• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will Smith punches Chris Rock"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

By "Sound bite" you mean something simplistically content free but melodious sounding that stops the need for rational thought?
    Yep.

Thank a certain Sir Anthony Charles Lynton Blair for this.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

By "Sound bite" you mean something simplistically content free but melodious sounding that stops the need for rational thought?
    Sadly that is how the yoof and simple minded make decisions.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

In the era of sound bite media it is about the words.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

THe EU wasn't around in the 40s so I doubt they made this claim. I forget the dates from GCSE History - we had to learn the dates the EEC, EC and EU were formed, who the members were, yada yada. Did it have an even earlier iteration? Come on Gibbon, you can post something useful and relevant for once...
    The claim was made relatively recently by remainers when they were awarded the Nobel peace prize. Many people were amused because most of us thought it was Oppenheimer who achieved this.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2...d-peace-europe

A few years ago, the EU was awarded the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize. The Scottish Herald described the award as ‘crass’, one which would inflame ‘tensions when many of the EU’s 500 million citizens have been thrown into penury by the worst recession since the 1930s.’ I remember some thought it was a joke. Lord Lamont was quoted saying the decision was ‘preposterous and absurd.’

But the Nobel committee was serious. It applauded the EU for its contribution over six decades to ‘the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe’ and being instrumental in ‘transforming most of Europe from a continent of war to a continent of peace.’

Now, the Remain campaign point to the attainment of peace in Europe as one if its highest ranking achievements. Whatever else it may have or have not done, the Union has helped avoid war between the current members of the EU since 1945. David Cameron makes that very point today, reminding us that countries previously at ‘each others’ throats’ now lived and worked together for peace. Even Boris Johnson in the Leave camp has been reluctant to contradict the assertion. He says the EU was ‘born of the highest motives – to keep the peace in Europe.’

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

THe EU wasn't around in the 40s so I doubt they made this claim. I forget the dates from GCSE History - we had to learn the dates the EEC, EC and EU were formed, who the members were, yada yada. Did it have an even earlier iteration? Come on Gibbon, you can post something useful and relevant for once...
    Don't try to be too intellectual, it doesn't suit you.

It's the EU that claimed they had stopped all European war since 1945, as part of their rationale for us staying in their club. This was mainly from Germany, Italy and France - hilarious since two were protagonists, and the other a silent non-participant (bar some brave Free French of course). Doubly hilarious since they missed out the Balkan war, which was fairly significant...

As for Boris's comment, I really can't be bothered to argue. It's nothing to do with love (or anything else) for Boris though.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

It's not about the words. He was using a metaphor, not claiming equivalence.
    In the era of sound bite media it is about the words.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well why are we worried about Ukraine? The EU has stopped all wars in Europe since 1945 or was that a lie like the EU Army? Maybe they should paint it on a Catalan riot shield?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

He made a comparison between the two. Sorry, it's "not about the words?!" What is it about, the dream you had explaining what he meant? Even by your standards this is a particularly stupid thing to say. Hilarious that you're accusing others of bias while telling us you know better than he did what he meant.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Did seem rather tactless. Bit like Boris claiming Ukraine fighting for its very survival was something Brits could empathise with because of Brexit.
    Well why are we worried about Ukraine? The EU has stopped all wars in Europe since 1945 or was that a lie like the EU Army? Maybe they should paint it on a Catalan riot shield?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Simile surely as he said

"instinct of the people of this country, like the people of Ukraine, to choose freedom"
    Picky picky, like a picking thing in a pick and mix....

But yes, you are correct.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

Simile surely as he said

"instinct of the people of this country, like the people of Ukraine, to choose freedom"

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I listened to one of the interviews where he first made that claim.

I then went online and replayed it to check that I hadn't misheard.

Just because you don't like certain journalists due to their political stance doesn't mean they don't sometimes report things accurately.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

That' not actually what he said, much less meant. Various heavily biased people have seized on his words out of context to make some pathetic point or other to undermine his position.
    I listened to one of the interviews where he first made that claim.

I then went online and replayed it to check that I hadn't misheard.

Just because you don't like certain journalists due to their political stance doesn't mean they don't sometimes report things accurately.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

That' not actually what he said, much less meant. Various heavily biased people have seized on his words out of context to make some pathetic point or other to undermine his position
    Unless said biased people replaced the video I watched with a deepfake, then yes he did. He compared our respective fights for sovereignty and democracy.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Did seem rather tactless. Bit like Boris claiming Ukraine fighting for its very survival was something Brits could empathise with because of Brexit.
    That' not actually what he said, much less meant. Various heavily biased people have seized on his words out of context to make some pathetic point or other to undermine his position.

A bit like Partygate; mistakes were made and senior management were at fault for allowing things to happen but it doesn't warrant resignation.

A degree of proportionality seems to have gone walkies on modern politics...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X