• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a property that lacks building regs for recent work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Surely if the footings are undersized and it's not historical work, there's a very real possibility building control could demand you knock it down or rectify? And there's also the very real potential of structural problems in future.

Given how recent it is - I'd tell em to either get it signed off, or forget it.

I'm far from an expert on this (Though if you all recall, I had a crack at DIY building an extension the other year) but conservatory foundations tend to be tiny - little more than you'd put for a garden wall. They're often exempt so chances are a BCO or SE has never ever been near those foundations.
    That's probably why there is no sign off. They have also reconfigured walls and removed a load bearing wall which doesn't have sign off. They are offering to show engineering plans for all this work but still no answer as to why no building regs were signed off. So dodgy

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
      That's probably why there is no sign off. They have also reconfigured walls and removed a load bearing wall which doesn't have sign off. They are offering to show engineering plans for all this work but still no answer as to why no building regs were signed off. So dodgy
      I have something similar which is classed as a workshop extension but it has been there for 70+ years. Other issue is the 3rd floor main building had an RSJ put wall to wall to support a top floor bathroom, again about 70 years ago. The then builders did not realise one wall was original (1833) wood frame and chalk rock. However, everything works fine and no structural movement or issues. The building was bought at a huge discount so I'm not bothered.

Friends house had an "extension" build about 50 years ago, no foundations, single skin brick and boarded roof. It's a damp mess and needs to be demolished.

IMHO, I would make an offer taking into account the cost of demolition and repairs to structural walls etc. If vendor disagrees, then walk.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I have something similar which is classed as a workshop extension but it has been there for 70+ years. Other issue is the 3rd floor main building had an RSJ put wall to wall to support a top floor bathroom, again about 70 years ago. The then builders did not realise one wall was original (1833) wood frame and chalk rock. However, everything works fine and no structural movement or issues. The building was bought at a huge discount so I'm not bothered.

Friends house had an "extension" build about 50 years ago, no foundations, single skin brick and boarded roof. It's a damp mess and needs to be demolished.

IMHO, I would make an offer taking into account the cost of demolition and repairs to structural walls etc. If vendor disagrees, then walk.
        They will probably remarket the house. I do wonder if I could sue them somehow for lying on the property information form but since contracts haven't been exchanged...

Comment

They will probably remarket the house. I do wonder if I could sue them somehow for lying on the property information form but since contracts haven't been exchanged...
          Good news - you can sue them!

Bad news - seems unlikely you’d win anything worth the hassle

Be careful leaving any reviews on Trust Pilot...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Good news - you can sue them!

Bad news - seems unlikely you’d win anything worth the hassle

Be careful leaving any reviews on Trust Pilot...
            Well I have solid evidence that they lied and they admitted to it. On what grounds could I sue them?

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
              How can he do that if he cant inspect the footings?
              You get a builder to dig a test pit before the structural engineer comes around.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Well I have solid evidence that they lied and they admitted to it. On what grounds could I sue them?
                You could try and bluff by sending a letter before action together with a separate letter being a Calderbank offer ( a settlement offer made on a "without prejudice save as to costs") Make the offer two thirds of your claim; you cannot claim more than out of pocked costs. I would not recommend court action in your case; it's too week and some clever QC will find some precedent
                Last edited by Paddy; 11 February 2021, 20:15.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  I would not recommend court action in your case; it's too week and some clever QC will find some precedent
                  Sales patter, innit?

Unreasonable to expect real estate agent to be honest in ads...

Probably a bigly fine for wasting valueable court time

Comment

You need to get on with your life.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      You need to get on with your life.

mi fone did this on tappy tawk
                      To be fair walking away is the best thing to do if you aren't going to try to renegotiate the price.

You shouldn't be attached to a house that isn't yours. I know plenty of people who have walked away from properties with issues including shoddy extensions.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X