• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: investment idea

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "investment idea"

Collapse

• brownie74
    replied
    you cannot have half

With the scientific brains of you guys surely you can find some way around not giving half your loot away? There must be a way.

[Possibly spend it before she can get it? Get a penis enlargement and plastic surgery done by the top cosmetic surgeon on Harley St. That way, you can enjoy your earnings after the divorce. The judge can't make you sell your john thomas]

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Problem is if IR35 avoider is unable to work and divorces the missus he is unlikely to get anything like half of current savings & earnings, the wife however is likely to get the lot especially if there are any kids involved.

I feel for you IR35, it takes a while to get them trained up and they still moan!

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    And they say romance is dead?
    It is for those who've had the proceeds of twenty years slaving away at a hot terminal confiscated by the divorce courts. And even for people like me who are merely aware that confiscation is possible. In short, it's only an option for the poor or ignorant. Or maybe for those who plan to spend most of their lives working anyway, so don't care so much if they have to start again with saving. (My plan from day one was to spend as much of my life as possible not working. It's taken somewhat longer than I expected to achieve.)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    It's buried underneath IR35 Avoider's patio.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    Once you're married, you are entitled to nothing from her, but she's entitled to walk off with half your money whenever she feels like it.

If she's after a "wealthier lifestyle" and you're after a looker, the safer approach would be to not get married, live with her, (in which case you can make a binding legal agreement about what happens if/when you separate) hand her a large allowance, large enough that she can save for her future in case you dump her. That way you both know what you're getting and what you're giving and can renegotiate/walk away when no longer satisfied.

My wife-to-be moved in with me six months before we married, whenever I tried to discuss logistics with her (starting before she moved in, because I regarded this as such an important topic) she alway had a plausible reason why we couldn't discuss it just then, this procrastination continued after we were married, eventually one day she got irritated with me raising the subject and said quite bluntly she had no intention of discussing the subject as she had nothing to gain by doing so. This was perfectly true. She had moved into my house, the bills were all in my name, the only sanction I had to prevent her doing (or not doing) whatever she liked would have been to threaten her with divorce. I didn't even want any money, I just wanted her to agree that cooking was an obligation rather than something she did if she felt like it, and give that she wasn't working at the time, that it wasn't unreasonable of me to want the house not to be in more of a mess when I got home than it had been when I left. (The pre-existing mess having also been created by her.)

Ten years later, things are a lot better. Her Investment Banking career has taken off, she's contributing to costs, her savings are still only a third of mine, but with me in the process of retiring (losing my earning ability) I reckon I could threaten her with maintenance demands in order to get her to back off, if she threatened my assets in a divorce settlement. So I'm quite happy now. Though I don't think I get the quality or quantity of shagging I would if we weren't married.

I realise my description may give a bad impression of my wife, actually it should, but she is a lot better these days. We do actually both like each other.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by brownie74 View Post
    this sounds very harsh

whats the point in having all that money if you're on your own, sitting at home counting it

she gets a wealthier lifestyle, i get shagged regularly by a looker
    Once you're married, you are entitled to nothing from her, but she's entitled to walk off with half your money whenever she feels like it.

If she's after a "wealthier lifestyle" and you're after a looker, the safer approach would be to not get married, live with her, (in which case you can make a binding legal agreement about what happens if/when you separate) hand her a large allowance, large enough that she can save for her future in case you dump her. That way you both know what you're getting and what you're giving and can renegotiate/walk away when no longer satisfied.

My wife-to-be moved in with me six months before we married, whenever I tried to discuss logistics with her (starting before she moved in, because I regarded this as such an important topic) she alway had a plausible reason why we couldn't discuss it just then, this procrastination continued after we were married, eventually one day she got irritated with me raising the subject and said quite bluntly she had no intention of discussing the subject as she had nothing to gain by doing so. This was perfectly true. She had moved into my house, the bills were all in my name, the only sanction I had to prevent her doing (or not doing) whatever she liked would have been to threaten her with divorce. I didn't even want any money, I just wanted her to agree that cooking was an obligation rather than something she did if she felt like it, and give that she wasn't working at the time, that it wasn't unreasonable of me to want the house not to be in more of a mess when I got home than it had been when I left. (The pre-existing mess having also been created by her.)

Ten years later, things are a lot better. Her Investment Banking career has taken off, she's contributing to costs, her savings are still only a third of mine, but with me in the process of retiring (losing my earning ability) I reckon I could threaten her with maintenance demands in order to get her to back off, if she threatened my assets in a divorce settlement. So I'm quite happy now. Though I don't think I get the quality or quantity of shagging I would if we weren't married.

I realise my description may give a bad impression of my wife, actually it should, but she is a lot better these days. We do actually both like each other.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 September 2007, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    this sounds very harsh

whats the point in having all that money if you're on your own, sitting at home counting it

You've never been married before have you?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Fewer arguments too!
    Last edited by vetran; 18 September 2007, 10:08. Reason: bad Grammar innit

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    this sounds very harsh

It would work out cheaper to hire a cook and a maid and a hooker.

Leave a comment:

• brownie74
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    The law has created a situation in which it's quite simply madness for anyone to marry someone with different wealth (or prospects of wealth) to themselves.
    this sounds very harsh

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I'm married and hoping to avoid ever being divorced, but if I ever have to face the possibility again there's no way I'd get married. I might consider it if she had as much as me and I was 100% confident she couldn't/wouldn't spend all her money after the wedding. But maybe not even then; if the symbolic act of the wedding means so much to her then there's an irrationality bone in her head that means you can't have faith in how she's going to think or behave in future anyway.

If someone with less wealth can't readily accept why I want to protect mine, then that's a defect that reinforces the importance of not getting hitched to them.

The law has created a situation in which it's quite simply madness for anyone to marry someone with different wealth (or prospects of wealth) to themselves.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    the only solution is to marry someone with more money than you.
    Surprised it's taken 5 pages to work this out

Leave a comment:

• castoff101
    replied
    and do not tell your future wife that you have all this money, just in case

I have been divorced and my ex got half of a lot of money I made ten years before I even met her.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver
    Invest in the property market, Buy to lease.
    Asset value will increase while you gain a second income.
    Just make sure that you don't buy on a floodplane
    Sage advice. Buy property on hilltops - really.

Leave a comment:

• brownie74
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Is the 3500 discounted to present value, if not £3500 in thirty odd years will be nothing
    yeah, course.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X