• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How Slow Can You Go?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Jaywalking doesn't exist in the UK it is a US thing.

Basically if you aren't travelling by a mode of transport that needs a license you have priority over those that do on the roads.
    it is a US thing and many other backward countries like Australia, Spain & Canada as a safety measure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6251431.s...nd%20Australia.

Maybe we should reconsider, considering the stupidity I see exhibited by many pedestrians.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And?

It happens where ladymuck lives. It is mainly caused by congestion which is caused by things like accidents and road works not a 20mph speed limit.

I live on part of a road that has had a 20mph speed limit since I've lived on the road - it doesn't stop emergency vehicles using it and going faster.
    A number of villages round here have 20mph areas and they have adjusted the road layout accordingly which increases congestion I can assure you that emergency vehicles are impacted considerably.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

However when traffic is bunched up even on blues & twos they have to slow to a crawl.
    And?

It happens where ladymuck lives. It is mainly caused by congestion which is caused by things like accidents and road works not a 20mph speed limit.

I live on part of a road that has had a 20mph speed limit since I've lived on the road - it doesn't stop emergency vehicles using it and going faster.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	z-funny-22.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	4274232
    Jaywalking doesn't exist in the UK it is a US thing.

Basically if you aren't travelling by a mode of transport that needs a license you have priority over those that do on the roads.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

A bit disingenuous to say emergency services will be slowed down. They can overtake and exceed the speed limit when on blues.
    However when traffic is bunched up even on blues & twos they have to slow to a crawl.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	z-funny-22.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	4274232

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

A bit disingenuous to say emergency services will be slowed down. They can overtake and exceed the speed limit when on blues.
    Yes, but normal NHS transport will be affected and a lot use taxis to areas not on a established route. I know this unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

Yes taxi fares will go up, already heard drivers bragging that 20mph is good for business.

Public transport and emergency services will be slowed down so fewer services and longer journey times, all for your benefit

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Most metered taxi fares are based on a combination of time and distance, so I can definitely see them going up.

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Will taxi fares go up to cover increased journey time.
    Will they need more NHS transport, school buses, community transport etc (these won't be in the extra 2 mins window) or will people at the first pickup have to get up at midnight?
    Yes taxi fares will go up, already heard drivers bragging that 20mph is good for business.

Public transport and emergency services will be slowed down so fewer services and longer journey times, all for your benefit

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

So half the weight of a bus.

Have you ever cursed the hazards that are too stupid to recognise physics trumps a sense of entitlement? Most sensible people have.
    you mean cyclists and pedestrians?

No. But I treat them as unpredictable hazards and assume they will do the dumbest things.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by David71 View Post
    ...thinking about it....maybe I'm just a tulip driver?
    It's become self aware

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Tourism will take a hit too, with people heading down to Somerset and beyond instead.

Will taxi fares go up to cover increased journey time.
    Will they need more NHS transport, school buses, community transport etc (these won't be in the extra 2 mins window) or will people at the first pickup have to get up at midnight?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Tourism will take a hit too, with people heading down to Somerset and beyond instead.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by David71 View Post

This is why my car got written off last Friday (before the national drop to 20mph but I was on a road which somehow got reduced a while ago).

Not the only reason, but I 'hit' an unexpected 20mph zone and lost my sense of road position and hit a parked car! Recovery driver said he's been picking up 2 to 3 cars a week in exactly the same spot since the 20mph sign had been put in.

And I nearly wiped out a traffic bollard last night. Coming into a roundabout (from a national speed limit road) there was a new 20mph sign a new 30pgh sign and the existing national speed limit sign. I was so focused on the signs I lost my road position concentration for a second and nearly swiped the road furniture. Luckily it was late and the road was quiet or could have had nasty results. One small roundabout; 3 speed limits!

...thinking about it....maybe I'm just a tulip driver?
    I hope you sue the owner of the parked car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X