assumed your a code monkey
                  Neither do you. Number one priority is to get someone on the first day making some progress, as long as you have been made aware of a situation. You MAKE time to get them up and running. Especially before you ring an agent to complain.

If the OP had hidden away all day, it would bve different. The PM has dropped tha ball very badly... although I am perplexed why a development manager or somesuch hasnt had some sort of role to play.

You never been busy and had trouble finding time for people? Okay, this seems an extreme example, but sitting there with your arms folded all day long isn't really helping...
                  Of course I have... its hard to judge without knowing what the PM was doing all day... but it would have to be pretty amazingly important to ignore a new resource all day. The fact he complained about the contractor makes it even sillier.

Comment

Originally posted by poser View Post
                    muttley whatd does a pm sound like and what does a code monkey sound like??

bless my cotton socks, as i feel confused at this mo.
                    I'd just expect a pm to be more understanding of someone getting swamped with stuff, and perhaps on one day struggling to spend time with someone.

I've had developers who help out, and ones that will sit there saying things aren't their job etc etc...

Comment

thanks muttley
                      cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

Working...
                      X