• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "XR blocking M25 Again"

Collapse

• saptastic
    replied
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/22/insul...bate-15297177/

Car crash interview which is ironic.

First question to Liam Norton - head of insulate Britain or whatever they are called

Q:"Do you have insulation in your own house?"

A: "That's not the point"

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    While Priti Patel is trying to stop people having the right to protest it is a human right in the UK.
    No she isn't. Recent law changes (I thought they had already passed?) regard violent/offensive protest. The more intellectual protestors (or their leaders more commonly) are concerned - with some merit - that this gives police blanket powers to decide what is offensive, their followers just get told "she wants to ban protest because she's a Tory".

As an example I know someone who works for an anti-abortion charity, they take to the streets with quite graphic messages and literature. I imagine most here would disagree with their views and (like me) consider their approach rather unpleasant. However I imagine objectively, most people would agree they are legally allowed to... but new laws raise concerns Pc Plod can just shut down anyone they find distasteful. Which is potentially a slippery slope.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Protesting isn't breaking the law.

While Priti Patel is trying to stop people having the right to protest it is a human right in the UK.
    Correct and good luck to people protesting 100%. Do it in parliament square not on a motorway. Post on your instagram etc
    It is against the law to block a public highway or similar cant remember the exact wording.
    They want publicity. 30 people chanting in parliament square wont get coverage. So they want coverage at the expense of others. Selfish.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Unfortunately it is tolerated so it has happenned again today. Lack of action means either the same people return or others think they can get away with it.
    Whether I or anyone agrees with the cause or not - they are not judge and jury on what is legally allowed and should not be detrimental to the lives of others. Until punishments are more severe this country will continue to tolerate lawbreakers.
    Protesting isn't breaking the law.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Unfortunately it is tolerated so it has happenned again today. Lack of action means either the same people return or others think they can get away with it.
    Whether I or anyone agrees with the cause or not - they are not judge and jury on what is legally allowed and should not be detrimental to the lives of others. Until punishments are more severe this country will continue to tolerate lawbreakers.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    All this will be tolerated by the police until it inconveniences one of the top police bosses on their way to the golf club, then massive clampdown.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Well good job my driving anxiety is now so bad I've not been on the M25 for two years. Long may they slow the traffic down!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

On another thread, they are referred to as "eco numpties" and are the reason why supermarket shelves have had less stock than usual for the last few months.
    Thanks for misquoting me on the supermarket shelves bit - I was being slightly ironic, in that repeatedly blocking the busiest motorway in the south east is hardly going to help the supply chain. As for referring to them as numpties, I was being generous. They are protesting in the wrong country. The UK has 2 coal power stations (both due to close in the next 2 years), Germany* has over 80, producing a quarter of its total electricity generation. China builds more than 80 every year. Although the German police have water cannon and aren't shy to use them, and if they went to China they'd be shot, so I can see why they've taken to protesting here. I see they tried it on again today, but it looks like the police have grown a pair and started removing them immediately, rather than racking up some overtime watching them to make sure they weren't beaten up by angry motorists.

*Germany being by far the most polluting country per capita in Europe, according to the IPCC.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    It's not XR - jus' saying.
    On another thread, they are referred to as "eco numpties" and are the reason why supermarket shelves have had less stock than usual for the last few months.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I'm really looking forward to retirement so I can join one of these groups. Meet like minded people and make a lot of friends whilst saving the planet from imminent destruction.
    And enjoy the warm glow of smug self-righteousness - or is it the adult nappy needing changing?

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    It's not XR - jus' saying.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

If that had happened on my way to get a transplant (or any one of my loved ones, or serious A&E) I wouldn't have even slowed down. I'd take the manslaughter happily.
    Would you mow down pedestrians generally or just protestors? Would pedestrian crossings be safe?
    You wouldn't make it to the hospital, you would be taken down by armed police. Assuming that you didn't crash like the idiot you are... a human adult would damage your car quite severely.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

you can't run a muck-spreader on the motorway you ****. Stop jacking off thinking about the idea of beating up a load of protestors when in reality you wouldn't dare even get out of your car to shout at them, you lame internet warrior.
    If that had happened on my way to get a transplant (or any one of my loved ones, or serious A&E) I wouldn't have even slowed down. I'd take the manslaughter happily.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I'm really looking forward to retirement so I can join one of these groups. Meet like minded people and make a lot of friends whilst saving the planet from imminent destruction.
    By then the police will have started attacking white middle class men.

Correction - white middle class cis-male
    Last edited by SueEllen; 15 September 2021, 11:38.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X