• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "OK who was this part 3"

Collapse

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Eighteen months ago I got a loose strap caught in my front wheel and went over the handlebars into the pavement at 25mph. Spent a week in hospital with a bleed on the brain. Not the funniest. The week before I'd ummed and ahhed about buying an expensive cycle helmet which although it was cracked right through, saved my life.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

That raises the obvious question of why anyone would be stupid enough to have disk brakes on the front wheel
    Disc brakes front and back is perfectly safe, many would argue safer as disc brakes work in all weather's but rim brakes are worse in the wet. As with all tools, it's how they are use - slam the front on and you'll go over the bars, but then that might be preamble to hitting a tree or car

I have disc brakes on my main bike, rim on my other 2 .... for me it's disc every time.

Also worth pointing out that bike frames are made for either disc or rim, not both, so not easy to have a mix of wheels without fettling.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Similar happened to a friend of mine, he lost an eye. The actual cause is disc brakes on a bicycle. If you brake hard on the front wheel; over you go.
    It is safer to have disc brakes on the rear and rim brakes on the front.
    That raises the obvious question of why anyone would be stupid enough to have disk brakes on the front wheel

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Nah you can get attacked by foxes, squirrels or rats for food.

Or get mugged by someone on an e-scooter for your mobile.
    For the later I usually run around an artificial lake, ex docks, so quite deep.
    There is a portion that is one way and I think as well that poses that exact risk.

The joke that I make with my friend about it is that, if I were to be mugged, the person attempting it, statistically is very likely to not know how to swim, so I will jump in the lake.

Not very politically correct, I know but statistically accurate.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Or trip over your shoelaces and end up in the river
    with weather like this I am not sure I would mind.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Or trip over your shoelaces and end up in the river

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    sometimes I am glad to be too lazy to do any regular sports...

I run sometimes, the worst that could happen to you is to slip on dog poo or get stabbed because London.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's not Whorty, unless he's grown hair and dyed it recently
    When I lived in Beckenham and commuted to Hammersmith I used to take a short cut through Battersea Park - squirrels in there are blinkin suicidal ..... they'd just stay in front of you and spin around like a whirling dervish before shooting off in one direction at the last moment. Had a few close calls, but thankfully never hit one.

I also rarely travel at 35 mph .... 50 kph (30 mph) is where I'm comfy, any faster and cars become an issue as I'm going as fast/faster than them!

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    sometimes I am glad to be too lazy to do any regular sports...

I run sometimes, the worst that could happen to you is to slip on dog poo or get stabbed because London.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Daily Mail

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's not Whorty, unless he's grown hair and dyed it recently

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Similar happened to a friend of mine, he lost an eye. The actual cause is disc brakes on a bicycle. If you brake hard on the front wheel; over you go.
    oh didn't know that.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    started a topic OK who was this part 3

OK who was this part 3

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...REL-35MPH.html

Cyclist, 58, is thrown over his handlebars and left with a fractured cheek and memory loss after hitting a SQUIRREL at 35MPH (and it's not a happy ending for the rodent either)
    • Tim Egerton, 58, hit the squirrel whilst cycling in Oakworth, West Yorkshire
    • He was rushed to hospital where a titanium plate was placed in his broken cheek
    • The cycling enthusiast was travelling 30 to 35mph on impact, killing the squirrel
    Welcome to the Squirrel Elimination front!

or is this Nuttina after date night?

Working...
X