• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

investment idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brownie74
    the compound interest factor is amazing. at 5% it would be worth 700,000 quid in 30 years - buy a 40 year annuity and thats 3500 quid a month at todays rates, until im 103! enough for anyone to live well.
    Is the 3500 discounted to present value, if not £3500 in thirty odd years will be nothing
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
      Ok, how about:
      Keep the 100k in a high interest - delayed access account (don't tell her if it helps).
      Each year seed 7k into a shares ISA (use a discount broker e.g. Hargreaves-Lansdowne to reduce commision) Pick varied and general funds + trackers (pick on annual commision %) from the big players - Fidelity, Jupiter etc. Been doing this for 10 years (only when had spare cash) average return is 10.7% (thought it was 14, but forgot to compound the returns). This is all tax free and never needs to be put on a tax return (will be needed for asset list during a divorce though.
      Chuck a few k into a pension also (suggest SIPP, see HL for this also). This way all the 100k never gets all tied up as the ISA's can be cashed and the rest of the 100k is available at shortish notice.
      Kiss goodbye to large proportion after divorce though, why do you think many divorced blokes are in bedsits/tiny flats ? Doing a runner is usually not an option, expecially when you want to see the kids, you have NO leverage at all.
      Property still a good option long term, due to gearing (compound returns on borrowed money) but my own house gives me access to this.
      Pension not safe from divorce, fund will be cashed and split in 2, half goes into her name.
      interesting idea. thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

the only solution is to marry someone with more money than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        Is the 3500 discounted to present value, if not £3500 in thirty odd years will be nothing
        yeah, course.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver
          Invest in the property market, Buy to lease.
          Asset value will increase while you gain a second income.
          Just make sure that you don't buy on a floodplane
          Sage advice. Buy property on hilltops - really.

Comment

and do not tell your future wife that you have all this money, just in case

I have been divorced and my ex got half of a lot of money I made ten years before I even met her.

Comment

Originally posted by brownie74 View Post
              the only solution is to marry someone with more money than you.
              Surprised it's taken 5 pages to work this out
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm married and hoping to avoid ever being divorced, but if I ever have to face the possibility again there's no way I'd get married. I might consider it if she had as much as me and I was 100% confident she couldn't/wouldn't spend all her money after the wedding. But maybe not even then; if the symbolic act of the wedding means so much to her then there's an irrationality bone in her head that means you can't have faith in how she's going to think or behave in future anyway.

If someone with less wealth can't readily accept why I want to protect mine, then that's a defect that reinforces the importance of not getting hitched to them.

The law has created a situation in which it's quite simply madness for anyone to marry someone with different wealth (or prospects of wealth) to themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                  The law has created a situation in which it's quite simply madness for anyone to marry someone with different wealth (or prospects of wealth) to themselves.
                  this sounds very harsh

whats the point in having all that money if you're on your own, sitting at home counting it

she gets a wealthier lifestyle, i get shagged regularly by a looker

Comment

Originally posted by brownie74 View Post
                    this sounds very harsh

whats the point in having all that money if you're on your own, sitting at home counting it

she gets a wealthier lifestyle, i get shagged regularly by a looker
                    It would work out cheaper to hire a cook and a maid and a hooker.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Fewer arguments too!
                      Last edited by vetran; 18 September 2007, 10:08. Reason: bad Grammar innit
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X