• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nothing here about the British sending warships to the former French channel islands?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Now that’s a rather stupid rebuttal of a simple statement*. The Conquest altered the course of the English nation. Lizzie still has the title Duke of Normandy.

*My point wasn’t about self-determination. I pinched that comment from a Jersey person who pointed that out when I went on holiday there.
    Sorry if you jest but you may have noticed I am firmly in the self determination camp. If you feel that is stupid then fine. I believe anyone who depends on centuries old history to decide "who owns" a country is not fully armed as all of them have been stolen over and over.

All of the changes altered the course of the nation, we could be talking Norse, Italian, Spanish or French now and Larry Grayson could have the title of Grand Inquisitor.

By the way my joke about Calais was a nod to the ownership going back & forth.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Or you could say it was stolen from the migrating Africans via Spain. Who arrived 950,000 years ago.

Or the Angles that give England its name.

Or the Romans?

Maybe the Dinosaurs have a claim?

Key thing is what do the current population want to be (in my opinion).

The Falklands want to be British as do those on Jersey.

All this pouting about the Malvinas is like the UK suggesting we recapture India.
    Now that’s a rather stupid rebuttal of a simple statement*. The Conquest altered the course of the English nation. Lizzie still has the title Duke of Normandy.

*My point wasn’t about self-determination. I pinched that comment from a Jersey person who pointed that out when I went on holiday there.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I beg to differ
    darn almost funny, keep trying!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

I think ......
    I beg to differ

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Maybe the EU could bribe every Channel Islander into voting to join France and the EU?
    I think the EU will be short of cash for a while!

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Helps if they had been part of the EU in the first place......
    If they rejoin France, they automatically become part of the EU.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Maybe the EU could bribe every Channel Islander into voting to join France and the EU?
    Helps if they had been part of the EU in the first place......

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You could even say that since William of Normandy conquered England and Wales (although that bit is contested by the Welsh), that England belongs to Jersey, not the other way around...
    Or you could say it was stolen from the migrating Africans via Spain. Who arrived 950,000 years ago.

Or the Angles that give England its name.

Or the Romans?

Maybe the Dinosaurs have a claim?

Key thing is what do the current population want to be (in my opinion).

The Falklands want to be British as do those on Jersey.

All this pouting about the Malvinas is like the UK suggesting we recapture India.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

You could even say that since William of Normandy conquered England and Wales (although that bit is contested by the Welsh), that England belongs to Jersey, not the other way around...
    Don't up set them by being logical.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

How is the potato peeling going Spuddy?
    Well we could just ignore the ethnic cleansing!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    It's been a while now. Have the French surrendered yet?

of course they have!

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

How is the potato peeling going Spuddy?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...therlands.html

Anyone see a flaw in this plan to solve the stand-off?
    Yes, you (one) couldn't make it up!

Mind you, the UK government probably figure the heat will be off once the French elections are over and Macron, the pint-sized posturing little Napoleon, can stand down.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X