• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "That's my cosmetic surgery off the table then"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Thing is hymens don't work like that.

So it seems both bride and groom need to have some biology lessons.
    or meet a few more female horse riders!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I actually knew/know a couple of males who have had circumcision on medical grounds.

There is absolutely no medical reason for female circumcision, which is a completely different procedure from male circumcision, or hymen repair surgery.
    I totally agree there is no reason to ban operations that are medically required that is obvious. Whattaboutery again!

Cutting a little baby boy's foreskin off frequently without anaesthetic (overseas) because you believe in a particular sky faerie is not acceptable. I would like that practice banned.

Whilst nowhere near as bad as FGM, it is still unnecessary mutilation of children and needs attention.
    If Dh000gy wants to do it to himself as an adult go for it! Happy to hold him down!

FGM never acceptable.

HRS - I am yet to be convinced this has medical value so I'm glad its banned. Coercion is almost certainly happening.

We need to educate the cultures affected that these cultural abuses won't be permitted in our society. Directly or indirectly (abroad).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
    I read about this virginity repair surgery many years ago in the papers : Ironically, it was muslim girls who lost their virginity and then just before their wedding, they had this surgery to undo their actions and trick the bridegroom into thinking that they were still virgins.
    Thing is hymens don't work like that.

So it seems both bride and groom need to have some biology lessons.

Leave a comment:

• Destiny2
    replied
    I read about this virginity repair surgery many years ago in the papers : Ironically, it was muslim girls who lost their virginity and then just before their wedding, they had this surgery to undo their actions and trick the bridegroom into thinking that they were still virgins.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Three specific questions:
    1)do you think male circumcision should be illegal to consenting adults?
    2)Do you think "hymen repair surgery" should be illegal to consenting adults?
    3)Do you think female circumcision (FGM) should be illegal to consenting adults?

(with no implication that your answers carry over to kids or non-consensual stuff, to be clear)
    I actually knew/know a couple of males who have had circumcision on medical grounds.

There is absolutely no medical reason for female circumcision, which is a completely different procedure from male circumcision, or hymen repair surgery.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So because some adults might be coerced, it should be illegal for everyone? Banning things is a slippery slope even when we wholeheartedly agree the thing is a bad idea. I'm sure I've read about HRS being done purely as a cosmetic thing before - I think that's stupid but if we ban everything I think is stupid we'd never be done.
    Banning unnecessary procedures done for purely cultural reasons is totally reasonable. Restricting for only medical reasons is hardly burning books.

HRS is used to make a woman conform to a backward culture, we need to tackle the culture not pander to it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So because some adults might be coerced, it should be illegal for everyone? Banning things is a slippery slope even when we wholeheartedly agree the thing is a bad idea. I'm sure I've read about HRS being done purely as a cosmetic thing before - I think that's stupid but if we ban everything I think is stupid we'd never be done.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    3)Do you think female circumcision (FGM) should be illegal to consenting adults?

(with no implication that your answers carry over to kids or non-consensual stuff, to be clear)
    Consenting adults is a challenge. Where consent is coerced as in the hymen repair story then a reasonable argument is it should be illegal.

Go ahead tattoo yourself, chop your foreskin off etc.

Of course should such things be illegal as fixing them has significant costs for the NHS?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Not something I suggested, I don't recommend it

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Do you think I as an adult man should be legally forbidden from getting circumcised if I wanted it?
    Not something I suggested, I don't recommend it as its supposed to be quite painful when older, but I do think we should not permit people to do it to under 18s as they cannot give consent that is many religions & cultures we will offend!

Doing it without anaesthetic on young boys is probably something we should worry about as well.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Do you think I as an adult man should be legally forbidden from getting circumcised if I wanted it?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    FGM is a different thing if you want to get technical. Very grim.
    Yes that was clearly covered in my post. Sadly it comes from the same retarded attitudes mostly in the same cultures which was my point.

The women are considered property (chattels) to subdue to men, sadly much of this is driven by women relatives as tradition.

We need to re-educate the cultures to prevent it. That means aggressive prosecution of those that permit it. Jailing the parents of abused children would be a good start.

We can ban the surgery here (thankfully we have for FGM) but many young girls go to Africa / India etc for FGM parties I suspect similar will happen Hymen faking.

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-is-chi...utilation-fgm/

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    FGM is a different thing if you want to get technical. Very grim.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Yep Female Genital Mutilation is big in some cultures it seems to follow those cultures want their chattels to have a hymen.

Sooner we ban it & prosecute those responsible the better. In FMG they are little Girls and their parents should be prosecuted for permitting it, as they become women we should protect them from culture pressure of this manner.

I wish they would stop using the word HONOUR to describe this type of abuse may I suggest "Backward f*ckwittery by complete Neanderthal scumbags" instead.

Oh by the way circumcision is quite common in many cultures and if you have ever met any African princes they frequently have large cuts on their cheeks from their coming of age ceremony. Circumcision of teenagers without anaesthetic is common as well.
    Last edited by vetran; 25 January 2022, 16:22.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic That's my cosmetic surgery off the table then

That's my cosmetic surgery off the table then

Hymen repair surgery and virginity testing to be banned in UK

The reason behind it is actually quite grisly and sad. But on a lighter note, good news for AtW that there's no virginity test for men.

Working...
X