• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you're coming down to Cornwall this summer..."

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

More of a stockman's holiday, ask PC for details!
    I asked PC how many sexual partners he'd had. He started counting and fell asleep.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Busman's holiday?
    More of a stockman's holiday, ask PC for details!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

You know how to get a man excited!
    Busman's holiday?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Yes, have a greaat holiday, and stay away from North Devon. There's nothing to see here anyway, apart from a few sheep!
    You know how to get a man excited!
    Last edited by vetran; 24 May 2021, 21:20.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    ...be prepared for hell.

... And as for the A30 on Fridays and Saturdays. Think car park.

Have a great holiday!
    Yes, have a greaat holiday, and stay away from North Devon. There's nothing to see here anyway, apart from a few sheep!

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I had never realised previously that you could register your property for BR rather than council tax. Curious.
    From the link I posted earlier:

Since 2012, second homers and holiday lets, who had mostly been paying Council Tax before, took advantage of a change in the law designed to scrap business rates altogether for any small business. They started to register as a business instead, and in turn for the new small business rates relief, meaning they wouldn’t have to pay anything at all.

In 2020, of the 23,000 odd properties registered in Cornwall as a second home or holiday let, 10,500 are now claiming the Small Business Rates Relief.

So when the Chancellor gave out generous grants to help small businesses to survive over the pandemic, the 10,500 second homes/holiday lets got grants too, along with everybody else on the Business Rates list.

In order to qualify to switch a second home from Council Tax to Business Rate liability and then take advantage of the entitlement to full rate relief the owner must make their home available for holiday letting for at least 140 days (20 weeks) a year. They don’t have to actually let the property for that time. Just make it available for letting. They can still use the home as a second home for the rest of the tiSince 2012, second homers and holiday lets, who had mostly been paying Council Tax before, took advantage of a change in the law designed to scrap business rates altogether for any small business. They started to register as a business instead, and in turn for the new small business rates relief, meaning they wouldn’t have to pay anything at all.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    In terms of the Covid payments, they should present three years of letting accounts - average initial profit (basic revenue minus costs) should be the size of the grant.

If someone pays back an amount (say £8k out of the £18k) that demonstrates the above, it'll put pressure on the rest far more than paying it all back.
    I had never realised previously that you could register your property for BR rather than council tax. Curious.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

All inclusive?
    you only have to have sex with the landlord apparently.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    In terms of the Covid payments, they should present three years of letting accounts - average initial profit (basic revenue minus costs) should be the size of the grant.

If someone pays back an amount (say £8k out of the £18k) that demonstrates the above, it'll put pressure on the rest far more than paying it all back.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

There have also been cases where holiday cottages have cancelled bookings and then re-advertised the weeks at much higher prices. I also heard of someone turning up at a cottage, where they'd already paid in full, and the owner demanding more money before they'd hand over the keys.

What's even more galling to locals, is that £133m of Cornwall's Covid Aid has been claimed by these 2nd home owners. (£18,000 per property)

https://cornishstuff.com/2021/02/26/...ornish-holiday
    They'll have to be careful doing that. Remember the fuel crisis and the price-jacking? Locals did and one petrol station near us shut down not long after jacking prices up.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Yes. I've been reading about hotels and guest houses that are taking zero-deposit bookings. Absolutely crazy. At least take £50 to cover your admin efforts.
    There have also been cases where holiday cottages have cancelled bookings and then re-advertised the weeks at much higher prices. I also heard of someone turning up at a cottage, where they'd already paid in full, and the owner demanding more money before they'd hand over the keys.

What's even more galling to locals, is that £133m of Cornwall's Covid Aid has been claimed by these 2nd home owners. (£18,000 per property)

https://cornishstuff.com/2021/02/26/...ornish-holiday

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Sounds like St. Ives every summer I'd forgotten how bad that was until we took a friend a few years back... it's like Piccadilly Circus with seagulls!
    not anymore since they have the OLEZ. Piccadilly Circus is now cleaner and quieter

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    ...be prepared for hell.

Pretty much anything, which is even vaguely habitable, is booked solid until the end of October.

If you haven't booked already, forget it. Although I did hear about a static caravan that still has some availability. Just £6000 for a week. I kid you not.

Expect massive price gouging, pubs and restaurants rammed, and queues for everything.

And as for the A30 on Fridays and Saturdays. Think car park.

Have a great holiday!
    Sounds like St. Ives every summer I'd forgotten how bad that was until we took a friend a few years back... it's like Piccadilly Circus with seagulls!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Wrong - expect mass cancellations (without refunds?) due to new lockdown in Aug-Sep timeframe.
    Yes. I've been reading about hotels and guest houses that are taking zero-deposit bookings. Absolutely crazy. At least take £50 to cover your admin efforts.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    No, the spiders cost extra.
    An arm and 8 legs...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X