• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Reverse..

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reverse.."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    This really creases me up. All the nonsense about the NHS being underfunded and starved of income is down to the pseudo-market for services that Cameron's changes brought in. If removing that market and pushing the Trusts back towards using their combined market presence to get better deals then bring it on. And if that includes using private service providers for filling the gaps that will occur given our ageing population, then that's a good thing as long as the costs are not passed on to the patients.

The money and resources are there, it just needs someone to kick the collective management up their behinds and ensure they are using it properly.
    It's more to stop the private sector like Virgin Health Care doing stuff like this - NHS makes undisclosed settlement to Richard Branson'''s Virgin Care after legal dispute | The Independent | The Independent

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Wales is run by Labour - well, I say "run", the direction is generally downward.
    Its a great shame. The Welsh are fabulous people. Run by idiots. Please don't tell any of the Welsh posters I said that - I have a reputation to keep up.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Could we start with '''Marbella man''' advisor leaves struggling Welsh health board - BBC News please?

Interesting that the Torys are supposed to want a free market. But in reality they set up where their cronies are the winners.
    Wales is run by Labour - well, I say "run", the direction is generally downward.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    This really creases me up. All the nonsense about the NHS being underfunded and starved of income is down to the pseudo-market for services that Cameron's changes brought in. If removing that market and pushing the Trusts back towards using their combined market presence to get better deals then bring it on. And if that includes using private service providers for filling the gaps that will occur given our ageing population, then that's a good thing as long as the costs are not passed on to the patients.

The money and resources are there, it just needs someone to kick the collective management up their behinds and ensure they are using it properly.
    Could we start with '''Marbella man''' advisor leaves struggling Welsh health board - BBC News please?

Interesting that the Torys are supposed to want a free market. But in reality they set up where their cronies are the winners.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    MUSTN'T make obvious xoggoth comment ... Mustn't, mustn't
    I really should has said:

"I hope someone is looking into that for you".

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The reason they'll be leaking it is to gauge opinion amongst the Tories rather than the general public. Any sane person will be for it.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    The reason they'll be leaking it is to gauge opinion amongst the Tories rather than the general public. Any sane person will be for it, but the stiff upper lip, do not apologise brigade may not see it as a good idea.

I think it's a great idea for a changed regime to admit the failings of an old one from the same side of the house.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    I hope you're seeing someone about that!
    MUSTN'T make obvious xoggoth comment ... Mustn't, mustn't

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Leaked my arse.

They're thinking about it so have 'leaked' the plans to gauge the level of outrage and then will either deny (shelve) the plans or go ahead.
    Thing is it is supported so they had no reason to leak it.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Leaked my arse.
    I hope you're seeing someone about that!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Leaked my arse.

They're thinking about it so have 'leaked' the plans to gauge the level of outrage and then will either deny (shelve) the plans or go ahead.
    Every Uk govt does it (leak controversial thinking to test waters)

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Leaked my arse.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Won't make any material difference to the end result

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    started a topic Reverse..

Reverse..

They were told it wouldn't work and now the pandemic shows it doesn't work - not putting the Health Secretary in charge of England's Health service.

Government plans to reverse Cameron NHS reforms - BBC News

Boris Johnson is planning to reverse controversial reforms of the NHS in England, a leaked document reveals.

The changes would see a reduced role for the private sector, while a system of contracts being put out to tender, with health groups sometimes competing against each other, would be scrapped.

The draft policy paper also says the health secretary would take more direct control over NHS England.

It would sweep away reforms introduced by David Cameron's government in 2012.

The 2012 Health and Social Care Act, brought in by the coalition government led by then-Conservative Prime Minister Mr Cameron, alongside his Health Secretary Andrew Lansley, put NHS England at arms length from the secretary of state.

It gave more control over budgets to GPs and other clinicians, while greater competition with the private sector was encouraged.

However, the changes were controversial and attracted criticism from opposition MPs and professional bodies representing doctors, nurses and other NHS workers.

The government's draft White Paper says there will be "enhanced powers of direction for the government" to "ensure that decision makers overseeing the health system at a national level are effectively held to account".

The document was published by health news website Health Policy Insight.

Instead of a system which required competitive tendering for contracts - sometimes involving private companies - the paper says the NHS and local authorities will be left to run services and told to collaborate with each other.

What is described as needless bureaucracy standing in the way of NHS organisations will be removed under the plans.

There will also be more focus on GPs, hospitals and social care services working together to improve patient care.

Government sources told the BBC the move was an "evolution, not revolution".

Richard Murray, chief executive of health charity The King's Fund, said the proposals amounted to "major reform", giving ministers more direct control of the NHS and public health.

But he raised concerns around the timing of such a move.

"While many might agree with the ultimate objective of more integrated health and care services, there are clear risks in distracting the service when the NHS is still battling Covid-19 and in the midst of the biggest vaccination programme in our history," Mr Murray added.

Working...
X