• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't Save The Date..."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    It's not on the rise, we just have higher expectations. Our view of how well people should be educated has risen faster than the education
    People have always been grossly uneducated about science, but most of the time you never realise as it doesn't come up unless you're chatting with strangers in the pub, how regular folk think. Covid means they are more vocal.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Well of course that's generally what they do. Wait a day or a week or tweak the wording so they can make a point about how they're independent, then do what we do
    What of all the times England delayed and then copied Scotland?

The truth is that Scotland is quite a different country to England and has different demographics, which can be easily seen by looking at the Highlands and Islands council boundary and population density there. 11 morons turned up to protest outside the Scottish Government building last week.

Have a look outside number 10 Downing Street now. The BBC reported there being hundreds of folk protesting. The one thing that all countries in the world have in common now is that the number of idiots who can't even grasp basic science is on the rise.

Looking at you 'reddog' and the rest.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And Scotland follows England -

Well of course that's generally what they do. Wait a day or a week or tweak the wording so they can make a point about how they're independent, then do what we do

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And Scotland follows England -

Sturgeon says Scotland likely to have three-week delay in easing Covid restrictions

Sturgeon says, when the next three-week review of restrictions is announced next week, she is likely to announcing a pause in the lifting of restrictions.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Isn't it about time you changed your username to Squirrel Pervert or Putin's pushover...?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    They are just delaying the inevitable lockdown until after England crashes out.

You've heard it on here first...
    Isn't it about time you changed your username to UkraineFan...?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They are just delaying the inevitable lockdown until after England crashes out.

You've heard it on here first...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    4 weeks allows time to gather more data and also will move the window of who has been fully vaccinated, since Delta really seems to require this to be effective.
    At this point, most of us can do most of the things we want, albeit with some faff. 4 more weeks after so long, seems worth it.

Although, since cases are rising even before Phase 4, delaying 4 weeks is not going to quash a 3rd wave. If there are problems, we can expect things to get stricter again.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

Actually lots. But I still think it's time to relax the rules. If not now, when? All the vulnerable who want it have been jabbed. It's not about the Government doing the right thing, it's about the Government not being seen to do the wrong thing. Hopeless way to run a country.
    It's difficult to know what to define the word "vulnerable". I can understand the caution being raised. Some say it's changing the goalposts, but we didn't know the effects of covid19 until the last 8 months. It was binary early last year: die or survive. The number of people I work with who aren't feeling back to normal after having covid and the list of complications are indeed worrying.

What I mean by worrying is: If we assume new variants appear regularly in the UK, potentially even more contagious and with better efficacy at causing such long term effects, will the economy be worse hit longer term than if we limit certain industries now?

For example: I can live without nightclubs and I understand the need to somehow limit social contact in establishments. Spending hours with your friends in a garden and having a good time limits the spread to those contacts at that time. In a pub you are with many strangers from all walks of life and unfortunately that rapidly accelerates a wide spread of covid19.

If people have longcovid and are unable to work to their normal level then it is possible we could have a substantial percentage of the population who don't participate in normal work or society for a substantial amount of time. We've protected the elderly from death with huge social sacrifice and mental health issues emerging for many. Is the next stage of empathy to try protect the vulnerable to longcovid? It seems to be people aged 22 to 44 that are most affected by post-covid symptoms, which includes intolerance to exercise, even walking being difficult and massively increased negative effects on mental health, with over a third of people who have had non-asymptomatic covid going on to interaction with their doctor about mental health issues within a few months.

It's a crazy virus and I think some slight caution for a few months or even a year - while not stopping you seeing your friends, family, loved ones and even co-workers - seems a very tame requirement until more is known about 'long covid'. I have friends who had covid at home last year, hard workers and good guys. A few of them can't exercise properly now and it's as if they are 80 years old, yet they are early forties. These are formerly fit guys. We shouldn't lock everybody up because of this but similarly if we allow people to create variants and spread them there won't be any holidays abroad for a while to come yet, because other countries will be worrying if any of these variants bypass existing vaccines.

In a few months every adult across Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England who hasn't refused the vaccine will be vaccinated with two doses. Then open stuff up and expect a steady stream of previous vaccine refusers to also get vaccinated.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    Actually lots. But I still think it's time to relax the rules.
    We've currently got exponential growth, so I think the gov want to make sure they don't accelerate it even more. Plus another four weeks should give them a better feel for the interaction between cases and hospital admissions / death.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    All the vulnerable who want it have been jabbed.
    They haven't which is why local health authorities and doctors are chasing people including to have their second jab.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post

I see your point.

How many people do you know that have had covid ?
    Actually lots. But I still think it's time to relax the rules. If not now, when? All the vulnerable who want it have been jabbed. It's not about the Government doing the right thing, it's about the Government not being seen to do the wrong thing. Hopeless way to run a country.

Leave a comment:

• Scorp1
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They never promised certain dates.

The dates were always the "earliest" and they had 4 indicators that fed into the dates going ahead.

​​​​​​
    I see your point.

How many people do you know that have had covid ?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post

I don't know, but what is noticeable is the pattern on how they seem to be promising certain dates then moving the goal posts , which they have done yet again .
    They never promised certain dates.

The dates were always the "earliest" and they had 4 indicators that fed into the dates going ahead.

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Looks like the government are aiming for zero covid, which is impossible.

I once again ask, what is their definition of done?

I may have to write to my MP and see if she continues to ignore me.
    No the government's aim is to avoid news pictures like hospitals in Italy and India ( plus care homes in Spain).

As staff are pissed off and many want to quit or are quitting if there is any hint of hospitals being overwhelmed the pictures will emerge, regardless if the government decrees another news blackout.

It also means the government can argue that they were right to delay their public enquiry while destroying records if the records existed in the first place....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X