• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Monday Links from the Lockdown vol. DCV"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    I don't know anyone "traumatised" by those Public Information Films. They were ace. I remember them being shown at school too, usually on those days near the end of term when the teachers had largely given up but it wasn't quite close enough to term end to justify something 'fun'.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I had my eldest (10) watch some of the PIF from 70's and 80s, especially poor "JIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!" getting fried trying to reach his frisbee from a sub station.

He took off out the room!

They need to bring these back. I mean kids need to be told never to try and use wires instead of a plug for an electric metal grinder!

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 2 August 2021, 15:28.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Salty dome, dude, who'd have thunk it?

Gosh, a Larry Niven reference. Where's my transfer booths, dude?

Dying of vCJD at 33 seems rather less than fun.

Never try to dock with something called DOS-1.

Wait for the 1.01 version.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 August 2021, 15:01.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    started a topic Monday Links from the Lockdown vol. DCV

Monday Links from the Lockdown vol. DCV

Now that unpleasant hot weather is over, you can resist peer pressure to go outside and stay online all day instead
    • Fight for the right to party - ”For a brief moment, at vast and lawless raves such as Castlemorton, a generation glimpsed an alternative way of life. Speaking to survivors of the early 90s free party scene, Tim Guest tells the story of how the state crushed the dream.” Hard to believe this was thirty years ago
    • Fractons, the Weirdest Matter, Could Yield Quantum Clues - ”The theoretical possibility of fractons surprised physicists in 2011. Recently, these strange states of matter have been leading physicists toward new theoretical frameworks that could help them tackle some of the grittiest problems in fundamental physics.” In other words, more stuff that's almost impossible to comprehend
    • France issues moratorium on prion research after fatal brain disease strikes two lab workers - ”Five public research institutions in France have imposed a 3-month moratorium on the study of prions—a class of misfolding, infectious proteins that cause fatal brain diseases—after a retired lab worker who handled prions in the past was diagnosed with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), the most common prion disease in humans.”
    • Jane Goodall reveals what studying chimpanzees teaches us about human nature - Interview with the renowned primatologist: ”What you have to realize is that when I went to Gombe, I hadn’t been to college. I had absolutely no idea that scientists have this reductionist feeling about animals. So I went knowing that of course the chimpanzees, our closest living relatives, would have emotions, would have personalities, and would be highly intelligent.”
    • Be afraid! Top 12 terrors of childhood, according to 1970’s Public Information Films. - ”Nowadays, we worry about what our kids watch on TV. However, nothing could be as terrifying as the Public Information Films we were exposed to during the 1970’s and 1980’s. These shocking films, commissioned by the government and shown during commercial breaks traumatised kids across the UK with their warnings about the dangers of matches, escalators, chip pans and rugs.” Not to mention tables

• The USSR launches first space station crew - ”Four days after the Salyut space station entered orbit on April 19, 1971, the first crew was also on its way. After one aborted launch attempt, the Soyuz-10 transport ship lifted off with three cosmonauts in early hours of April 23, 1971, and reached the station the following day, but then ran into a string of potentially dangerous problems just inches away from its destination.” Interesting technical details of how the mission came to be aborted.
    • A Key Property of Life Has Been Detected From High Altitude For The First Time - ”Scientists have detected molecular homochirality from a helicopter flying at a velocity of 70 kilometers per hour (43.5 mph) at an altitude of 2 kilometers (1.2 miles). Why would they do such a thing, you ask? To see if we can detect molecular homochirality on other planets, in the search for extraterrestrial life.”
    • The Beatles in Spatial Audio: Producer Giles Martin on How It All Works - Interesting details of working on the Beatles' remixes: ”With Beatles mixes, because we have, I suppose, the money to do it, and the luxury of time, what I and [engineer] Sam Okell tend to do, opposed to using digital effects, is we’ll place speakers back in Studio Two [the Abbey Road space where the Beatles originally recorded]. And we’ll re-record John’s voice in Studio Two, so what you’re hearing are the reflections of the room he’s singing in. It brings the vocal closer to you.”
    • Designing 2D graphics in the Japanese industry - The good old days: ”Computers from the old days were designed in such a way that they were de facto intended for people who were knowledgeable about programming and mathematics… The people in charge of graphic design in those days needed 3 things: grid paper, a computer with a keyboard and basic knowledge of hexadecimal.”
    • Salt Domes And Salt Glaciers of Iran - Remarkable landscapes: ”Million of years ago, the Persian Gulf was a much larger body of water than it is today, inundating large sections of the Arabian peninsula in the south and Iran in the west. As the water evaporated and the shores of the sea retreated, it left behind vast quantities of salt… Salt starts to behave like fluid leading to an interesting behavior known as salt tectonics. The weight of thousands of feet of sediments and rocks pushing down on the salt layer causes salt to rise up through the overlying rocks. When a weak spot is found in the overlying layer of sediment, the salt will push through it and form domes known as diapir.”

Happy invoicing!

Working...
X