• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Employers could insist all staff get vaccinated under health and safety law"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    .. and will have worse side-effects to vaccination on average than those who haven't caught the virus.
    Really? How odd, I'd have thought it was the opposite.

But then if side effects are a manfestation of the body's immune system kicking in more promptly, I suppose it does make sense.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Just do them later.
    They have to wait a minimum of 30 days before being vaccinated and will have worse side-effects to vaccination on average than those who haven't caught the virus.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    But is there any point in vaccinating those who have already copped a dose and recovered? It just means fewer vaccines for those who haven't.
    Just do them later.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    She may have a sausage fixation

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    He can't be worst than Boris unless you are a squirrel....
    worse

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

Mandatory vaccination could be done if there was the political will to do it.
    But is there any point in vaccinating those who have already copped a dose and recovered? It just means fewer vaccines for those who haven't.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    AtW for PM!
    He can't be worst than Boris unless you are a squirrel....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No brainer for businesses with customer facing staff - pubs, shops etc - should be legally required to have all needed vaccinations if say can see daily people from more than X households: no jab == no job in cases like this.
    AtW for PM!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I was trying to remember which ones. I was thinking Hep A too for some countries?
    Thats just Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    There is more with certain conditions in the CEV group.

Mandatory is not the way forward, would you be happy with people being restrained to do it? And I think most people would be reluctant to give it too.

Persuasion is the best option and if other countries and airlines insist, then that will eventually get most done. Also there is anecdotal evidence that if peers have it more reluctant people will get it, peer pressure is a big influence on behavioral patterns.
    Yes. Yes I would. It's about public health not individual freedom.
    I would start with anyone refusing a vaccine as them opting out of NHS treatment.
    Same with organ donations. When you're dead you become the property of the NHS.

Allowing the opt out of NHS is me being a libertarian.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No brainer for businesses with customer facing staff - pubs, shops etc - should be legally required to have all needed vaccinations if say can see daily people from more than X households: no jab == no job in cases like this.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    What if a whole country has a completely shot healthcare system? Just ban all traffic and leave them to it?

That's a bit mean on EU citizens...

Leave a comment:

• some guy some where
    replied
    I suspect its a legal & HR nightmare most employers will stay well clear of..

Whilst this might be true for other vaccines, one of the problem with the covid vaccines is they have only been authorized for emergency use. Whilst the government can shield itself from liability though legislation - you're limited to only being able to claim upto £120k if it seriously harms you.

For business have a different problem, if you tell someone they must take the vaccines or be fired, you could then held liable for any harm caused by it. Interestingly its probably less of a problem advertising that you must be vaccinated to apply for a position, but then that could also be considered indirect disability discrimination, as some people due to medical conditions / allergies would not be able to have the vaccine. Add to that any court cases would probably end up being heard 2/3 years in the future when the narrative around covid will have changed...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    However, if everyone who can have it, has it, then those that can't (and I don't believe its huge swathes) are less likely to come into contact with Covid. Personally I think the fact that the vaccine reduces transmission makes it a moral imperative to have it if offered. Public pressure will force the issue, as people won't enter into places or vehicles (esp. aeroplanes) unless safe, SAGA are already offering cruises to those that have had the jab.. Those that can't have it should be issued with an exemption certificate to help prevent abuse.
    What if a whole country has a completely shot healthcare system? Just ban all traffic and leave them to it?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Yellow fever is one where some countries e.g. Ghana, South Africa require non-residents/passport holders to prove that they have had it.

I remember this for variety of reasons. One of them is because a South African anti-vaxxer rung up and said you didn't have to prove you had Yellow fever. The presenter pointed out that she had a SA passport....
    I was trying to remember which ones. I was thinking Hep A too for some countries?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X