• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Afghanistan

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Afghanistan"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I think passive IR night vision gear needs regular liquid nitrogen refills, presumably in special modules.
    I don't think so (for goggles), we are not talking about Javelin missiles here that do indeed require cooling down of IR matrix before firing it.

That kit that was left was certainly lower grade than in current elite units use, but having mass night vision capability is going to be a big problem regardless, plus there will be plenty of night vision scopes left behind also.

Radios left behind are also probably not particularly good - unlikely US would have trusted proper NATO kit with frequency hopping and good encryption since Taleban lacked kit to do heavy interception anyway.
    Last edited by AtW; 1 September 2021, 15:19.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Won’t be a problem to maintain 16k night vision goggles (batteries not included, but oh well).

That alone will change calculus for night SoF operations
    I think passive IR night vision gear needs regular liquid nitrogen refills, presumably in special modules.

And they'd have to be bonkers to risk using illuminated IR, as anyone else using night vision would be able to pinpoint them as surely as if they were waving a torch around shouting "Yoo hoo - Here I am!"

Western radios (lots of them) also likely to be far better than what Taliban used
    Wouldn't military radios these days rely on time-limited encryption modules and keys? Maybe not British radios, as we're probably still using valve models from the Boer war, but the Yanks would have the latest kit.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Won’t be a problem to maintain 16k night vision goggles (batteries not included, but oh well).

That alone will change calculus for night SoF operations - they will become a lot more dangerous, especially without good air-support.

Taliban might also switch to Western rifles - more accurate than old AKs

Western radios (lots of them) also likely to be far better than what Taliban used

Taliban now needs modern anti-aircraft weapons to stop any violations of their airspace - Iran (and likely Russia) will gladly assist

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Army equipment is designed to be rugged and easy to maintain, and presumably the US also left loads of manuals and things behind.
    They just need to Google "Embraer EMB 314/A29 Super Tucano User Manual". They might get a few sponsored sites that try to charge them a few quid for the manual, but scrolling down will get them to the sits with the free downloads.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Army equipment is designed to be rugged and easy to maintain, and presumably the US also left loads of manuals and things behind.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

most of them are made in China, and China's very cozy with the Taliban. I think they'll manage
    And samples of the few not made in China will soon be in Chinese labs, being analyzed for weak points or good ideas to pinch!

Leave a comment:

• lorakeen
    replied

Personnel qualified to maintain all that hardware:
    most of them are made in China, and China's very cozy with the Taliban. I think they'll manage

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    Courtesy of USA
    Click image for larger version

Name:	arsenal.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	4180232

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Courtesy of USA

Name:	arsenal.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	4180232

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why would not they release names of those "senior operatives", as they are supposedly dead now anyway? It's not like it's now secret that they were known to US

Only sensible explanation is that they are not senior, maybe not even operatives.

Oh God I hope I can afford my tin foil hat1
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Why would not they release names of those "senior operatives", as they are supposedly dead now anyway? It's not like it's now secret that they were known to US

Only sensible explanation is that they are not senior, maybe not even operatives.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    as predicted.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-tuk-tuk.html

'Vaporised' on a tuk-tuk: Two ISIS-K Kabul bomb plotters were killed by US drone strike while riding on the back of a three-wheeled motorbike in northern Afghanistan
    • Two senior ISIS-K operatives who plotted the Kabul airport carnage were killed in an American drone strike
    • Pair were riding a tuk-tuk and died immediately and an associate was injured
    • Defence chiefs at Pentagon refused to release the names of the dead terrorists

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Turns out one of Pen Farthing's stray animals was on a watch list!

Name:	21414c90-8f1a-445b-989f-74a955755b28-298a2eaa-5063-4cf6-97e6-a80ffe75c893.png
Views:	139
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	4180170

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Sudden withdrawal is a check on Biden’s mental abilities

Leave a comment:

Working...
X