• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employers could insist all staff get vaccinated under health and safety law

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“ Employers can insist that all of their staff get vaccinated against Covid under laws governing health and safety at work, ministers believe.

The idea of 'vaccine passports' - which would allow employers to insist upon proof of vaccination - have been dismissed by vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi as "discriminatory" and "not how we do things in the UK ".

However, the Telegraph understands that the issue is at the centre of a row in Cabinet, with some ministers arguing in favour of the scheme.

Whitehall sources believe that companies who adopt a "jab for a job" stance are protected by current health and safety laws which require workers to protect not only themselves, but also colleagues from harm.”

Every CUK poster should be required to get it before being allowed to post

UK residents have shown themselves very complient when being told what to do over the last year. I am starting to think UK residents might need saving from the oppressive government. If only there was some sort of confederation of European nations we could join to save us. Actually forget it, I can never see it happening.

Comment

What is concerning is the instruction leaflet for mass vaccination

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I do agree that vaccine passports are discriminatory, that is exactly the point. They provide a mechanism for governments to decide who is "safe" to allow into their country.

Immediately you can see that will exclude huge swathes of people who cannot access a vaccine for one reason or another and be open to abuse to restrict movement.

I think it's good that (at the moment) HMG are not going down that path but I can see it becoming more and more necessary to prove vaccination before other countries allow entry. I know there's some jabs you have to prove you've had before you travel but if the vaccines have to be changed regularly to keep up with the way the virus evolves, it'd soon become a nightmare to prove you've got the right jab.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I do agree that vaccine passports are discriminatory, that is exactly the point. They provide a mechanism for governments to decide who is "safe" to allow into their country.

Immediately you can see that will exclude huge swathes of people who cannot access a vaccine for one reason or another and be open to abuse to restrict movement.

I think it's good that (at the moment) HMG are not going down that path but I can see it becoming more and more necessary to prove vaccination before other countries allow entry. I know there's some jabs you have to prove you've had before you travel but if the vaccines have to be changed regularly to keep up with the way the virus evolves, it'd soon become a nightmare to prove you've got the right jab.
          Controlling UK boarders was a major argument for Brexit, unfortunately it works both ways including blocking Brits for any reason.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

However, if everyone who can have it, has it, then those that can't (and I don't believe its huge swathes) are less likely to come into contact with Covid. Personally I think the fact that the vaccine reduces transmission makes it a moral imperative to have it if offered. Public pressure will force the issue, as people won't enter into places or vehicles (esp. aeroplanes) unless safe, SAGA are already offering cruises to those that have had the jab.. Those that can't have it should be issued with an exemption certificate to help prevent abuse.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Yellow fever is one where some countries e.g. Ghana, South Africa require non-residents/passport holders to prove that they have had it.

I remember this for variety of reasons. One of them is because a South African anti-vaxxer rung up and said you didn't have to prove you had Yellow fever. The presenter pointed out that she had a SA passport....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                However, if everyone who can have it, has it, then those that can't (and I don't believe its huge swathes) are less likely to come into contact with Covid. Personally I think the fact that the vaccine reduces transmission makes it a moral imperative to have it if offered. Public pressure will force the issue, as people won't enter into places or vehicles (esp. aeroplanes) unless safe, SAGA are already offering cruises to those that have had the jab.. Those that can't have it should be issued with an exemption certificate to help prevent abuse.
                wasn't it 2 people in a 43,000 cohort trial who had an adverse reaction? And they survived. That's approx 3,000 people in the UK. The same number as the death toll since last Thursday.

Mandatory vaccination could be done if there was the political will to do it.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  wasn't it 2 people in a 43,000 cohort trial who had an adverse reaction? And they survived. That's approx 3,000 people in the UK. The same number as the death toll since last Thursday.

Mandatory vaccination could be done if there was the political will to do it.
                  There is more with certain conditions in the CEV group.

Mandatory is not the way forward, would you be happy with people being restrained to do it? And I think most people would be reluctant to give it too.

Persuasion is the best option and if other countries and airlines insist, then that will eventually get most done. Also there is anecdotal evidence that if peers have it more reluctant people will get it, peer pressure is a big influence on behavioral patterns.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Controlling UK boarders was a major argument for Brexit, unfortunately it works both ways including blocking Brits for any reason.
                    What's that got to do with vaccines?

Borders

Comment

Working...
                    X