• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "France and Spain Road Trip"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Seems a lot of money for tyres I was expecting £500-600 a corner. For tyres (£2400) plus a service etc. £4k makes sense for a Porsche.

Maybe its me but £4k seems a lot to spend on maintaining a 13 year old car its 20% of its value.
    I tend to look after things, I'm happy that the next owner will have a beautiful low milage car that will give them many years of pleasure. It's as simple as that for me.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post

I forget that 4k seems a lot of money to some contractors, are you back being a perm again?
    Seems a lot of money for tyres I was expecting £500-600 a corner. For tyres (£2400) plus a service etc. £4k makes sense for a Porsche.

Maybe its me but £4k seems a lot to spend on maintaining a 13 year old car its 20% of its value.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

AYCOTBAC??? They are gold plated with diamond studs!
    I forget that 4k seems a lot of money to some contractors, are you back being a perm again?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

can't argue with that

can't beat a good road trip

blimey 4k on new tyres are they runflats or something, what are they ?

my mum and dad have just been to Spain in their California using the Santander ferry, fyi, mum said there were lots of people with dogs and dedicated pooing areas

Milan.
    My fault for not taking time to write my contractoruk advert. 4k includes service, new tyres, various things that need replacing on a 13 year old car.

I think when we looked at it the ferry did not allow dogs in the cabin and they had to stay in the car. Something like that.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Only plated? AYCOTBAC?
    it was only £1 k a corner. Its Milan all fur coat!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Only plated? AYCOTBAC?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

can't argue with that

my mum and dad have just been to Spain in their California using the Santander ferry, fyi, mum said there were lots of people with dogs and dedicated pooing areas

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

I think we looked into the ferry a while back, and I'm sure there is an issue with dogs. Can't quite remember. But I actually like the drive. France has some great roads and views.

I've done a road trip in my Porsche Cayman, which is 13 years old, with a full Porsche service history, a 12-month MOT, just serviced, and I spent 4k on new tires and various bits. France is great for taking a fast car on a road trip. Look at me, I nearly made this like my Autotrader advert that you can find online if you are interested or just message me.

can't argue with that

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

why not take the ferry to Santander ?

you need a V8

sorted

Milan.
    I think we looked into the ferry a while back, and I'm sure there is an issue with dogs. Can't quite remember. But I actually like the drive. France has some great roads and views.

I've done a road trip in my Porsche Cayman, which is 13 years old, with a full Porsche service history, a 12-month MOT, just serviced, and I spent 4k on new tires and various bits. France is great for taking a fast car on a road trip. Look at me, I nearly made this like my Autotrader advert that you can find online if you are interested or just message me.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I'd take the diesel. My sister-in-law has an EV. It's a right pain to go any distance.

I've driven on UK plates in France many times. Never had any issues. If you've a co-driver to handle visibility in the passenger seat, there's really no issue. In a few weeks, I'm driving to the UK in my left-hand drive car.
    When visiting the UK, I've nearly always driven my LHD car with no problems, in fact I'm currently there now and have been happily driving around Hampshire for the last 8 days. Roundabouts are a bit of a problem sometimes especially as there are so many and the same goes for potholes, I have seen some huge ones this week...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Having just got back from Leipzig I noticed that Germany & Holland are putting in ev charging on the main services, I changed my route so no longer go via France so can’t comment on their provisions
    It's getting better here but still not as good as it should be if they want people to drive EVs, saying that, the landlord of our apartment complex has put some in our undeground car parking and if you want one, to just let them know. They'll also do it in the cycle room for electric bikes so not too shabby

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Interesting youtube video, it's got me thinking again despite my better judgement.

UK to France in a Tesla 769 miles Can we do it? - YouTube

Tesla long range has about 100 miles more than our EV, so another factor. I'm also going a different route down to Spain so might not be as well equipped as this route. However, Tesla superchargers are open to all cars in UK, France and Spain so another plus I've learnt.

I wonder if i need to get a life.

why not take the ferry to Santander ?

you need a V8

sorted

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Interesting youtube video, it's got me thinking again despite my better judgement.

UK to France in a Tesla 769 miles Can we do it? - YouTube

Tesla long range has about 100 miles more than our EV, so another factor. I'm also going a different route down to Spain so might not be as well equipped as this route. However, Tesla superchargers are open to all cars in UK, France and Spain so another plus I've learnt.

I wonder if i need to get a life.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

Don't know where you're driving from (Milan?) But if you need somewhere reasonably near to stay overnight, I can recommend a guesthouse in Lucca.
    we will be driving from CZ, we'll leave before breakfast and should be at the port within 10 hours

looking on google maps, the old town seems to be only a few hundred metres from the docks, so we should have enough time to go for dinner and then catch our overnight ferry to Sardinia

can't wait

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Benes Invoicing Ltd and family are driving to south Sardinia in July, ferry from Livorno

Milan.
    Don't know where you're driving from (Milan?) But if you need somewhere reasonably near to stay overnight, I can recommend a guesthouse in Lucca.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X