• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm not sure what to make of this one."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
    Tailgating is £100 fine and 3 points on the license.

If someone is tailgating me I will increase the distance between myself and the car in front of me, if needed, to allow an initial light braking to get the tailgater to start braking without hitting me or I will pull over, if possible, to get the dangerous twat out of my danger zone.
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

You really do have an inferiority complex don't you?

How many girls have you slept with again? Go check your chuff chart
    oh dear you seem naive and obsessed with my sex life.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

That is why Warty the super driver has never had any accidents? They see some hairdresser mobile with a man in it dressed as a penis doing his make up in his mobile and give him a very wide berth.
    You really do have an inferiority complex don't you?

How many girls have you slept with again? Go check your chuff chart

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

If someone is tailgating me I will increase the distance between myself and the car in front of me, if needed, to allow an initial light braking to get the tailgater to start braking without hitting me or I will pull over, if possible, to get the dangerous twat out of my danger zone.
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Then don't.
    That is why Warty the super driver has never had any accidents? They see some hairdresser mobile with a man in it dressed as a penis doing his make up in his mobile and give him a very wide berth.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

That is probably one of the most dangerous things you can do for the following reason...

If you apply your brakes then the driver behind you has no inkling initially of how hard or for how long you're braking so they are most likely going to over-brake, possibly causing issues behind them.

The following is what I would do...

Pull over when safe to do so, that way the driver behind me who is behaving so badly is no longer my problem.
    If there is an incident and the person behind me isn't paying attention (clue at 70 you need to be looking half a mile ahead - that is your stopping distance) then that is not my fault. My priority is to keep me & mine alive without actively harming anyone else.

It seems to work for me, as recommended by a number driving experts I cover the brake so the lights just work, most people pull back if they are inadvertent tailgaters. If they don't I slow to maintain my braking distance. You know the people behind are expected not to rear end me? If they can't they should get off the ffin road ditto the ones behind them, when I see tailgaters ahead of me I back off and let them go kill themselves. I would like them actively removed from the road just like speeders are severely reduced since the introduction of speed cameras.

Nothing like a bit of victim shaming from you hang on and it will be alright feckwits.

Its simple you should maintain a gap of 2 seconds from the car ahead of you as advised by the highway code. Failure to do so is the dangerous part not the poor sod being intimidated by an idiot 6 foot from my rear end.

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/road-...afe-stay-back/

Its normally difficult because other drivers like some of your morons do not respect the distance either in front by overtaking and then taking it or behind by trailing . I will actively maintain this distance to preserve my and my passengers safety. This is important in situations where traffic is heavy and something unexpected happens.

Among other situations I have been in 50mph queues where a lorry has lost its tread in front of me, 2 cars collided, caravans and vans rolled, cars pulled out from the hard shoulder without indicators or speeding up, lorries snaking, lorries losing their load. I managed to avoid them thanks to maintaining my braking distance all but it frequently required me to bake heavily and change lanes. This is not possible safely if everyone is six feet from my boot. I have also had issues where my car lost power and most of its coolant at 69 mph which required me to cross two lanes while coasting luckily the drivers in the inner two lanes had a decent stopping distance and gave me the space I needed , seems that would be too difficult for drivers of your calibre.

If you observe most secondary accidents on motorways involve an Audi,Mercedes and BMW (other German penis extensions are available) in a triple rear end shunt which suggests all of them don't understand stopping distance and don't pay attention to the car in front.

The figures suggest that tailgating is a significant part of car accidents, I drive defensively and avoid them.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

The other poster is an idiot to be fair ... but he's slept with loads of women ... apparently .. because we all need to know about his sex life for some reason
    I presented as part of a problem and made a throw away remark, you seemed to be fascinated by it and kept asking inappropriate questions.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

I feel so dirty when I agree with Ziggy

I need a sheep dip to get clean!
    Then don't.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

That is probably one of the most dangerous things you can do for the following reason...

If you apply your brakes then the driver behind you has no inkling initially of how hard or for how long you're braking so they are most likely going to over-brake, possibly causing issues behind them.

Pull over when safe to do so, that way the driver behind me who is behaving so badly is no longer my problem.
    I feel so dirty when I agree with Ziggy

I need a sheep dip to get clean!

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

Last edited by Zigenare; 4 March 2023, 08:04.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oh god you not like one of those people, mostly women, who use their front facing mobile camera to look at themselves?

Oh and you have to be an to not realise you can use your mobile for that.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Us youngsters use our phones to help with makeup application these days. Come on oldie, get with the times.
    Oh god you not like one of those people, mostly women, who use their front facing mobile camera to look at themselves?

Oh and you have to be an to not realise you can use your mobile for that.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Yes, a stop sign is when you're supposed to stop.

When joining a roundabout normally it's not a stop but a give way. (Please note that there are exceptions, such as where traffic lights control the flow, making the traffic light a stop sign when it is red, but these are exceptions, not the normal design or rules for a roundabout.)
    If the roundabout is clear and you can check for on-coming traffic and it's safe for you to proceed, then you do not need to come to a complete stop. The other poster stops at every roundabout, so he says. That tells me he's unaware of the highway code and unaware of his surroundings when driving.
    The other poster is an idiot to be fair ... but he's slept with loads of women ... apparently .. because we all need to know about his sex life for some reason

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

FTFY
    Us youngsters use our phones to help with makeup application these days. Come on oldie, get with the times.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Who has never seen anyone tailgating despite it being implicated in 1 & 8 road casualties, goes everywhere on cruise control and who gets annoyed if he feels someone took too long at a roundabout!
    Love how you change a statement to an 'always' happens ... I never said I drive everywhere on cruise control. I said I use it on motorways and set it to 70 (obviously where and when safe, seems I need to explain everything in simple language to you)

I didn't say I didn't say I don't see tailgating, I said I don't experience it. To keep it simple for you, I don't get tailgated as I drive in a way that I don't block lanes and force drivers up my tailpipe.

Yes, I get annoyed at drivers who hesitate and don't drive progressively ... not just roundabouts, but give way junctions too. But being annoyed doesn't mean I engage road rage ... it means I back off them and give them more space as they are a danger and I stay out of their way.

Next ...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Yes, a stop sign is when you're supposed to stop.

When joining a roundabout normally it's not a stop but a give way. (Please note that there are exceptions, such as where traffic lights control the flow, making the traffic light a stop sign when it is red, but these are exceptions, not the normal design or rules for a roundabout.)
    If the roundabout is clear and you can check for on-coming traffic and it's safe for you to proceed, then you do not need to come to a complete stop. The other poster stops at every roundabout, so he says. That tells me he's unaware of the highway code and unaware of his surroundings when driving.
    I didn't say I stop at every roundabout, I said I stop at roundabouts - i.e. where appropriate. All driving is a decision.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Ziggy got the joke.
    yep, so did I which is why I took the mick!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X