• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thumbs down America"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    I thought Lethal Weapon II made it quite clear that South Africa were the bad guys?
    Well, as the song goes .... I've never met a nice South African ....

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I thought Lethal Weapon II made it quite clear that South Africa were the bad guys?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Just got back from a few weeks working in the USA and apart from Americans offering me commiserations, the TV was full of the royalty crap (apart from PBS UK which is tulip anyway)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Sure V must have posted this DM article already but can't be a*d to check.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ney-China.html

Almost puts me off doing Wordle.
    That's why all shops etc are shut today or until 5pm.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Sure V must have posted this DM article already but can't be a*d to check.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ney-China.html

Almost puts me off doing Wordle.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

You're permanently agitated, it seems to me. I'm surprised you poked your head out of the Brexit subforum, you poor thing .

OK somewhat off topic, but to get back to the subject, the article you posted is behind a pay wall, so how do you know it's anti-monarchy? From the little I've seen it's not actually anti-monarchy but more critical of the Empire, which is different. We're back to the point I made abut it being about patriotism.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

You sound a bit agitated, read your own quote

You haven't answered the question, but I don't expect an answer, and you don't need to answer as we know what you mean

You're permanently agitated, it seems to me. I'm surprised you poked your head out of the Brexit subforum, you poor thing .

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Are you qualified to paraphrase? Or are you as I've long suspected a disrespectful twunt?
    It's interesting how you view what I paraphrased as it says a lot about what you think people are saying.
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

To paraphrase what they said in some Commonwealth African countries like Kenya - we hope she gets in death what she deserves.
    Are you qualified to paraphrase? Or are you as I've long suspected a disrespectful twunt?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Eh? I appreciate that you were discombobulated by Brexit and you're very sad about it, but do try to keep up. I made a general point about the NYT being consistently anti-British (in their opinion pieces over a period of years) and you complained that it had nothing to do with being anti-Royal, I gave you an example of their being anti-Royal (in their opinion pieces) and now you're complaining that it has nothing to do with Brexit.
    You sound a bit agitated, read your own quote

It's basically in competition with the New European, trying to increase its audience share among Brits who, er, aren't very enamored with the UK, post Brexit. Which is fine.
    You haven't answered the question, but I don't expect an answer, and you don't need to answer as we know what you mean

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

and what has this to do with the New European and anyone who criticizes Brexit?

...of course the New European is anti-brexit, and the NYT is copying them by being equally unpatriotic.
    Eh? I appreciate that you were discombobulated by Brexit and you're very sad about it, but do try to keep up. I made a general point about the NYT being consistently anti-British (in their opinion pieces over a period of years) and you complained that it had nothing to do with being anti-Royal, I gave you an example of their being anti-Royal (in their opinion pieces) and now you're complaining that it has nothing to do with Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    To paraphrase what they said in some Commonwealth African countries like Kenya - we hope she gets in death what she deserves.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

...of course the New European is anti-brexit, and the NYT is copying them by being equally unpatriotic.
    No they are both patriotic to their respective countries.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

I think what you mean is that you'd prefer to ignore the actual words I wrote and interpose your own expectation about what they meant. As an aside, I doubt you read their output on recent events very carefully, as they were plugging their opinion piece on the Queen's death with this quote:

Timing is everything.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 September 2022, 17:20.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/o...onization.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X