• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Heatwaves Coming

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Heatwaves Coming"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't want to be so hot I have to find a way to enjoy cooling down. And most of my time outside is spent tending to the estate which is often hot work and requires me to wear work clothes.

I can never understand how bin-men and road-workers so on cope wearing full protective gear even in UK summer, let alone countries where it's frequently in the 30s. Think I'm more suited to artic climes.
    They don't have any choice due to H&S reasons.

Bin men also start very early in the day. Pre-pandemic our bin collections were often at 6am now the earliest collection is 6.30am. This means they would finish around 2pm.

Road sweepers the same.

Road workers, tree surgeons and gardeners for public parts in my area can start at 7.30am and I've noticed now that most of them aren't British - well they are speaking in foreign languages to each other. Very amusing when there are a group when half of them speak different languages.

Leave a comment:

• Guy At Charnock Richard
    replied
    I don't want to be so hot I have to find a way to enjoy cooling down. And most of my time outside is spent tending to the estate which is often hot work and requires me to wear work clothes.

I can never understand how bin-men and road-workers so on cope wearing full protective gear even in UK summer, let alone countries where it's frequently in the 30s. Think I'm more suited to artic climes.
    I bet they go commando ;-)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Yes, that's what the BBC say while showing Bournemouth Beach that has a forecast of 26c today.
    It's never going to be as hot on the coast...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

32 expected where I am today
    Yes, that's what the BBC say while showing Bournemouth Beach that has a forecast of 26c today.

Leave a comment:

• Guy At Charnock Richard
    replied
    We seem to have lost ours. It was supposed to be gradually climbing all week towards 25 today, then crashing back to 17. All on track except today has stalled at 22 and cloudy.

Pretty happy
    Really??

we're forecast 29 degrees and it looks like we're getting it and I'm glad because it's the summertime. Furthermore, our pool is up (so is the dog's too) and we're looking forward to cooling off in there later on.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    We seem to have lost ours. It was supposed to be gradually climbing all week towards 25 today, then crashing back to 17. All on track except today has stalled at 22 and cloudy.

Pretty happy

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If you're very good, I'll open the vent on the basement and let some air in.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    "Temperatures could reach the mid-30s in parts of the UK this week..." Well it didn't, not even 30c. Climate change stunt by the Met Office

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    "Temperatures could reach the mid-30s in parts of the UK this week..." Well it didn't, not even 30c. Climate change stunt by the Met Office

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2fe6cb32629b6aa5f9d3623bfcc92e8277497fef.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	4221286

No doubt Heathrow will have the highest temperature.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    How does SE England = Britain?
    It said "parts of the UK" and I think the SE of England is in the UK. Most of the UK is forecast high temperatures, I see 25C forecast here in the NE and that is notable/brace-worthy.
    Last edited by d000hg; 13 June 2022, 13:08.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    How does SE England = Britain?
    Poor reporting.

Reporters are not known for their geographic knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Positive attitudes are proven to be bad for your health! I supply miserable git lessons for a very reasonable cost.
    Where do I sign up?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Last summer the UK had some days with the coldest summer days on record. Not much publicity about that.
    "it's not a very nice day" isn't exactly much of a headline, much as you would presumably like to attribute it to climate change brainwashing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X