• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coproration Tax To Rise to 25%"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Come to think of it - Tory Scum robbed Pension Funds with that corp tax increase, very nice in the environment of fook all interest needed to pay pensioners.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    But cash reserves were never disallowed - unless I'm misunderstanding.
    I believe any (serious) cash left in the company has to be treated as dividend-able tax wise rather than capital gains (ER) - certainly on a sale of the company, maybe they still allowed that for liquidation.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    AFAIK few years ago HMRC disallowed cash reserves being claimed as ER, and now ER is lower and might be nuked completely this autumn. The deal is getting worse all the time...
    It is getting worse for sure.

But cash reserves were never disallowed - unless I'm misunderstanding. It was often discussed, especially around the 2016 budget when the 2 year anti-phoenix rule was brought in. But it wasn't acted on any further than to stop people repeating the liquidation/ER procedure every few years.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Great Parks View Post

Hardly. How many of those you've listed are going to be incorporated?
    Loads of them. If you have employees, you virtually have to be.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    AFAIK few years ago HMRC disallowed cash reserves being claimed as ER, and now ER is lower and might be nuked completely this autumn. The deal is getting worse all the time...

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Why are contractors not doing this already? Money left in the company bank account is earning diddly squat interest, much better to put it into a pension - you will get a better return, and you save corp tax.
    I never put money into a pension during my contracting years. I just didn't want to have to wait 20 years to get my hands on the funds, because I prefer to have control over it myself and invest it sooner. In my mind it was better to wait until my retirement from contracting and then liquidate and claim ER. Then I would have the funds earlier and could invest them wherever and whenever I wanted.

Fortunately "Moneyboxing", though on HMRC's radar, was never outlawed or taxed out of existence.

However, I do think it's generally a good idea to make use of pension allowances and in hindsight it would have been good for me to chuck in £40k a year into a pension. Would have made a nice side investment with another income stream.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    if you want to pay less tax
    work only 8-9 months a year

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    I predict some large pension payments will be made from 2023 onwards to offset profits to keep the corp tax liability to the minimum.
    Why are contractors not doing this already? Money left in the company bank account is earning diddly squat interest, much better to put it into a pension - you will get a better return, and you save corp tax.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I predict some large pension payments will be made from 2023 onwards
    Not after that Autumn's Budget of DOOM...

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Well, in this case this is profits, which would be after PAYE costs and pension, but yes you could be right on the what people perceive as being well off.

I predict some large pension payments will be made from 2023 onwards to offset profits to keep the corp tax liability to the minimum.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    somebody somewhere in the civil service has a 50K magic number somewhere?
    Most likely a focus group confirmed amount that most people think is the "rich mark", plus 40% tax kicks in there, HMG does not want to help people who can afford to pay so much tax in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    When the Govt announced self employed Coronavirus support it was restricted to profits of upto £50K per annum. Strange the number is the same even though the business model is different, self employed don't pay Corp Tax... somebody somewhere in the civil service has a 50K magic number somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

My local hairdresser salon owner is incorporated. The stylists themselves may not be - not sure if they're working on a 'rent a chair' basis or employed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

There are people in entertainment who work behind the scenes in lighting, camera operation, sound, costumes, etc who are incorporated. They easily make under 50K.

There are also tradesmen who are incorporated. Some of them will make under 50K profit.

Leave a comment:

• Great Parks
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A small hair salon? A sandwich shop or pub? Someone running a B&B?
    Really not hard when you look outside your own bubble. Many businesses make very little profit especially if they pay salaries rather than just use dividends.
    For that matter, many contractors have profits under £50k once salary and pension and everything is worked out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X