• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying a property that lacks building regs for recent work"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    The property is really good otherwise, hard to let go.
    Is it really that desirable ? A one off ? Have you got any builder mates/contacts who you can take round and get them to take a look, and you are further look. You are likely worrying about nothing other than having to deal with the same issues if you sell down the track and an indemnity will probably get you round that. Worst case scenario the steel can probably be replaced for a grand or two ( and a load of mess ). The extension footings you'd have to live with, if it's not moved yet it probably won't. If the sellers or EA are awkward about further access then walk. With the stamp duty change coming you are probably in a strong position to get money off.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm sorry you want to keep a thread on-topic and helpful into the second day?
    You realise this is CUK General not a DIY forum I assume, the OP has plenty of advice and attention.

In my experience, most people would not bother getting BR sign-off for this sort of work even if done adequately. Brits don't think it's the council's business what they do with their homes.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Older properties tend to have loads of alterations that even the seller might not realise were done, and may have been done when regulations were more lax.

I also know nobody who gets full BR sign-off on everything you're supposed to. An extension I would expect to see something if it was <10 years old but things like walls knocked through and certainly anything you can DIY, well all I can say is I've hardly ever seen anyone have it
    You're talking 'generically' but the specifics here as per the OP

it came to light that the vendor converted the conservatory into an extension of the living area (knocked down the wall/replaced roof). This is fairly recent (3-4 years ago)
    We're talking 3-4 years ago (so building regs would almost certainly be required), converting a conservatory to an extension (so planning probably required), wall replaced, roof replaced ....

Instead of talking generically which doesn't help the OP, look at the specific question eh?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Older properties tend to have loads of alterations that even the seller might not realise were done, and may have been done when regulations were more lax.

I also know nobody who gets full BR sign-off on everything you're supposed to. An extension I would expect to see something if it was <10 years old but things like walls knocked through and certainly anything you can DIY, well all I can say is I've hardly ever seen anyone have it

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Yeah. You can get very emotionally invested but unless there's a really good reason why you MUST have the house, you can find another.

I would reiterate the suggestion of a retainer rather than a reduction though. It might be absolutely fine.

If you buy a property with changes not BR approved, you aren't compelled to make good, or are you? A future buyer can ask, but it's very normal to 'inherit' modifications and have no idea if they were signed off... and of course many unsafe alterations were done before BR approval was required so are technically not breaking a rule.
    No idea if you have to make good ... but if not signed off and the changes were structural I'd want to know why not signed off. It would make me nervous, but as AtW said, if you're happy with the risk and can afford to rectify any issues afterwards then all fine ... but wouldn't be for me personally unless the property was cheap and reflected the risk.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    To be fair walking away is the best thing to do if you aren't going to try to renegotiate the price.

You shouldn't be attached to a house that isn't yours. I know plenty of people who have walked away from properties with issues including shoddy extensions.
    Yeah. You can get very emotionally invested but unless there's a really good reason why you MUST have the house, you can find another.

I would reiterate the suggestion of a retainer rather than a reduction though. It might be absolutely fine.

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    It's not about planning, it's about building regs.

We had a kitchen re-fit that resulted in widening a horrible '90s archway that required the old steels to be taken out and new longer steels to be used. We had a structural engineer to state the steels required, and building regs sign off once work was completed. No planning was required as no external changes.

I'm selling my house now and this is one of the questions off my buyer .... to see the engineer report and the building regs.
    If you buy a property with changes not BR approved, you aren't compelled to make good, or are you? A future buyer can ask, but it's very normal to 'inherit' modifications and have no idea if they were signed off... and of course many unsafe alterations were done before BR approval was required so are technically not breaking a rule.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    When I bought my current house, it had a one storey extension at the back, but no paperwork, no planning permission. The house was sold a few times since the extension was built. Anyway, it seems for a one storey extension no planning permission is required and comes under permitted development and my solicitors only asked for an indemnity insurance.
    It's not about planning, it's about building regs.

We had a kitchen re-fit that resulted in widening a horrible '90s archway that required the old steels to be taken out and new longer steels to be used. We had a structural engineer to state the steels required, and building regs sign off once work was completed. No planning was required as no external changes.

I'm selling my house now and this is one of the questions off my buyer .... to see the engineer report and the building regs.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    When I bought my current house, it had a one storey extension at the back, but no paperwork, no planning permission. The house was sold a few times since the extension was built. Anyway, it seems for a one storey extension no planning permission is required and comes under permitted development and my solicitors only asked for an indemnity insurance.
    Did they knock down a supporting wall?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    Personally I would walk away.
    Even if you negotiate a hefty discount and remedy the OP issues. (Probably demolition and rebuild with regs) it will probably be a problem sale later on.
    There is the other issue that this property is also potentially hiding some other costly and nasty surprises.
    Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post
    My biggest concerned would be they have actively lied on the property information form to try and conceal this from you. What else have they lied about?
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Give it a miss unless you can afford to "self-insure" (have enough money to spend fixing it and still think it was a good deal).
    +1

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You need to get on with your life.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk
    To be fair walking away is the best thing to do if you aren't going to try to renegotiate the price.

You shouldn't be attached to a house that isn't yours. I know plenty of people who have walked away from properties with issues including shoddy extensions.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Well I have solid evidence that they lied and they admitted to it. On what grounds could I sue them?
    You need to get on with your life.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I would not recommend court action in your case; it's too week and some clever QC will find some precedent
    Sales patter, innit?

Unreasonable to expect real estate agent to be honest in ads...

Probably a bigly fine for wasting valueable court time

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Well I have solid evidence that they lied and they admitted to it. On what grounds could I sue them?
    You could try and bluff by sending a letter before action together with a separate letter being a Calderbank offer ( a settlement offer made on a "without prejudice save as to costs") Make the offer two thirds of your claim; you cannot claim more than out of pocked costs. I would not recommend court action in your case; it's too week and some clever QC will find some precedent
    Last edited by Paddy; 11 February 2021, 20:15.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X