• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are we turning into a nation of hysterical pearl clutchers?"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

When the sea is very choppy waves from different directions directions will to a degree cancel each other out however, occasionally and randomly waves will synchronise and become one giant wave that can even swallow large ships. The phenomenon is only a recent discovery.
    But without a cross-current, waves will just pass through each other and any "giant waves" that randomly pop up will then vanish again. It's the current that creates rogue waves, by swapping energy from one wave to another.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Rogue wave, formed maybe hundreds or even thousands of miles away.

Waves in an incompressible fluid with no current pass through each other unchanged. But when there is a current in the fluid, the waves can exchange energy, and that means a wave can gain energy from others.

Not sure if that is random, or whether the more energetic a wave becomes the more likely it is to gain energy from others, analogous to how "money makes money" (if sensibly handled).
    When the sea is very choppy waves from different directions directions will to a degree cancel each other out however, occasionally and randomly waves will synchronise and become one giant wave that can even swallow large ships. The phenomenon is only a recent discovery.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Weather can be odd. Decades ago me and the missus were walking on a beach on a fairly calm day when a huge wave came rushing in and almost dragged her away.
    Rogue wave, formed maybe hundreds or even thousands of miles away.

Waves in an incompressible fluid with no current pass through each other unchanged. But when there is a current in the fluid, the waves can exchange energy, and that means a wave can gain energy from others.

Not sure if that is random, or whether the more energetic a wave becomes the more likely it is to gain energy from others, analogous to how "money makes money" (if sensibly handled).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My dad lives in Brighton. Today he said

In 1950, a tornado ripped through his back garden in Bedford and demolished the garden shed.

So yes, bunch of wusses nowadays. I lived through the great storms of 1987 and 1990. In the '87 one I watched the roof get ripped off one of the blocks of student accommodation.
    No we aren't a bunch of wusses we are a bunch of idiots.

Unless you are considered a key worker then the default should be to shelter in place while there was a red alert level in your area. (It was the first red alert in London and the SE)

I was watching the news earlier and there was a student stranded at Waterloo as her lecture hadn't been cancelled in time. She shouldn't have been out in the first place.

Apparently most resilience and planning for extreme weather events had fallen by the wayside thanks to austerity. It's actually luck in Wales they cancelled all trains but they should have done it in other regions as soon as there was a red alert rather than pulling trains into stations when in mid-service.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    My dad lives in Brighton. Today he said

Originally posted by NAT Senior
    Sixty years ago, to the week, when I lived and worked in Sheffield, we had a wind. 130 km/h, sustained, with gusts more than 160 km/h. I guess that is why I regard today's weather interesting rather than alarming.
    In 1950, a tornado ripped through his back garden in Bedford and demolished the garden shed.

So yes, bunch of wusses nowadays. I lived through the great storms of 1987 and 1990. In the '87 one I watched the roof get ripped off one of the blocks of student accommodation.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Fun footage of an entire roof blowing away

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-6...ost_type=share

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Good grief: A wind gust of 122mph at the Needles on the Isle of Wight is provisionally the highest gust ever recorded in England
    You would think that drug addicts would secure their paraphernalia.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Given your guff about climate change I think we all know who the boomer is...

Love that someone who uses the phrase "inure us to the perception of seasonal gales" has the gall to describe anyone as pompous. Come on, troll better. You need to stay in character.

Leave a comment:

• La Petite Valse
    replied

pompous, patronising guff
    Right on, boomer!

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    This weather has clearly been made up by the media to take the spotlight off Boris. Can't believe you're all falling for it!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by La Petite Valse View Post

Do they name them to inure us to the perception of seasonal gales being "extreme" weather events and therefore will associate them with climate change?
    No.

Today's was a strong gale, yes
    We have had the strongest wind ever recorded. So you got that part right.

Seems this is a once in decade (or maybe worse) storm for the places worst hit. Maybe you're too young to remember how the country reacted last time, when you were ta school.

Also, many more people are able to work from home (or learn from home) so it's easier to do so with less of a hit.

Leave a comment:

• La Petite Valse
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    TV reporters on a Cornish beach are barely having their hair ruffled by the wind, and the waves behind them look practically normal!

And when did we in the UK start naming every passing rain cloud? Do we really have to ape the Yanks in everything?

Rant over, but don't get me started again!
    Do they name them to inure us to the perception of seasonal gales being "extreme" weather events and therefore will associate them with climate change?

Today's was a strong gale, yes, but all public services in the county have shut down for the day; buses, waste collections, schools and consequently lots of people have had to stay home to take care of their kids resulting to many other businesses closing or being short staffed.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Good grief: A wind gust of 122mph at the Needles on the Isle of Wight is provisionally the highest gust ever recorded in England

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Now the Dome is falling apart. Although I never knew it was just a tent.

https://twitter.com/BJFHubbard/statu...50273549201408

(I assume I can't embed a tweet, but there's a video)
    To be fair the Dome and the Wheel have both lasted longer than expected.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Now the Dome is falling apart. Although I never knew it was just a tent.

https://twitter.com/BJFHubbard/statu...50273549201408

(I assume I can't embed a tweet, but there's a video)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X